Debunking the Top Five Myths of Bed & Breakfasts: California's B&B Association ...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if it would be worthwhile addressing these issues right on one's website, or would that seem too defensive?

I wonder if it would be worthwhile addressing these issues right on one's website, or would that seem too defensive?.
These are things that can be addressed in blog posts.
I found it curious that CABBI did not put in links to each b&b that was mentioned in the article. Trying not to play favorites I suppose, but since their names were mentioned I think they should have links to their properties and/or regions.

Did you get the last bandb.com poll? What are you doing specifically to cater to the Gen X/Y crowd? They go on to list things we all do for all of our guests with the exception of catering to afternoon breakfasts and completely redecorating to cater to someone whose decorating style is reminscent of 1960.
The problem with addressing 'issues' is that you then give validity to what is NOT an issue. The whole breakfast thing frosts me. Yes, you are going to be served what I make unless you tell me IN ADVANCE that you cannot eat it. This is NOT a restaurant, it is my home. If my kids had to eat what they were served (and they are Gen X/Y) then you can too. Geez louise, since when are your taste buds so sacrosanct that you can't step outside your comfort zone for a DAY? You want a menu? Go to a friggin' diner. Stay at a hotel with a full service menu and pay $20/person for the privilege.
You have to eat with strangers? Poor you. Again, stay at the hotel and eat with 100 of your best friends and their screaming children at a table that hasn't been cleaned since 6 AM.
READ the damn website of the place you stay. Do they state there is a charge for 'extra' guests? Then they probably allow children. Or maybe they actually stated somewhere in their policies that children are welcome (or not).
I am totally sick of organizations letting guests know that it's not what they think WHEN IT IS WHAT THEY THINK! How about we accept the differences? Embrace that we each are not a cookie cutter B&B? That we do things differently and IT IS OK TO BE DIFFERENT!

Did you get the last bandb.com poll? What are you doing specifically to cater to the Gen X/Y crowd? They go on to list things we all do for all of our guests with the exception of catering to afternoon breakfasts and completely redecorating to cater to someone whose decorating style is reminscent of 1960.
The problem with addressing 'issues' is that you then give validity to what is NOT an issue. The whole breakfast thing frosts me. Yes, you are going to be served what I make unless you tell me IN ADVANCE that you cannot eat it. This is NOT a restaurant, it is my home. If my kids had to eat what they were served (and they are Gen X/Y) then you can too. Geez louise, since when are your taste buds so sacrosanct that you can't step outside your comfort zone for a DAY? You want a menu? Go to a friggin' diner. Stay at a hotel with a full service menu and pay $20/person for the privilege.
You have to eat with strangers? Poor you. Again, stay at the hotel and eat with 100 of your best friends and their screaming children at a table that hasn't been cleaned since 6 AM.
READ the damn website of the place you stay. Do they state there is a charge for 'extra' guests? Then they probably allow children. Or maybe they actually stated somewhere in their policies that children are welcome (or not).
I am totally sick of organizations letting guests know that it's not what they think WHEN IT IS WHAT THEY THINK! How about we accept the differences? Embrace that we each are not a cookie cutter B&B? That we do things differently and IT IS OK TO BE DIFFERENT!.
RIGHT ON!!!

I am totally sick of organizations letting guests know that it's not what they think WHEN IT IS WHAT THEY THINK! How about we accept the differences? Embrace that we each are not a cookie cutter B&B? That we do things differently and IT IS OK TO BE DIFFERENT!.
Morticia said:
I am totally sick of organizations letting guests know that it's not what they think WHEN IT IS WHAT THEY THINK! How about we accept the differences? Embrace that we each are not a cookie cutter B&B? That we do things differently and IT IS OK TO BE DIFFERENT!
Amen.

I totally agree with you. As for what is offered for breakfast - it is called too many choices and you go broke in a month. (20 to 30 items? hmmm, 15 slices of bacon, 4 omelets, 3 bananas, 2 oranges - that is over 20 items isn't it?)
with my tea for instance - they LOVE the fact there are over 100 to choose from and then they stand there, overwhelmed by the choices available.

I totally agree with you. As for what is offered for breakfast - it is called too many choices and you go broke in a month. (20 to 30 items? hmmm, 15 slices of bacon, 4 omelets, 3 bananas, 2 oranges - that is over 20 items isn't it?)
with my tea for instance - they LOVE the fact there are over 100 to choose from and then they stand there, overwhelmed by the choices available.
Can I ask??? With that many teas....how long can they keep and still make good tea? Are they packaged specially to prolong longevity?? Curious as I have some loose leaf teas and I am wondering if they are still any good...Have had for several years...we just don't use it quickly like when we were open.

Can I ask??? With that many teas....how long can they keep and still make good tea? Are they packaged specially to prolong longevity?? Curious as I have some loose leaf teas and I am wondering if they are still any good...Have had for several years...we just don't use it quickly like when we were open.
Most are in tins. Some are in foil packages. Are they still good? I think so. It is up to the tea drinkers to tell me if it is or not - I rarely drink the stuff.

Mortie you need this one a tshirt - it really is one of you best lines yet besides "Where's the elevator?"
You have to eat with strangers? Poor you. Again, "stay at the hotel and eat with 100 of your best friends and their screaming children at a table that hasn't been cleaned since 6 AM"
What ever happened to diversity? Me thinks it is along the same lines and Faux Environmentalism. :)
This article, from what I could see was in response to the BnB fin der article that I posted on here inn the news a week or two ago. This article is addressing some of the same issues/misconceptions that were brought up there.
I blogged a similar reaction - but it was from OUR B&B perspective, not an entire group, but what you will find here vs general views of B&B's.
Actually looking back at it, they may have taken my blog and used it for their responses since I addressed curfews and dough-lees.
Write your blog articles innkeepers - boast what YOU HAVE ON OFFER at YOUR INN! If you are Granny's hugs and kisses "Welcome home" and all that, blog it. If you are adults only, contemporary - blog it. :)

If properly containered tea stays good for a long time. Years as long as it doesn't get damp and moldy.

Mortie you need this one a tshirt - it really is one of you best lines yet besides "Where's the elevator?"
You have to eat with strangers? Poor you. Again, "stay at the hotel and eat with 100 of your best friends and their screaming children at a table that hasn't been cleaned since 6 AM"
What ever happened to diversity? Me thinks it is along the same lines and Faux Environmentalism. :)
This article, from what I could see was in response to the BnB fin der article that I posted on here inn the news a week or two ago. This article is addressing some of the same issues/misconceptions that were brought up there.
I blogged a similar reaction - but it was from OUR B&B perspective, not an entire group, but what you will find here vs general views of B&B's.
Actually looking back at it, they may have taken my blog and used it for their responses since I addressed curfews and dough-lees.
Write your blog articles innkeepers - boast what YOU HAVE ON OFFER at YOUR INN! If you are Granny's hugs and kisses "Welcome home" and all that, blog it. If you are adults only, contemporary - blog it. :)
Here's the thing...I don't know these Gen Xers who want all this lean, mean decor and breakfast all day. (Gen Y doesn't stay here at all.) The Gen X'ers we get are delighted that we geezers who are old enough to be their parents are feeding them the breakfast they never got as kids because everyone was running out the door. They love that we listen to them. That we can understand what they're going thru but we don't have any skin in it so we don't care if they run off to Australia for a year to be surf bums (unlike their own parents who are on them to hang on to their jobs).
It's homey here. They like homey. And if they don't like homey they stay elsewhere. It's really and truly ok that I don't appeal to everyone. The bleeding edge, money is no object crowd that has to have the best and newest of everything would wear me out. Because it's all passe in a year anyway. Then they flit off to the next new thing.
OK, I'm going to jump up on the roof now and sing 'Tradition!' Because that's what I have. Tradition. I bought this place because it had history. I like it. Of course we do upgrades. But a wholesale, toss it out the window it's old upgrade I won't do.

Here's the thing...I don't know these Gen Xers who want all this lean, mean decor and breakfast all day. (Gen Y doesn't stay here at all.) The Gen X'ers we get are delighted that we geezers who are old enough to be their parents are feeding them the breakfast they never got as kids because everyone was running out the door. They love that we listen to them. That we can understand what they're going thru but we don't have any skin in it so we don't care if they run off to Australia for a year to be surf bums (unlike their own parents who are on them to hang on to their jobs).
It's homey here. They like homey. And if they don't like homey they stay elsewhere. It's really and truly ok that I don't appeal to everyone. The bleeding edge, money is no object crowd that has to have the best and newest of everything would wear me out. Because it's all passe in a year anyway. Then they flit off to the next new thing.
OK, I'm going to jump up on the roof now and sing 'Tradition!' Because that's what I have. Tradition. I bought this place because it had history. I like it. Of course we do upgrades. But a wholesale, toss it out the window it's old upgrade I won't do.
You're totally right about tradition. Most b&bs are old historic houses. Now, if I took my old 115 year old farm house and made the interior sleek, modern and new, that would be ridiculous!
We get a lot of Gen Xers. They appreciate the tradition. Of course, they want modern amenities along with it, wi-fi, quality baths & bath products, etc. For those travelers who want sleek and modern, then let them find a lodging property that offers that.

You're totally right about tradition. Most b&bs are old historic houses. Now, if I took my old 115 year old farm house and made the interior sleek, modern and new, that would be ridiculous!
We get a lot of Gen Xers. They appreciate the tradition. Of course, they want modern amenities along with it, wi-fi, quality baths & bath products, etc. For those travelers who want sleek and modern, then let them find a lodging property that offers that.
Breakfast Diva said:
Again, another reason to boast what it is we offer, let it be known. There needn't be any surprises. I have seen a few websites where I believe the inn is misrepresenting what they offer. They say historic home (and it is) and are in a new development, so it is a fine line of making sure what you are selling is accurate. I would not like to have angry guests to deal with.
On the same subject you say toe-may-toe I say toe-mah-toe, so we could have differing views of the same veggie. :)

Breakfast Diva said:
Again, another reason to boast what it is we offer, let it be known. There needn't be any surprises. I have seen a few websites where I believe the inn is misrepresenting what they offer. They say historic home (and it is) and are in a new development, so it is a fine line of making sure what you are selling is accurate. I would not like to have angry guests to deal with.
On the same subject you say toe-may-toe I say toe-mah-toe, so we could have differing views of the same veggie. :)
Joey Bloggs said:
Again, another reason to boast what it is we offer, let it be known. There needn't be any surprises.
Exactly.
Successful B&Bs are those who embrace who and what they are, make no pretense to be something else, offer no apologies for being perfect in their own quirky way, and let it be known far and wide.

Bespoke lodging. A little jewelry store opened up here and advertised bespoke jewelry - not having run across that word before, I had to look it up. One-of-a-kind. That's what a B&B is. I plan to do a blog article about this one day soon.

While I am not perfectly happy with the way Calif answered the myths...I must say this IS an issue. So I disagree with most of you. The fact that someone would not consider staying at my b&b for any of these reasons is lost revenue for me.
Now, could CABBI have improved on their answers? You bet, and they could have monopolized on the diversity of us all. Incidently - another study was done by - dare I say - Trip Advisor - and the number one answer for why someone has never stayed at a b&b was - they never thought of it.
And yes - they DO have to eat with strangers at my B&B, give me their food prefs or eat what I cook, or go hungry - and leave their kids and pets home, but I would rather they called me so I could point them to a b&b that WILL put up with this stuff rather than send them to a hotel. My goal is that they have a good B&B experience and never stay in a big box hotel again. CABBI could do a better job of educating the public, but really, it was a press release to drum up more business in a crappy economy, not anything else.

While I am not perfectly happy with the way Calif answered the myths...I must say this IS an issue. So I disagree with most of you. The fact that someone would not consider staying at my b&b for any of these reasons is lost revenue for me.
Now, could CABBI have improved on their answers? You bet, and they could have monopolized on the diversity of us all. Incidently - another study was done by - dare I say - Trip Advisor - and the number one answer for why someone has never stayed at a b&b was - they never thought of it.
And yes - they DO have to eat with strangers at my B&B, give me their food prefs or eat what I cook, or go hungry - and leave their kids and pets home, but I would rather they called me so I could point them to a b&b that WILL put up with this stuff rather than send them to a hotel. My goal is that they have a good B&B experience and never stay in a big box hotel again. CABBI could do a better job of educating the public, but really, it was a press release to drum up more business in a crappy economy, not anything else.
Here's something that annoys me...the first place mentioned- Laurel Inn is a chain hotel, it is not a 'B&B' as we know it. States right on their own site that it is a hotel. OK, out of the running as far as I'm concerned.
We'll be fending off that bathroom question until the cows come home. No one can convince guests that ALL B&B's don't have shared baths if they find ONE that does.
Elk Cove is also way out of the league of a B&B. 15 rooms, buffet breakfast, it is not a B&B. So, they are not using 'B&B's' to debunk the myths. So far they've use a hotel chain and a spa that serves a continental breakfast.
The curfew thing escapes me. I've never stayed anywhere that told me I had to be in the house at a certain time so I think people get that from TV.
The kids and pets stay home idea? Why is this bad? (And that wasn't # 5 either, they skipped that guests think B&B's are overpriced.)
Who did they ask anyway? Because they trotted out all of the usual suspects.
My point is that to get more guests into B&B's they should stop trying to debunk myths (which just serves to perpetuate them) and focus (like they did in the responses) on the positive things the accommodations do provide. Skip the neg and only focus on the pos. Of course, debunking myths probably gets more column space than 'look at this wonderful B&B.'

Here's something that annoys me...the first place mentioned- Laurel Inn is a chain hotel, it is not a 'B&B' as we know it. States right on their own site that it is a hotel. OK, out of the running as far as I'm concerned.
We'll be fending off that bathroom question until the cows come home. No one can convince guests that ALL B&B's don't have shared baths if they find ONE that does.
Elk Cove is also way out of the league of a B&B. 15 rooms, buffet breakfast, it is not a B&B. So, they are not using 'B&B's' to debunk the myths. So far they've use a hotel chain and a spa that serves a continental breakfast.
The curfew thing escapes me. I've never stayed anywhere that told me I had to be in the house at a certain time so I think people get that from TV.
The kids and pets stay home idea? Why is this bad? (And that wasn't # 5 either, they skipped that guests think B&B's are overpriced.)
Who did they ask anyway? Because they trotted out all of the usual suspects.
My point is that to get more guests into B&B's they should stop trying to debunk myths (which just serves to perpetuate them) and focus (like they did in the responses) on the positive things the accommodations do provide. Skip the neg and only focus on the pos. Of course, debunking myths probably gets more column space than 'look at this wonderful B&B.'
Morticia said:
Okay, Mort, I just have to say that I agree with everything you said here EXCEPT that Elk Cove is not a B&B. Granted it's a large B&B. But the Elk Cove Inn is very much a B&B with a marvelous live-in owner-innkeeper who takes great pride in innkeeping. She is a real gem on the Mendocino coast and so is her B&B.

Back