Declined Transaction

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this came up.... TONIGHTS Guests are biking the trail. They gave me two different cards... neither worked... both came back.. "can not use this card for this transaction" Guests can't explain that (me either)...
They have no check book with them, I suggested they go to the ATM and get cash, they state their cc does not allow them to take out cash... They say they will 'mail' me a check when they get home tomorrow... (home is one town away). SO... hmmmm what do I do. I didn't know what to do so I told them it was ok to mail me a check! I know I will probably never see it!
BUT incase its all true... and they really are honest people we still have to treat them well and 'assume' they will pay.....
Sunshine said:
Since this came up.... TONIGHTS Guests are biking the trail. They gave me two different cards... neither worked... both came back.. "can not use this card for this transaction" Guests can't explain that (me either)...
They have no check book with them, I suggested they go to the ATM and get cash, they state their cc does not allow them to take out cash... They say they will 'mail' me a check when they get home tomorrow... (home is one town away). SO... hmmmm what do I do. I didn't know what to do so I told them it was ok to mail me a check! I know I will probably never see it!
BUT incase its all true... and they really are honest people we still have to treat them well and 'assume' they will pay....
THIS is why you should always get a pre-authorization for a credit card. If it's declined up front, then it falls to the guest to resolve the problem. Until then you're not beholding to confirm their reservation.
We don't charge the deposit, but may have to in the future. But with Webervations refusing to give me the three digit code, this means we would have to call EVERY GUEST for the code that they know they entered when they filled out my reservation form. Why are they going to believe that I'm using a system that asks for information but won't give it to me? I would not.
And by the way, if they cannot give ME that three digit code, then why is the system asking for it???????
RIki
egoodell said:
We don't charge the deposit, but may have to in the future. But with Webervations refusing to give me the three digit code, this means we would have to call EVERY GUEST for the code that they know they entered when they filled out my reservation form. Why are they going to believe that I'm using a system that asks for information but won't give it to me? I would not.
And by the way, if they cannot give ME that three digit code, then why is the system asking for it???????
RIki
Strange, I use Webervations and it doesn't ask for the CVC code.
My credit card processor used to require the CVC code, but now only ask for the zipcode. How secure is that?
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
My credit card processor used to require the CVC code, but now only ask for the zipcode. How secure is that?
Webervations takes the CVC code but does not give it to me, so I'm asking why do they take it then in the first place. Originally they gave it to me in the booking but stopped since they say the law does not allow it to be stored.
Actually I'm not talking about Webervations. I'm talking about my credit card processor. To run the credit card I need all this info.
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Webervations takes the CVC code but does not give it to me, so I'm asking why do they take it then in the first place. Originally they gave it to me in the booking but stopped since they say the law does not allow it to be stored.
Actually I'm not talking about Webervations. I'm talking about my credit card processor. To run the credit card I need all this info.
RIki
Riki - Webervations no longer asks for the CVC code and hasn't for a while on mine. I just checked your webervations form and it does not ask for it on yours.
Your credit card processor should be able to reconfigure your reader to not require the CVC code. Some processors send out a notice providing information about issues such as PCI or security policies but require the merchant to call in to have reconfirgures done. Some processors charge a fee to those merchants that do not make changes to become PCI compliant. I had a friend that suddenly had a large fee placed on their monthly bill and did not know why ...one call to the processor and they found out that they were being penalized for not being PCI compliant. - What did it take? She had not called to have her reader reprogramed. This was just another way for them to get ya! I have made it a habbit (after her problem) to contact my processor every quarter to make sure I am configured to the latest update....

BUT incase its all true... and they really are honest people we still have to treat them well and 'assume' they will pay.....
Sunshine said:
BUT incase its all true... and they really are honest people we still have to treat them well and 'assume' they will pay....
THIS is why you should always get a pre-authorization for a credit card. If it's declined up front, then it falls to the guest to resolve the problem. Until then you're not beholding to confirm their reservation.
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki
Tell your cc processor that due to the new regs you can no longer have guests/clients enter the CVC into your booking system. Make THEM get with the program. Yes, every stinkin' online transaction anyone does requires that code. We are led to believe that is strictly to verify the card is good and that it is immediately erased. BS. I can call the same place 3 weeks from now and they'll say, 'Using the same card?' so you know they are storing the info.
YOU don't want to be storing anything that can be hacked and stolen. Leave that to the big names that are always getting hacked.
Morticia said:
Yes, every stinkin' online transaction anyone does requires that code. We are led to believe that is strictly to verify the card is good and that it is immediately erased. BS. I can call the same place 3 weeks from now and they'll say, 'Using the same card?' so you know they are storing the info.
Not so sure about that! If they have already 'cleared' the card as a good card by your previous purchase and you are not changing anything - your address, contact info etc., then it would be likely that your card is also yours and is valid.
copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Yes, every stinkin' online transaction anyone does requires that code. We are led to believe that is strictly to verify the card is good and that it is immediately erased. BS. I can call the same place 3 weeks from now and they'll say, 'Using the same card?' so you know they are storing the info.
Not so sure about that! If they have already 'cleared' the card as a good card by your previous purchase and you are not changing anything - your address, contact info etc., then it would be likely that your card is also yours and is valid.
Even if the CVC is gone, they are storing my cc number and it's obvious the person I talk has access to it. That's not right.

That's a tough one Sunshine, but really what else can you do but hope they send you the check? I had this happen with a military person once, his debit card had been used for an authorization (similar to what Banana is describing) so he not only couldn't use it for my charges but he couldn't take money out at an ATM either. Sorry Banana, the system you're using sounds like way too many steps for you, and too confusing for your guests. I just don't get why you don't take a deposit, is it ONLY because "no one else does"? Be daring, be the first! I think you'll be surprised at how no one even bats an eye.
Many of my guests arrive assuming they prepaid the entire amount of their stay, evidently a lot of B&B's are doing that up front now as well..
How is it confusing for the guest? I'm authorizing the amount of their stay, and when they arrive, the process is finalized. Those funds are mine, within six days of their stay - they know this when booking because I verbalize it, they agree to it when they fill out the reservation request.
I also do not want to pay the processing fee for not having the card present. I also prefer cash (don't we all?). If I've already charged the first night's stay, I'm not getting cash.
This military person you are referring to surely knew that the authorization had been placed on his card. You give your credit card number to someone, you expect certain things. Same with Sunshine's guests. Someone comes to my door and their card doesn't work (because I didn't authorize it?), they are not staying here.
The military person had no clue what the authorization was all about, I stood here and watched him call the cc company. I believe it was a debit card, and he was new to using it, so had never had anything happen like that before.
I'm just playing devil's advocate for you, please don't be upset or think that I'm judging you...you have to put a process in place that works for you. But since you are changing something anyway I'm just giving you a different perspective. For me personally the whole "authorization" thing sounds like a lot of jargon, and as a guest it would be confusing TO ME (mainly because I've never had to deal with that anywhere else, when I use my card that charge gets put on, and it's done). BUT, here we do more than 90% online bookings so I wouldn't be able to verbalize the process to the guest like you are.
FWIW, we've been able to negotiate with our cc processor that our rate for the card not being present is very close to the rate for the swipe. And we do a very high volume, so for us taking the deposit is a must. Also, the 50% deposit ensures year-round cash flow.
My other concern is you cannot guarantee how long the credit card will take to release the funds after you release the authorization (as you said, you're now having to fax the company in some instances to get the authorization released)...it might not be a big deal but it just sounds like it would take so much time. So the guest thinks the funds are available because they've been released, but then it takes an extra day or so because you have to fax some other documentation. It's not your fault but the guest might perceive it that way.
"FWIW, we've been able to negotiate with our cc processor that our rate for the card not being present is very close to the rate for the swipe. And we do a very high volume, so for us taking the deposit is a must. Also, the 50% deposit ensures year-round cash flow. "
We also charge a 50% deposit at the time of booking, however do pay high fees (approximately $500/mos) to the bank for the processing. How did you manage to negotiate with your cc processor to get the lower "swipe" rate on manual entries? It's a great idea & one I hadn't even considered. Will await more info. on how you managed the lower rate.
Thanks!

Sunshine said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki
Tell your cc processor that due to the new regs you can no longer have guests/clients enter the CVC into your booking system. Make THEM get with the program. Yes, every stinkin' online transaction anyone does requires that code. We are led to believe that is strictly to verify the card is good and that it is immediately erased. BS. I can call the same place 3 weeks from now and they'll say, 'Using the same card?' so you know they are storing the info.
YOU don't want to be storing anything that can be hacked and stolen. Leave that to the big names that are always getting hacked.
Morticia said:
copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Even if the CVC is gone, they are storing my cc number and it's obvious the person I talk has access to it. That's not right.
Mort, ususally these sytems show that you have a card on file and only show the salesperson the type of card and the last 4 digits. The system has it stored, and can process the payment without ever revealing the card to the salesperson at all.
I have problems with my card info being stored as well - we all know that someone has access to this part of the system! And that not all of them are set up like I described. But in reality having ANY info on file can create problems. I recall a scam done earlier this year by an employee at a cruise company. She had access to everyone going on cruises and had set up a theft ring. She provided the ring with a list of addresses in the general area where the owners would be on a cruise on x dates and they would break into homes while they were gone. Evil people are above nothing.

Have any of you looked into using Innpayment? I use them and am very, very pleased. No equipment to buy, no monthly payment and low %.

Sunshine said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki
Riki - Webervations no longer asks for the CVC code and hasn't for a while on mine. I just checked your webervations form and it does not ask for it on yours.
Your credit card processor should be able to reconfigure your reader to not require the CVC code. Some processors send out a notice providing information about issues such as PCI or security policies but require the merchant to call in to have reconfirgures done. Some processors charge a fee to those merchants that do not make changes to become PCI compliant. I had a friend that suddenly had a large fee placed on their monthly bill and did not know why ...one call to the processor and they found out that they were being penalized for not being PCI compliant. - What did it take? She had not called to have her reader reprogramed. This was just another way for them to get ya! I have made it a habbit (after her problem) to contact my processor every quarter to make sure I am configured to the latest update....
copperhead said:
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki
I recently had to purchase a new machine that meets the new PCI compliancy regulations. It does not ask for the CVC code, only the zip code. Apparently, whatever it is they're doing under the new regs does not require it.

Back