Decribe you bed and breakfast in 6 seconds

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Historic B & B, located in a park, in a tourist capital of 35,000 people.

Historic B & B, located in a park, in a tourist capital of 35,000 people..
Why would that make me want to stay there?
"Nestled in Victoria Park, the historic Wayside Inn, welcomes you to a serene retreat in Ontario." (You fill in the correct place names...)
Sorry, I know I sound grumpy, but this is how you introduce yourself to people who don't know you. None of what you said would make me want to stay with you. I would imagine t-shirt shops and cotton candy and 35,000 people all vying for parking and restaurants, etc and I'd go elsewhere.

Other good words - quiet, serene, tranquil
I stay away from cozy as I read long ago (in some B&B marketing material) that people associate that to small, or cluttered like grandma's house.
I have one room that I have to keep forcing myself not to use this word as it fits the room to a T and many comments of guests use the word for that room a lot. It is our smallest room but it really is not that small or cluttered and do not want to jinx it..
I've thought about 'serene' and words like that but I'm a on a truck route and I take kids! We're not elegant, stately or anything like that. Cozy fit and had a nice ring to it. I guess I have to think about it again. And, yes, my rooms are SMALL. Most of my friends' bedrooms are huge compared to my guestrooms.
But, it may be time to change...
Bree said:
I've thought about 'serene' and words like that but I'm a on a truck route and I take kids! We're not elegant, stately or anything like that. Cozy fit and had a nice ring to it. I guess I have to think about it again. And, yes, my rooms are SMALL. Most of my friends' bedrooms are huge compared to my guestrooms.
But, it may be time to change...
I think it was a few years back when y'all convinced me to take the word "quaint" out of a room description. IT IS QUAINT! AND IT IS LARGE! But not a good word I guess from others perspective. Remember when you asked abotu Cabaret? I still have only seen it assoc with topless clubs, I mean, clarification, I have only noticed the word when referring to those - as in city newspaper bust or something (scuse the pun).
May have been, because 'quaint' you ain't.
See how much easier it is to think about how words fit someone else's biz?
Bree said:
I AM, DANG IT! I AM QUAINT!
cry_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
I AM, DANG IT! I AM QUAINT!
cry_smile.gif
No, you are not quaint. Maybe picturesque, but not quaint. 'Quaint' is old and fusty and doily-covered where you can't touch anything because it will break. In England it would mean lousy plumbing and shared baths.

"Nestled in Victoria Park, the historic Wayside Inn, welcomes you to a serene retreat in Ontario." (You fill in the correct place names...)
Sorry, I know I sound grumpy, but this is how you introduce yourself to people who don't know you. None of what you said would make me want to stay with you. I would imagine t-shirt shops and cotton candy and 35,000 people all vying for parking and restaurants, etc and I'd go elsewhere.
that sounds much better even though it is a quiet park. Thanks. I'm going to use that.

JBJ... never been there, but you're not quaint. Sorry.
Bree... cozy isn't necessarily bad... just connotes small to me. Small can be lovely. Small can be great. In fact, my favorite bathroom in our house (our own) is very cozy, and I absolutely love it.
=)
Kk.

Bree... cozy isn't necessarily bad... just connotes small to me. Small can be lovely. Small can be great. In fact, my favorite bathroom in our house (our own) is very cozy, and I absolutely love it.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Just remember I did not build this B&B from the ground up, it has been a B&B for 16 years now - evolved over those years in style, yes. I add to the era, add more antiques. If I built it MY WAY there would be zero dust collectors, ahem I mean antiques.
tounge_smile.gif

The guest today said she stays at B&B's all the time and cannot stand them if they are devoid of personality and character. She loves seeing all the neat décor in a B&B, she doesn't like the sparsely decorated places.
(this is not saying junk, this is just saying decor and interesting things to look at while she is there)

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Just remember I did not build this B&B from the ground up, it has been a B&B for 16 years now - evolved over those years in style, yes. I add to the era, add more antiques. If I built it MY WAY there would be zero dust collectors, ahem I mean antiques.
tounge_smile.gif

The guest today said she stays at B&B's all the time and cannot stand them if they are devoid of personality and character. She loves seeing all the neat décor in a B&B, she doesn't like the sparsely decorated places.
(this is not saying junk, this is just saying decor and interesting things to look at while she is there)
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
tounge_smile.gif

Even though I've never been there, I think yours is beautiful, elegant, lovely, historic, relaxing, comfy... but not quaint.
=)
Kk.

that sounds much better even though it is a quiet park. Thanks. I'm going to use that.
knowlesl said:
See, I would not have known the park was quiet with your old description. Glad you like it! Now you can work on mine...

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
tounge_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
tounge_smile.gif

An unfortunate review I read took a B&B to task for not having any of the things you want to get rid of...and this was from a young couple. They thought their room lacked personality.
I try to change at least one thing every year in each guest room, even if that only means moving a piece of furniture from one room to another. Because the repeats DO notice. And they comment. This year I am asking one couple who take the same room if they think the bed would be ok in another location.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
tounge_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
tounge_smile.gif

An unfortunate review I read took a B&B to task for not having any of the things you want to get rid of...and this was from a young couple. They thought their room lacked personality.
I try to change at least one thing every year in each guest room, even if that only means moving a piece of furniture from one room to another. Because the repeats DO notice. And they comment. This year I am asking one couple who take the same room if they think the bed would be ok in another location.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
tounge_smile.gif

That is a good point! We tend to find something that works in a room and leave it.
One day I took some side chairs and swapped them around and really enjoyed the "new look" even tho it was minor.
There is an estate auction this weekend and I am going - hold me back! There is a chaise longue there I want to put in one room and get rid of a chair I hate. It might be the one item everyone wants, or noone wants at this auction. I shall see on Saturday.

As a newbie on this board, I don't know any of your inns, so for what it's worth, here's my take on your descriptions:
A comfy B&B near Ashland University: I think of small, homestay type of B&B with "lace and teddy bear" type of decor. When I asked my husband what he thought, his comment was "Grandma's house"
1886 Victorian B&B newly remodeled for your enjoyment and relaxation, located in the heart of Manitou Springs, CO.: A victorian B&B with modern bathrooms in the middle of a town. My personal experience with Victorians is that the rooms are small and there are a lot of lacy doiles, wallpapers & antique furnishings.
A newly-built wine-country themed bed and breakfast located in a cluster of wineries 6.5 miles from Charlottesville, 2.5 miles from Monticello, and 4 miles from Ashlawn-Highland and Michie Tavern: A modern building decorated with vinyard motifs, picturesque landscapes of vinyards. It's too much info about how many milesL to each town. Can you find a way to describe your wine region location instead of being so specific about mileage?
Cozy lodging close to shopping in (mytown, mystate):A small homey B&B (see "comfy" above) with no special amenities, but is good if your intention is to just have a place to stay while visiting your town to shop.
"Five beautifully appointed guest rooms, two historic properties in (my city, town), one great B&B experience!": Luxurious, spacious rooms, lots of amenities, interesting historic buildings and an innkeeper that's confident that if you stay there you'll have a great experience. This phrase has a very positive feel.

As a newbie on this board, I don't know any of your inns, so for what it's worth, here's my take on your descriptions:
A comfy B&B near Ashland University: I think of small, homestay type of B&B with "lace and teddy bear" type of decor. When I asked my husband what he thought, his comment was "Grandma's house"
1886 Victorian B&B newly remodeled for your enjoyment and relaxation, located in the heart of Manitou Springs, CO.: A victorian B&B with modern bathrooms in the middle of a town. My personal experience with Victorians is that the rooms are small and there are a lot of lacy doiles, wallpapers & antique furnishings.
A newly-built wine-country themed bed and breakfast located in a cluster of wineries 6.5 miles from Charlottesville, 2.5 miles from Monticello, and 4 miles from Ashlawn-Highland and Michie Tavern: A modern building decorated with vinyard motifs, picturesque landscapes of vinyards. It's too much info about how many milesL to each town. Can you find a way to describe your wine region location instead of being so specific about mileage?
Cozy lodging close to shopping in (mytown, mystate):A small homey B&B (see "comfy" above) with no special amenities, but is good if your intention is to just have a place to stay while visiting your town to shop.
"Five beautifully appointed guest rooms, two historic properties in (my city, town), one great B&B experience!": Luxurious, spacious rooms, lots of amenities, interesting historic buildings and an innkeeper that's confident that if you stay there you'll have a great experience. This phrase has a very positive feel..
All I can say is that I learned from "The Wise Ones"
teeth_smile.gif
Thanks, NW BB!
heart.gif

Ahhhhhhhhh...how did you know you could win my over with coffee? You've got my vote!
Actually, I really like your description. It makes me think of lesuire, steaming hot coffee, great breakfast and elegant surroundings. What time is breakfast? I'll be there!

Ok, here goes. Now it's my turn to get your feedback. Here's my super short version:
An award winning private, romantic hideaway with double jacuzzi tubs, fireplaces and breakfast delivered to your door on the beautiful Oregon Coast

Ok, here goes. Now it's my turn to get your feedback. Here's my super short version:
An award winning private, romantic hideaway with double jacuzzi tubs, fireplaces and breakfast delivered to your door on the beautiful Oregon Coast.
NW BB said:
An award winning private, romantic hideaway with double jacuzzi tubs, fireplaces and breakfast delivered to your door on the beautiful Oregon Coast
Do you have "energy bars" in your welcome packets? ha ha
I think ROMANCE< SCENERY<PRIVACY and the award winning tells me it is a winner! I would want to go back next year as well!
Well done!

"Five beautifully appointed guest rooms, two historic properties in (my city, town), one great B&B experience!": Luxurious, spacious rooms, lots of amenities, interesting historic buildings and an innkeeper that's confident that if you stay there you'll have a great experience. This phrase has a very positive feel..
Ouch! 'No special amenities?' Ouch again. Now I feel like the cheap place down the street...no wonder business was down this year.

Ahhhhhhhhh...how did you know you could win my over with coffee? You've got my vote!
Actually, I really like your description. It makes me think of lesuire, steaming hot coffee, great breakfast and elegant surroundings. What time is breakfast? I'll be there!.
NW BB said:
Actually, I really like your description. It makes me think of lesuire, steaming hot coffee, great breakfast and elegant surroundings. What time is breakfast? I'll be there!
This morning it was 645am...business guest.
Hey I was going to also add that like others innkeepers I will alter what I say depending on the person or group. I think we all need to have a multitude of cards up our sleeves.
If they are local or out of towners. BIG DIFF in what I say to them. Locals would get more of the romance/elegance/privacy.
Out of towners - as they would get the "relax on the porch with southern ferns and mocking birds in the sugar maples out front" as those not from the area love porches - locals could give a rip! Why they can play their banjos anywhere.
wink_smile.gif

NW BB YOU ROCK!
Thanks for doing that.
I will paste mine on here briefly... Go ahead take a shot!
[FONT= 'Comic Sans MS']<Edited to protect the guilty>[/FONT]

NW BB said:
Ouch for me, too! Four rooms, no teddy bears, not much lace. The third floor room (the Art Department) has three lava lamps, beads, and a pair of hippie ducks in the shower. The first floor room (The Music Department) has a banjo in the corner, and a violin on the wall. The smallest room (the History Department) has bunting for curtains and red, white, and blue decor. Every room has a 32" flat screen TV, wifi access, desk, chair, and all the amenities (irons, robes, etc.)
We do want people to feel as comfortable as they would visiting their grandma...
=)
Kk.

I think this was a wonderful thread and it emphasizes the importance of branding our image!

Back