Declined CC on deposit

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
How many different ways do you use to contact a guest whose credit card is declined when you process the deposit? Phone call, email, smoke signals? Do you have a set time frame after which you don't hold the reservation once you have tried contacting the guests?

phone call .. right away ... as though it's all a misunderstanding. but i never left a message saying a card was declined, i left a message saying we were unable to process their reservation and to call. followed up by email saying the same thing.
sometimes it was just the new expiration date and i often tried again same month but four years away. like if they said expiration date was 10/2011, sometimes the card had just expired and was now 10/2015.

phone call .. right away ... as though it's all a misunderstanding. but i never left a message saying a card was declined, i left a message saying we were unable to process their reservation and to call. followed up by email saying the same thing.
sometimes it was just the new expiration date and i often tried again same month but four years away. like if they said expiration date was 10/2011, sometimes the card had just expired and was now 10/2015..
This one seemed to be new, expiry in 14. No one answered so they have a message waiting for when they get home.

I would give them no more than 24hrs to reply...
If you are taking deposit at time of booking, 24 hrs seems fitting - unless it is a last min. rez. or a busy date... And make sure you let them know in the message - I will hold the room until .... for your reply.

sometimes it was just the new expiration date and i often tried again same month but four years away. like if they said expiration date was 10/2011, sometimes the card had just expired and was now 10/2015..
Wow, so glad I just read this post! Just had someone check out while I was away and DH was left in charge... I told him to be sure to get their CC info because the exp date on card used for deposit had passed. Of course, he forgot...
confused_smile.gif
... but I kinda blame myself as I had 4 whole days to ask them before checkout date......
Anyway, it's near a $1000 balance they had (they were in our most expensive suite with no discounts) AND they were leaving the country not returning home for another two weeks!!! I tried calling cell a few times and left a message. They were awesome guests and swore they planned to return, but you never really know... I was starting to think maybe they would avoid me and skip the bill if they could...
So, as soon as I read this I whipped out their reservation sheet and ran the card with the adjusted date and VOILA!!! it went through!!! Thank you....thank you....thank you!!!!
teeth_smile.gif

I've now tried all the phone numbers and the email address with no response. Tomorrow I let them know via all the sources that their reservation has been cancelled. It's really bothering me to do this b ecause they may be out of cell range wherever they are and I can't squeeze them in once I cancel them.
OTOH, if they really don't show we're out the whole stay because the card is bad.

Just heard from guest. Reservation was for tomorrow. Contacted him last Friday, 3 different ways. Do people think we hold onto rooms that are not paid for? He's just lucky the room was not rebooked.

Just heard from guest. Reservation was for tomorrow. Contacted him last Friday, 3 different ways. Do people think we hold onto rooms that are not paid for? He's just lucky the room was not rebooked..
So what type of message did you leave for him? Just wondering if he understood the urgency of your call.

Just heard from guest. Reservation was for tomorrow. Contacted him last Friday, 3 different ways. Do people think we hold onto rooms that are not paid for? He's just lucky the room was not rebooked..
So what type of message did you leave for him? Just wondering if he understood the urgency of your call.
The first was the standard 'we're experiencing problems processing your deposit.' Then it was 'please call as there is a problem with your reservation' and the email that stated we cannot hold the reservation without a valid credit card. All of them sent Fri - Sun.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but we just switched to ReservationKey (love it, love it, love it!) What kind of message is generated when a credit card is declined on ReservationKey? I have it set up to take the first night's deposit when they make their reservation. So far, everyone has provided a good credit card number and the reservation have gone through. Just curious as to what happens when they don't.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but we just switched to ReservationKey (love it, love it, love it!) What kind of message is generated when a credit card is declined on ReservationKey? I have it set up to take the first night's deposit when they make their reservation. So far, everyone has provided a good credit card number and the reservation have gone through. Just curious as to what happens when they don't..
I think you're the first one on here to use the auth.net with ResKey. You're going to have to be the guinea pig on that one!

Not trying to hijack this thread, but we just switched to ReservationKey (love it, love it, love it!) What kind of message is generated when a credit card is declined on ReservationKey? I have it set up to take the first night's deposit when they make their reservation. So far, everyone has provided a good credit card number and the reservation have gone through. Just curious as to what happens when they don't..
I think you're the first one on here to use the auth.net with ResKey. You're going to have to be the guinea pig on that one!
Breakfast Diva said:
BD will you add the check box to your page for the policies, I just did. Go to CUSTOM MESSAGES. Then add that, then go back to reservation pages and make sure it is ticked to appear on your reserv page.
You can view mine to see it.
Thanks PT, I got a glimpse of it off your page.
cheers.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
BD will you add the check box to your page for the policies, I just did. Go to CUSTOM MESSAGES. Then add that, then go back to reservation pages and make sure it is ticked to appear on your reserv page.
cheers.gif

Thanks JB. I added it, but I put on a "yes" to click. I don't want anyone to click "no"!
JB, I don't know if it's my computer, but when I went on your Reskey and switched it to view calendar mode, the page comes up looking bad and is showing codes, etc.

Breakfast Diva said:
cheers.gif

Thanks JB. I added it, but I put on a "yes" to click. I don't want anyone to click "no"!
JB, I don't know if it's my computer, but when I went on your Reskey and switched it to view calendar mode, the page comes up looking bad and is showing codes, etc.
ARRRGHHH!!! Thanks for pointing that out. I figured it out, I have a quotation mark in the cottage title. thanks again for catching it!
I will work on the page a bit more over the winter to add custom colors and header, I added it as a trial and never looked back! I still love it as well. I need to go and add packages and other assorted goodies, later on...it is on the list! (I removed the "NO" on the policies too)

Breakfast Diva said:
cheers.gif

ARRRGHHH!!! Thanks for pointing that out. I figured it out, I have a quotation mark in the cottage title. thanks again for catching it!
I will work on the page a bit more over the winter to add custom colors and header, I added it as a trial and never looked back! I still love it as well. I need to go and add packages and other assorted goodies, later on...it is on the list! (I removed the "NO" on the policies too)
It's looking good now!

Breakfast Diva said:
cheers.gif

It's looking good now!
John said maybe he should add the ability to add quotes in the room names. I said, don't bother. I used AKA instead, I was just trying to be cute. Cute isn't always feasible. haha

Breakfast Diva said:
cheers.gif

It's looking good now!
John said maybe he should add the ability to add quotes in the room names. I said, don't bother. I used AKA instead, I was just trying to be cute. Cute isn't always feasible. haha
I guess it's one of those "stick with the facts ma'am" moments! I've done something that put a little glitch in my packages list, but it's so tiny, I'm not going to deal with it right now. It goes on the 'things to do in the slow season list'. The problem is that list is so long, it's sure going to take discipline to get to it all! Slow season=no discipline. I want to be a slug for a while! We haven't had a day off since the beginning of May. No wonder I have a snarky attitude right about now
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
cheers.gif

It's looking good now!
I guess it's one of those "stick with the facts ma'am" moments! I've done something that put a little glitch in my packages list, but it's so tiny, I'm not going to deal with it right now. It goes on the 'things to do in the slow season list'. The problem is that list is so long, it's sure going to take discipline to get to it all! Slow season=no discipline. I want to be a slug for a while! We haven't had a day off since the beginning of May. No wonder I have a snarky attitude right about now

Breakfast Diva said:
We haven't had a day off since the beginning of May. No wonder I have a snarky attitude right about now
Amen sistuh! 18 more days and I get to put my feet up! I get to loll around while someone else feeds me and cleans my room! (Of course I will tell them to not bother with my room! AND, I will leave a tip anyway!)

Breakfast Diva said:
cheers.gif

It's looking good now!

Breakfast Diva said:
We haven't had a day off since the beginning of May. No wonder I have a snarky attitude right about now
Amen sistuh! 18 more days and I get to put my feet up! I get to loll around while someone else feeds me and cleans my room! (Of course I will tell them to not bother with my room! AND, I will leave a tip anyway!)
WHOO HOO!!!! WHERE YOU GOING???

Back