DEC fines Chester B&B $13500 for violating terms to protect Northern Cricket Frog

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmm. The country has descended to the sub-species. Economics takes a back seat to snail darters, mayflies, bats, and now frogs. Sounds like the group that wants wind power instead of coal but has stopped a wind generator project here because of bats. It is in the courts now. Interesting.....

why didn't the b&b just do what they promised? it's hard to get excited about insects and frogs, but we really do sometimes destroy a local ecosystem without thinking.

why didn't the b&b just do what they promised? it's hard to get excited about insects and frogs, but we really do sometimes destroy a local ecosystem without thinking..
Exactly. If the B&B agreed to certain terms in order to be permitted, it's really hard to feel sorry for them for getting fined when they don't keep their part of the bargain.
Makes us all look bad.

it's hard to understand. i have a friend (not a b&b owner) who blamed his builder for not following an agreement made with the town, the conservation commission and the epa and some other group. but he (the owner) was out at the site repeatedly and, knowing that there were agreements and rules and guidelines and restrictions in place, he seems to have simply looked the other way.

it's hard to understand. i have a friend (not a b&b owner) who blamed his builder for not following an agreement made with the town, the conservation commission and the epa and some other group. but he (the owner) was out at the site repeatedly and, knowing that there were agreements and rules and guidelines and restrictions in place, he seems to have simply looked the other way..
Unfortunately, that's too often the case. If you make a deal, you just have to follow the terms, IMHO.
If the terms are cost-prohibitive, then don't agree to them and go somewhere else. To me, that's just common sense.

why didn't the b&b just do what they promised? it's hard to get excited about insects and frogs, but we really do sometimes destroy a local ecosystem without thinking..
We have a situation in my State now. Please understand efore I begin that I am no fan of the coal company - the coal companies ravaged my Stat and screwed the workers badly. However, through legislation and the passage of time even the coal companies have become enlightened. They DID everything the EPA wnted. They followed the regulations and requirements and were GRANTED their permits. THEN the head of the EPA pulled the permits for another review. HUH??? We are talking about a process that took YEARS, not weeks, and now they have to be reviewed again? We are being told it is on "clean water" issues but they are not saying what is wanted. How can anyone meet standards and follow rules when they are not told what the rules are? And the rules change with the wind. It is like playing a game of poker where nothing was wild and suddenly jacks are wild and the joker is in play.
Yes the environment needed to be cleaned up but common sense needs to be applied also. It has been taken too far. Remember dinosaurs once roamed the Earth. It is an extinct species - and guess what, man had nothing to do with their demise!

We have a situation in my State now. Please understand efore I begin that I am no fan of the coal company - the coal companies ravaged my Stat and screwed the workers badly. However, through legislation and the passage of time even the coal companies have become enlightened. They DID everything the EPA wnted. They followed the regulations and requirements and were GRANTED their permits. THEN the head of the EPA pulled the permits for another review. HUH??? We are talking about a process that took YEARS, not weeks, and now they have to be reviewed again? We are being told it is on "clean water" issues but they are not saying what is wanted. How can anyone meet standards and follow rules when they are not told what the rules are? And the rules change with the wind. It is like playing a game of poker where nothing was wild and suddenly jacks are wild and the joker is in play.
Yes the environment needed to be cleaned up but common sense needs to be applied also. It has been taken too far. Remember dinosaurs once roamed the Earth. It is an extinct species - and guess what, man had nothing to do with their demise!
gillumhouse said:
but creationists believe that man and dinosaur were on the earth together
http://www.creationists.org/dinosaurs-humans-coexisted.html
http://www.dinosaursandman.com/
just stirring the pot, kathleen ... with apologies to any creationists out there, no offense intended.

gillumhouse said:
but creationists believe that man and dinosaur were on the earth together
http://www.creationists.org/dinosaurs-humans-coexisted.html
http://www.dinosaursandman.com/
just stirring the pot, kathleen ... with apologies to any creationists out there, no offense intended.
Was that Cro-magnum or Neanderthal? Interesting. But man is not blamed for the demise. I guess it is the arrogance of man to think that man is big and powerful enough to beat nature. Yes, man has overcome nature on a temproary basis, but if man leaves that place, nature will take it back in just a few years,
The Foreman's Club on the road I grew up on was a beautiful building - huge. They had dinners and dances and Sunrise Services at Easter there. Large grassy area and big parking lot. It became a nursing home for a while. and then it was left. Within 5 years it was overgrown and today, unless you knew there was a building in that "jungle" of vegetation no one would ever guess it was there.

These people have been spraying the whole property with pesticide in order to kill any living thing on it.
and this is NOT a "B&B", they used the term to greewash their enromnous multi room grand hotel & spa in order to get around zoning requirements and make residents believe they were rural-friendly.
Note that it is called the Glenmere manison at their won website.
The community anger over this monstrosity is only mounting daily as it becomes clear that this is NO country Inn or B&B, but, rather, an uber-exclusive spa that plans to charge $2000.00 per NIGHT for upscale guests, while destroying the surrounding countryside.

These people have been spraying the whole property with pesticide in order to kill any living thing on it.
and this is NOT a "B&B", they used the term to greewash their enromnous multi room grand hotel & spa in order to get around zoning requirements and make residents believe they were rural-friendly.
The community anger over this monstrosity is only mounting daily as it becomes clear that this is NO country Inn or B&B, but, rather, an uber-exclusive spa that plans to charge $2000.00 per NIGHT for upscale guests, while destroying the surrounding countryside..
I'm going to guess you're a local. Thank you for the inside info. It's never easy to tell from a newspaper article what is really going on.

The community anger over this monstrosity is only mounting daily as it becomes clear that this is NO country Inn or B&B, but, rather, an uber-exclusive spa that plans to charge $2000.00 per NIGHT for upscale guests, while destroying the surrounding countryside..
In view of your post, I recant previous comments regarding the frogs (only the frogs part). If pesticide has been sprayed they are darn sure no frog will ever been seen there - safe bet (are you sure they are not from Chicago?). And they do not have to worry about getting employees from the area - they will just import them.
Before anyone gets into political objections - there was an airport at Lake Michigan called Meigs Field (private planes only) that the Mayor wanted closed. For years he was thwarted in the legal procedure efforts so one morning at 3 AM City workers were ordered in with jack hammers. My daughter the cop and her partner drove over to check it out. They were told they could not go in and you can imagine the response from her partner, a cop near retirement. She said it was so torn up that they could not even drive around the holes in the runway. The planes that were there had to be disassembled and trucked out - one of them just happened to be from Clarksburg (10 miles from me). That is known as the Chicago way of getting whatever you want.

Back