Decaf please

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
A lot of decaf drinkers this week. Only one coffee maker. I've been making a pot of decaf, putting that in a thermal jug, then carrying it and the regular pot out to do the coffee refills. Anyone have a more efficient way?

You mean having two pots? Or two carafes one with an orange handle?

If you're leaving the coffee on the burner in the coffeepot while you're serving it - stop. Have one carafe (thermal) for decaf and one for regular, and put whichever one you're making in the appropriate carafe. Your guests will thank you. I'm not a coffee drinker but DH's number one complaint when we eat out is burnt coffee from leaving it sit on the burner. Carafes are easier to carry, even two of them, and the coffee stays hot.

If you're leaving the coffee on the burner in the coffeepot while you're serving it - stop. Have one carafe (thermal) for decaf and one for regular, and put whichever one you're making in the appropriate carafe. Your guests will thank you. I'm not a coffee drinker but DH's number one complaint when we eat out is burnt coffee from leaving it sit on the burner. Carafes are easier to carry, even two of them, and the coffee stays hot..
I agree with Muirford. All coffee should be taken off of the burner immediately and put in caraffes. Coffee makers are pretty inexpensive, so I would suggest having two if it's taking too long to make two pots from one machine

We have a double-decker Bunn and 4 carafes. They are constantly being cycled thru. The Bunn is kind of pricey, but it's pretty fast. We have a separate double heating element so we make a pot and move it over to where the guests can reach it.
There are days I can't keep up, either because the Bunn only brews one pot at a time.
Based on experience and my particular layout, guests would not use the nice stainless airpots if they saw I was making 'fresh' coffee on the Bunn. They would say, 'I'll wait for the hot coffee,' so we put the airpots away and let the coffee burn on the heating element.
wink_smile.gif

I purchased a Bunn machine with a thermal pot, no warmer at the bottom, which brews a pot of coffee in 3 minutes.. It will brew 2 pots every 15 minutes (water reserve needs time to return to correct temp.) These are good if you serve coffee everyday, not good for the occasional coffee drinker because the machine does use electricty at all times to keep the reserve water hot.
That is what saves me when we have need of decaf (I do not brew unless it is requested.) I have 2 different styles of carafes as well as the one that came with the Bunn - having it always available to brew another pot if needed.

I purchased a Bunn machine with a thermal pot, no warmer at the bottom, which brews a pot of coffee in 3 minutes.. It will brew 2 pots every 15 minutes (water reserve needs time to return to correct temp.) These are good if you serve coffee everyday, not good for the occasional coffee drinker because the machine does use electricty at all times to keep the reserve water hot.
That is what saves me when we have need of decaf (I do not brew unless it is requested.) I have 2 different styles of carafes as well as the one that came with the Bunn - having it always available to brew another pot if needed..
copperhead said:
That is what saves me when we have need of decaf (I do not brew unless it is requested.) I have 2 different styles of carafes as well as the one that came with the Bunn - having it always available to brew another pot if needed.
Put the Bunn on a timer! It turns off after brekkie, no all day heating and reheating! Then have it turn back on around 5 or 6 AM! Seriously. Save big electricity bucks. Plus, the water isn't heating all the time leaving calcium deposits behind.

Am I the only one with a separate coffee maker for decaf? Me who rarely ever serves that green stuff. Funny is used to be the orange, but packaging is always green. LOL!

Anyone ever consider a rehaul of their coffee operations?
I ask as we had damage to a carafe and I will need to get a new one or ones, this one kept the coffee hot for three days, it was fantastic! Now we have some uglier units out, not the stainless steel ones I love. I need to shop though, many have plastic handles on them that break, even though the unit is all insulated stainless.

we have 2 coffee pots... used for making regular for lots of coffee drinkers or 1 reg and 1 decaf. We have some white plastic carafes for S am's that work okay but want to invest in some nicer stainless, better temp holding carafes. Looks like I'll be putting this on my A mazon wishlist for birthday or christmas.

I haunt the Penny Pincher and go to resale shops. I have 5 coffee pots - 4 regular size (an 8 to 10 cup and the other 3 are 10 - 12 cup) and the 5th pot is an up to 24 cup. I paid retail for the 24 cup (I think) back in Illinois years ago and retail for one of the others. ALL the rest were $2 to $5 at resale shops.
I have one very nice white carafe that has a snap button pour/thermal lid and 2 Pfaltzgraff carafes that I hate but will keep until I find another of the straight design (they have a bulbous bottom as opposed to straight up & down). As soon as I find another "good" carafe, the Penny Pincher will get another donation. I have a set of dishes I bought there for $20 that DH likes a lot because they are pretty, sturdy, and not heavy.

Thanks folks!
It will be two nice looking thermal carafes going forward.
At the start of the day, I brew up a pot to take upstairs an hour before breakfast time (they chose time) It goes into a large airpot, so they can just wake up and get that first cup (or 4) before they come down to breakfast. Normally, while they're on their fruit salads, I grind and brew another small pot, which is poured fresh into their cups when the main course is served. No coffee hangs around more than 10 min. on the warmer.
I haven't had any decaf people in ages, then generally both in a couple preferred it. This particular week I've had to be pretty quick on the draw with brewing and refilling my one small thermal carafe! Its clear I need two, now to find two that I can stand the look of, and actually keep the coffee hot!

Thanks folks!
At the start of the day, I brew up a pot to take upstairs an hour before breakfast time (they chose time) It goes into a large airpot, so they can just wake up and get that first cup (or 4) before they come down to breakfast. Normally, while they're on their fruit salads, I grind and brew another small pot, which is poured fresh into their cups when the main course is served. No coffee hangs around more than 10 min. on the warmer.
I haven't had any decaf people in ages, then generally both in a couple preferred it. This particular week I've had to be pretty quick on the draw with brewing and refilling my one small thermal carafe! Its clear I need two, now to find two that I can stand the look of, and actually keep the coffee hot!.
2 days ago I had one decafe and one regular and roasted the beans. I keep the roasted beans in pint mason jars and those decafe beans will not be requested until ?????
Last night I came home from the Council meeting at 9:30 (my City Manager finished the minute taking for me) and had to roast 2 countries of beans - one for her and one for him (she chose them) - and HE drank the one SHE chose! I think they did try both though.
My third guest wanted iced tea. For her i brewed a very strong tea last night and then put it into the freezer to make an ice block to put into a pitcher (used a pretty teapot) with cold water this motning. I guess it worked because she liked it. (Or said she did)

We put the decaf in a carafe and just serve the regular right out of the coffee pot. It goes so quickly, it doesn't have time to burn.

i always made two pots of coffee ... big ones ... for 8 rooms
after breakfast, i transferred the coffee into carafes and put it in the guest library for a while.
you know the big, old fashioned kind.
may i suggest someone might want to take advantage of the gevalia coffee promotions that are always running ... my favorite is the one with the stainless carafe. but other times, it's the glass one. buy some wonderful coffee, get a free coffee maker for about $15. cancel the program if you don't want to buy any more coffee ... ever .. but you can wait to order again for months and months. or you can cancel if you really don't like the coffee and keep the coffee maker.
it's a nice looking coffee maker. makes 12 cups.

Am I the only one with a separate coffee maker for decaf? Me who rarely ever serves that green stuff. Funny is used to be the orange, but packaging is always green. LOL!.
Nope you're not alone. I actually have 3 coffee makers that I used for the B&B. One brews directly into a carafe. I still always put coffee into stainless steel carafes for guests once it was brewed and do it for ourselves now...no sitting on the warmer here. :)

Thanks folks!
I haven't had any decaf people in ages, then generally both in a couple preferred it. This particular week I've had to be pretty quick on the draw with brewing and refilling my one small thermal carafe! Its clear I need two, now to find two that I can stand the look of, and actually keep the coffee hot!.
Your decaf guests like myself do thank you! :)

We have caffitiers in the European style you just spoon in the grounds and then add boiling water and then you have hot coffee individually made for each customer. we have ground decaf for those who need it. it also helps reduce waste.

In Australia they call those coffee plungers, in the US we call them French Presses.

We have two big stainless steel pump pots, each holding 12 cups.

Back