Declined Transaction

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about it being confusing as in the UK all hotels at least swipe a card on arrival and pre-authorise so people are getting used to it. I know we would perfer cash but I myself am more inclined to money in the bank than blowing in the wind! A lot of places round where I am if people book online they are charging the card right away as some online companies charge when you book so for the ones that don't they pass on the card details to the B&B and they decide whether to charge or not which leads to a lot of customers thinking they have paid when they havn't. I had a lady ring me in a panic becuase the thought she had booked with us (we don't charge in advance) as all the money had gone out of her account (she wasn't comming for 3 months) it wasn't us but it was one of our neighbours (completely different name woman was a bit of an idiot) and they charge every online booking when it comes in irrespective of when they are comming. Thought that was a bit harsh but I figure if it is in their policies then it is their business..
Camberley, you bring up the most important facts. It is the guest responsibility to know and understand the policies of where they book. We are all not the same, and neither are our policies. To assume we are the same is a big risk on their part. (As the saying goes about the word assume.)
I have even noticed that some of the large booking directories have placed reminders in this regard on their websites. But in todays world of the "MeMeMeMeMe", it can't be their neglect it is always blame on someone else.
I am astonished by the number of people who walk in and tell me they saw the charge on their credit card bill so why do I need their card now. I let them know we don't charge the stay in advance and if they find they've been charged more than once, to give us a call. You can see the hesitation and many say, 'Well SOME PLACE charged me.' Ok, then, it wasn't me. I tell them that if they are going to a really high tourist area then that's who charged them because too many people cancel on those places.

A guest last week gave me his v code over the phone and said "That ought to save you a lot of money"
What the!
Swiping the card, not taking flippin' cash back cards out to save me a lot of money...pay me cash, someone anyone please!

A guest last week gave me his v code over the phone and said "That ought to save you a lot of money"
What the!
Swiping the card, not taking flippin' cash back cards out to save me a lot of money...pay me cash, someone anyone please!.
I have actually had guests tell me as they handed me a check how they "understand the credit card fees".... Bless those wonderful people!

Since this came up.... TONIGHTS Guests are biking the trail. They gave me two different cards... neither worked... both came back.. "can not use this card for this transaction" Guests can't explain that (me either)...
They have no check book with them, I suggested they go to the ATM and get cash, they state their cc does not allow them to take out cash... They say they will 'mail' me a check when they get home tomorrow... (home is one town away). SO... hmmmm what do I do. I didn't know what to do so I told them it was ok to mail me a check! I know I will probably never see it!
BUT incase its all true... and they really are honest people we still have to treat them well and 'assume' they will pay.....
Sunshine said:
Since this came up.... TONIGHTS Guests are biking the trail. They gave me two different cards... neither worked... both came back.. "can not use this card for this transaction" Guests can't explain that (me either)...
They have no check book with them, I suggested they go to the ATM and get cash, they state their cc does not allow them to take out cash... They say they will 'mail' me a check when they get home tomorrow... (home is one town away). SO... hmmmm what do I do. I didn't know what to do so I told them it was ok to mail me a check! I know I will probably never see it!
BUT incase its all true... and they really are honest people we still have to treat them well and 'assume' they will pay....
THIS is why you should always get a pre-authorization for a credit card. If it's declined up front, then it falls to the guest to resolve the problem. Until then you're not beholding to confirm their reservation.

BUT incase its all true... and they really are honest people we still have to treat them well and 'assume' they will pay.....
Sunshine said:
BUT incase its all true... and they really are honest people we still have to treat them well and 'assume' they will pay....
THIS is why you should always get a pre-authorization for a credit card. If it's declined up front, then it falls to the guest to resolve the problem. Until then you're not beholding to confirm their reservation.
We don't charge the deposit, but may have to in the future. But with Webervations refusing to give me the three digit code, this means we would have to call EVERY GUEST for the code that they know they entered when they filled out my reservation form. Why are they going to believe that I'm using a system that asks for information but won't give it to me? I would not.
And by the way, if they cannot give ME that three digit code, then why is the system asking for it???????
RIki

Sunshine said:
We don't charge the deposit, but may have to in the future. But with Webervations refusing to give me the three digit code, this means we would have to call EVERY GUEST for the code that they know they entered when they filled out my reservation form. Why are they going to believe that I'm using a system that asks for information but won't give it to me? I would not.
And by the way, if they cannot give ME that three digit code, then why is the system asking for it???????
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Why do you need the code? If it is because your processor says you have to have it to do a non-swiped transaction, ask them for another option. All of those new regs are due to start next year for smaller businesses. Your processor will need to provide you with another option other than you collecting and STORING that number. (That's the bugaboo...'storing' the numbers.)

Sunshine said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Why do you need the code? If it is because your processor says you have to have it to do a non-swiped transaction, ask them for another option. All of those new regs are due to start next year for smaller businesses. Your processor will need to provide you with another option other than you collecting and STORING that number. (That's the bugaboo...'storing' the numbers.)
[/quote]
Right...when webervations stopped capturing the CV code, I contacted my processor and they switched my method of processing to an online virtual terminal, and waa-laa.

Sunshine said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Morticia said:
egoodell said:
RIki
I'll check, but I believe I was told that we need the code. street number and zip code to process with no card. It may just apply to the tour machine as that one is newer. But I was told it was required. Period. It could be to maintain the lowest fee charged?
RIki

I am the same as Riki, I need to code. I want the code.
I now get the code on every transaction via rezkey, this has also halted what I ask you? Halted the THIRD PARTY CC info I was getting a lot last year!!!
"GET THE CODE"
another innkeeper tshirt slogan idea. :)

Sunshine said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Morticia said:
egoodell said:
RIki
I'll check, but I believe I was told that we need the code. street number and zip code to process with no card. It may just apply to the tour machine as that one is newer. But I was told it was required. Period. It could be to maintain the lowest fee charged?
RIki
If your processor requires it it might do some good to research the new regs and point them out to the processor. Unless they are willing to foot the bill if your system gets hacked, they cannot require you to capture and store that number.
This is from Visa...so you see you can ask for it, but you cannot store it. OK, the cut and paste didn't work so here's the URL
Do a search on 'CVV2' and you will get all the pages referring to the code. This is not from a processor it is from the owner of the cards...Visa.
Part of the problem we encounter is that the number is stored until we delete it. Depending on when you might charge the card it could be a few minutes to a year.

I want the code. I will continue to request the code. But thanks for reminding me to purge my old cc details in my system. Better go do that now...

I want the code. I will continue to request the code. But thanks for reminding me to purge my old cc details in my system. Better go do that now....
I don't think I've ever asked for the code, because my machine doesn't require it when hand entering a transaction. Do you get this to ensure the card is in their possession, or are you required to have it by your processor, or? I wonder if I should start asking for this, although..my problem has never been a stolen card.

Sunshine said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Strange, I use Webervations and it doesn't ask for the CVC code.
My credit card processor used to require the CVC code, but now only ask for the zipcode. How secure is that?

Webers used to ask for it and now won't allow it on their forms due to PCI compliance issues.

I want the code. I will continue to request the code. But thanks for reminding me to purge my old cc details in my system. Better go do that now....
I don't think I've ever asked for the code, because my machine doesn't require it when hand entering a transaction. Do you get this to ensure the card is in their possession, or are you required to have it by your processor, or? I wonder if I should start asking for this, although..my problem has never been a stolen card.
Yes this was to ensure the card is in their possession. My processer never wanted that number. For me to run the card, I need the address (street #) and zipcode of where they receive their bill on their card... If it is a PO box, they need to provide me with that instead (or along with) their home address.
If they provide the wrong info, it does not mean the transaction will not go through, but it will go through with a flagged code. This will not only cause me to be charged a different transaction rate, but will also flag the CC co. incase they get several transactions like that for that card - then a call or letter may follow to ensure the use is not fraudulent.

Yes this was to ensure the card is in their possession. My processer never wanted that number. For me to run the card, I need the address (street #) and zipcode of where they receive their bill on their card... If it is a PO box, they need to provide me with that instead (or along with) their home address.
If they provide the wrong info, it does not mean the transaction will not go through, but it will go through with a flagged code. This will not only cause me to be charged a different transaction rate, but will also flag the CC co. incase they get several transactions like that for that card - then a call or letter may follow to ensure the use is not fraudulent.
We got a new cc a few years ago because the original was compromised. First transaction Gomez did on it he entered the wrong zip code online. The transaction went thru because it was under their 'warning' amount, but you are right, the card was flagged. He tried to use the card the very next day in another country and it was declined.

Sunshine said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
My credit card processor used to require the CVC code, but now only ask for the zipcode. How secure is that?
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Webervations takes the CVC code but does not give it to me, so I'm asking why do they take it then in the first place. Originally they gave it to me in the booking but stopped since they say the law does not allow it to be stored.
Actually I'm not talking about Webervations. I'm talking about my credit card processor. To run the credit card I need all this info.
RIki

Sunshine said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Webervations takes the CVC code but does not give it to me, so I'm asking why do they take it then in the first place. Originally they gave it to me in the booking but stopped since they say the law does not allow it to be stored.
Actually I'm not talking about Webervations. I'm talking about my credit card processor. To run the credit card I need all this info.
RIki
I think you can take it at the time of the transaction to validate the card - which I think they do, at least to make sure the checksum works and they maybe even do something to validate it. You just can't store it after that initial swipe or entry.
You should check with your credit card processor. I have not been asked for the CVV code when manually entering a number - I have occasionally been asked for a zip code if I a) enter the number and b) say the card is present. It happens occasionally with a bad magnetic strip. Otherwise, if I enter the card and say it's not present, it still processes - but they do charge the higher rate.

Sunshine said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki
Tell your cc processor that due to the new regs you can no longer have guests/clients enter the CVC into your booking system. Make THEM get with the program. Yes, every stinkin' online transaction anyone does requires that code. We are led to believe that is strictly to verify the card is good and that it is immediately erased. BS. I can call the same place 3 weeks from now and they'll say, 'Using the same card?' so you know they are storing the info.
YOU don't want to be storing anything that can be hacked and stolen. Leave that to the big names that are always getting hacked.

Sunshine said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki
Tell your cc processor that due to the new regs you can no longer have guests/clients enter the CVC into your booking system. Make THEM get with the program. Yes, every stinkin' online transaction anyone does requires that code. We are led to believe that is strictly to verify the card is good and that it is immediately erased. BS. I can call the same place 3 weeks from now and they'll say, 'Using the same card?' so you know they are storing the info.
YOU don't want to be storing anything that can be hacked and stolen. Leave that to the big names that are always getting hacked.
Morticia said:
Yes, every stinkin' online transaction anyone does requires that code. We are led to believe that is strictly to verify the card is good and that it is immediately erased. BS. I can call the same place 3 weeks from now and they'll say, 'Using the same card?' so you know they are storing the info.
Not so sure about that! If they have already 'cleared' the card as a good card by your previous purchase and you are not changing anything - your address, contact info etc., then it would be likely that your card is also yours and is valid.

Back