Decorating advice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Arrrgh! First off this laptop will make me a crazy woman. I had the whole post written, went to hit 'save' and I accidently 'scrolled' back a page. Scrolling forward it was all gone.
OK, back to problem...we just bought 4 nightstands for a room with 2 beds. They are painted an 'antique' white but it's kind of ugly. (The price was right, the size was right and I can paint them over.) So, what colors look good on painted furniture? Maybe a little distressing? Maybe I should decoupage these, I don't know.
The question really is what colors look good on furniture? (Going in the dog room if you want to see the room colors.)

White can be a good base color for a crackled paint look. A grayish blue looks good as a top color, but green can work, too, or yellow for that matter.
To crackle paint, it's a really easy faux process. Mix Elmer's glue with water, 3 parts glue/1 part water. Paint the surface and let dry for 30 minutes. Then just paint with whatever color you want to topcoat to be. As the paint adheres to the glue and dries, it separates to give a crackled look to reveal the white underneath.

White can be a good base color for a crackled paint look. A grayish blue looks good as a top color, but green can work, too, or yellow for that matter.
To crackle paint, it's a really easy faux process. Mix Elmer's glue with water, 3 parts glue/1 part water. Paint the surface and let dry for 30 minutes. Then just paint with whatever color you want to topcoat to be. As the paint adheres to the glue and dries, it separates to give a crackled look to reveal the white underneath..
How easy/hard is it to clean a crackled finish like that? Will it chip off? Is it flat or will glasses wobble around?

To crackle paint, it's a really easy faux process. Mix Elmer's glue with water, 3 parts glue/1 part water. Paint the surface and let dry for 30 minutes. Then just paint with whatever color you want to topcoat to be. As the paint adheres to the glue and dries, it separates to give a crackled look to reveal the white underneath..
How easy/hard is it to clean a crackled finish like that? Will it chip off? Is it flat or will glasses wobble around?
The finish it leaves is pretty flat. Glasses won't fall off or anything.
Why don't you test it on a small (inconspicuous) area of one of the pieces to see how you like it?
It's not only easy to do but the look is very very nice.

I think furniture can be painted (or crackled) any color... just pick one that matches the room. We have two "matching" nightstands that don't really match, but both have been spray painted black and look great.
=)
Kk.

We have a room with 2 bedside cabinets and a four poster in the crack glased look it was done by the previous people they did a blood red base coat with a cream top coat so where it cracks you can see a little bit of red through which is nice. They used a crackle glaze(you can buy it from any hardwear shop) and that leaves the furniture with a smooth finish and can be wiped and cleaned easily with any of the ordinary cleaning products.

I would pick out one of the small-area, darker colors from the wallpaper (are those maroon flowers?) and match to that. If I were going to crackle, I would make the base coat the same as the background of the wallpaper, but I'm not generally a fan of the crackle look.

Back