Decribe you bed and breakfast in 6 seconds

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a newbie on this board, I don't know any of your inns, so for what it's worth, here's my take on your descriptions:
A comfy B&B near Ashland University: I think of small, homestay type of B&B with "lace and teddy bear" type of decor. When I asked my husband what he thought, his comment was "Grandma's house"
1886 Victorian B&B newly remodeled for your enjoyment and relaxation, located in the heart of Manitou Springs, CO.: A victorian B&B with modern bathrooms in the middle of a town. My personal experience with Victorians is that the rooms are small and there are a lot of lacy doiles, wallpapers & antique furnishings.
A newly-built wine-country themed bed and breakfast located in a cluster of wineries 6.5 miles from Charlottesville, 2.5 miles from Monticello, and 4 miles from Ashlawn-Highland and Michie Tavern: A modern building decorated with vinyard motifs, picturesque landscapes of vinyards. It's too much info about how many milesL to each town. Can you find a way to describe your wine region location instead of being so specific about mileage?
Cozy lodging close to shopping in (mytown, mystate):A small homey B&B (see "comfy" above) with no special amenities, but is good if your intention is to just have a place to stay while visiting your town to shop.
"Five beautifully appointed guest rooms, two historic properties in (my city, town), one great B&B experience!": Luxurious, spacious rooms, lots of amenities, interesting historic buildings and an innkeeper that's confident that if you stay there you'll have a great experience. This phrase has a very positive feel..
Ouch! 'No special amenities?' Ouch again. Now I feel like the cheap place down the street...no wonder business was down this year.
Bree said:
Ouch! 'No special amenities?' Ouch again. Now I feel like the cheap place down the street...no wonder business was down this year.
What about something like:
Historic home situated in a small town with a big city feel. Minutes to several colleges, lighthouses and of course, the ocean - Welcome Home!

Mine is "Escape to Sanctuary, where it's all about YOU!"
Since everything we do (itinerary, menus, activities, etc.) is generated specifically for each set of guests according to their preferences, that slogan seemed fitting.
...also...." What happens on the boat stays on the boat. You are here to enjoy paradise... Have a good time!" :D
I guess those are really more about our charter side than our B&B side.

Ok, here goes. Now it's my turn to get your feedback. Here's my super short version:
An award winning private, romantic hideaway with double jacuzzi tubs, fireplaces and breakfast delivered to your door on the beautiful Oregon Coast.
I like it and it evokes some great feelings...except is my door right on the beautiful Oregon Coast? lol! I would just change up the order of the wording a bit...
"An award-winning, private, and romantic hideaway on the beautiful Oregon Coast - complete with double jacuzzi tubs, fireplaces, and breakfast delivered to your door."

Since everything we do (itinerary, menus, activities, etc.) is generated specifically for each set of guests according to their preferences, that slogan seemed fitting.
...also...." What happens on the boat stays on the boat. You are here to enjoy paradise... Have a good time!" :D
I guess those are really more about our charter side than our B&B side..
I really need an escape where it's all about me!
regular_smile.gif

I guess those are really more about our charter side than our B&B side..
Me, me, meeeee! I'm so bummed. I'm going to have to stay overnight near the Miami Airport April 30th so I can fly out the next day to DR. I would SOOOO love to stay with you, but there's not enough time in either direction. Waaaaahhh.

As a newbie on this board, I don't know any of your inns, so for what it's worth, here's my take on your descriptions:
A comfy B&B near Ashland University: I think of small, homestay type of B&B with "lace and teddy bear" type of decor. When I asked my husband what he thought, his comment was "Grandma's house"
1886 Victorian B&B newly remodeled for your enjoyment and relaxation, located in the heart of Manitou Springs, CO.: A victorian B&B with modern bathrooms in the middle of a town. My personal experience with Victorians is that the rooms are small and there are a lot of lacy doiles, wallpapers & antique furnishings.
A newly-built wine-country themed bed and breakfast located in a cluster of wineries 6.5 miles from Charlottesville, 2.5 miles from Monticello, and 4 miles from Ashlawn-Highland and Michie Tavern: A modern building decorated with vinyard motifs, picturesque landscapes of vinyards. It's too much info about how many milesL to each town. Can you find a way to describe your wine region location instead of being so specific about mileage?
Cozy lodging close to shopping in (mytown, mystate):A small homey B&B (see "comfy" above) with no special amenities, but is good if your intention is to just have a place to stay while visiting your town to shop.
"Five beautifully appointed guest rooms, two historic properties in (my city, town), one great B&B experience!": Luxurious, spacious rooms, lots of amenities, interesting historic buildings and an innkeeper that's confident that if you stay there you'll have a great experience. This phrase has a very positive feel..
RE A newly-built wine-country themed bed and breakfast located in a cluster of wineries 6.5 miles from Charlottesville, 2.5 miles from Monticello, and 4 miles from Ashlawn-Highland and Michie Tavern: A modern building decorated with vinyard motifs, picturesque landscapes of vinyards. It's too much info about how many milesL to each town. Can you find a way to describe your wine region location instead of being so specific about mileage?
Thanks but I'm not talking about other towns. When people are traveling here the first thing they want to know is how far they are from Monticello which is President Jefferson's home and Ashlawn-Highland which is President Monroe's home, as there is not public transportation to either.
My proximity to both historic estates are one of the main reasons people come to Charlottesville and keep my rooms booked. The other reason most come here is to visit the wineries.
RIki

How would 'Casual New England ambiance...' strike anyone? Of course, I have to add something else to the end of that. More looking for what that conjures up...

RE A newly-built wine-country themed bed and breakfast located in a cluster of wineries 6.5 miles from Charlottesville, 2.5 miles from Monticello, and 4 miles from Ashlawn-Highland and Michie Tavern: A modern building decorated with vinyard motifs, picturesque landscapes of vinyards. It's too much info about how many milesL to each town. Can you find a way to describe your wine region location instead of being so specific about mileage?
Thanks but I'm not talking about other towns. When people are traveling here the first thing they want to know is how far they are from Monticello which is President Jefferson's home and Ashlawn-Highland which is President Monroe's home, as there is not public transportation to either.
My proximity to both historic estates are one of the main reasons people come to Charlottesville and keep my rooms booked. The other reason most come here is to visit the wineries.
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Those are sights of interest and I also agree in her location with many lodging choices people want to know how far to these famous sights. People come world wide to those places.

How would 'Casual New England ambiance...' strike anyone? Of course, I have to add something else to the end of that. More looking for what that conjures up....
Bree said:
How would 'Casual New England ambiance...' strike anyone? Of course, I have to add something else to the end of that. More looking for what that conjures up...
"casual" and "ambiance" are like magnets repelling each other.
Atmosphere - but that is a lengthy word, I prefer shorter descriptive words, quicker to grasp and more room to add more.
Remember our dear innkeeper who lost his place and a guests life to a fire? His motto/tagline was catchy "Your Home While in Rome" (I think that was it)... Is there something like "Come home to ..." Or "welcome home to..."?

NW BB said:
Ouch for me, too! Four rooms, no teddy bears, not much lace. The third floor room (the Art Department) has three lava lamps, beads, and a pair of hippie ducks in the shower. The first floor room (The Music Department) has a banjo in the corner, and a violin on the wall. The smallest room (the History Department) has bunting for curtains and red, white, and blue decor. Every room has a 32" flat screen TV, wifi access, desk, chair, and all the amenities (irons, robes, etc.)
We do want people to feel as comfortable as they would visiting their grandma...
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
NW BB said:
Ouch for me, too! Four rooms, no teddy bears, not much lace. The third floor room (the Art Department) has three lava lamps, beads, and a pair of hippie ducks in the shower. The first floor room (The Music Department) has a banjo in the corner, and a violin on the wall. The smallest room (the History Department) has bunting for curtains and red, white, and blue decor. Every room has a 32" flat screen TV, wifi access, desk, chair, and all the amenities (irons, robes, etc.)
We do want people to feel as comfortable as they would visiting their grandma...
=)
Kk.
I think it would be better to use the word 'comfortable' instead of 'comfy'. But even still, I don't think comfortable does you justice. To me, it means good but not special. Words or phrases off the top of my head are (in no particular order): remodelled; special touches throughout; with your comfort and convenience in mind; perfect blend of classic and quirky; the best in comfort and convenience close to [places]. Not everyone staying with you is there for the university or seminary, are they? If not, work in more details than just proximity to those. My $0.02 for you. :)

How would 'Casual New England ambiance...' strike anyone? Of course, I have to add something else to the end of that. More looking for what that conjures up....
Bree said:
"casual" and "ambiance" are like magnets repelling each other.
Atmosphere - but that is a lengthy word, I prefer shorter descriptive words, quicker to grasp and more room to add more.
Remember our dear innkeeper who lost his place and a guests life to a fire? His motto/tagline was catchy "Your Home While in Rome" (I think that was it)... Is there something like "Come home to ..." Or "welcome home to..."?
I like the casual New England ambiance okay - I would use casual elegance to describe our style. Ambiance doesn't flow as well as you might like - maybe there's a better word there.

Bree said:
I really like that. It captures just how I imagine your place, and just what I'd want in a New England getaway--homey, unpretentious, warm. I'd just finish it up with "near the shops and activities that make [your town] and coastal [state] (or however to describe the region) famous."

Since many people are there to see your town, not surrounds, I would appreciate something that has:
"...In the Heart of Newport" or similar.
SInce you are right there, and can walk to restaurants, shops, etc. or and I like this even better with the play on words - - esp since you have a nautical named room, and not too far from lighthouses....and on Main and you can stay there and you can support their visit. :)
"Let Black Dog Inn be your mainstay while in Maine!"
Definition: (both are equally perfect) mainstay
Noun
1. a chief support
2. Naut a rope securing a mainmast

Since many people are there to see your town, not surrounds, I would appreciate something that has:
SInce you are right there, and can walk to restaurants, shops, etc. or and I like this even better with the play on words - - esp since you have a nautical named room, and not too far from lighthouses....and on Main and you can stay there and you can support their visit. :)
Noun
1. a chief support
hmmmmmm
describe your place in 6 seconds .... can a person really say what they have written in 6 seconds if they use more than 6 or eight words? not easy.
it reminds me of a contest years ago to come up with the new slogan for Massachusetts. it was supposed to be six words or less
the slogan that won was 'The Spirit of Massachusetts is the Spirit of America'
nine words. you could shorten it to 'Massachusetts ... the Spirit of America' but the winner was nine words and a lot of entrants cried foul.
maybe i am being too literal ... i guess the challenge is an exercise in trying to get your point across with punch words.

OK, I am waiting for suggestions...... I know this group, no one will think mine says it correctly.
And we have diversed from elevator speech about our inns to what we would say in print... Nothing wrong with that, but 2 different spiels.

JBJ... never been there, but you're not quaint. Sorry.
Bree... cozy isn't necessarily bad... just connotes small to me. Small can be lovely. Small can be great. In fact, my favorite bathroom in our house (our own) is very cozy, and I absolutely love it.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Bree... cozy isn't necessarily bad... just connotes small to me. Small can be lovely. Small can be great. In fact, my favorite bathroom in our house (our own) is very cozy, and I absolutely love it.
=)
Kk.
Just remember I did not build this B&B from the ground up, it has been a B&B for 16 years now - evolved over those years in style, yes. I add to the era, add more antiques. If I built it MY WAY there would be zero dust collectors, ahem I mean antiques.
tounge_smile.gif

The guest today said she stays at B&B's all the time and cannot stand them if they are devoid of personality and character. She loves seeing all the neat décor in a B&B, she doesn't like the sparsely decorated places.
(this is not saying junk, this is just saying decor and interesting things to look at while she is there)
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Just remember I did not build this B&B from the ground up, it has been a B&B for 16 years now - evolved over those years in style, yes. I add to the era, add more antiques. If I built it MY WAY there would be zero dust collectors, ahem I mean antiques.
tounge_smile.gif

The guest today said she stays at B&B's all the time and cannot stand them if they are devoid of personality and character. She loves seeing all the neat décor in a B&B, she doesn't like the sparsely decorated places.
(this is not saying junk, this is just saying decor and interesting things to look at while she is there)
Even though I've never been there, I think yours is beautiful, elegant, lovely, historic, relaxing, comfy... but not quaint.
=)
Kk.
You all are so smart. I loved this thread. Last year one of the speakers said to answer you phone with something to make them want more. He said one inn in Maine said when he answered "Hello _______ Inn where the leaves are turning and the fire is burning." It was in the fall. I thought it was so cute.

Noun
1. a chief support
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Noun
1. a chief support
That would also pick up those folks actually using 'mainstay' to find the numerous inns with that name. (Altho, I think I might avoid it given I've traded links with one of those places...)

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
tounge_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
tounge_smile.gif

Even though I've never been there, I think yours is beautiful, elegant, lovely, historic, relaxing, comfy... but not quaint.
=)
Kk.
You all are so smart. I loved this thread. Last year one of the speakers said to answer you phone with something to make them want more. He said one inn in Maine said when he answered "Hello _______ Inn where the leaves are turning and the fire is burning." It was in the fall. I thought it was so cute.
sandynn said:
Last year one of the speakers said to answer you phone with something to make them want more. He said one inn in Maine said when he answered "Hello _______ Inn where the leaves are turning and the fire is burning." It was in the fall. I thought it was so cute.
Are you talking about Don Farrell? He is wonderful! Really gets your thoughts flowing..

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
tounge_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
tounge_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
sandynn said:
And yet there are articles written saying that certain greetings really turn guests off and even the 'staff' don't like them. I've heard 2 of them in the past few weeks. One was from the Fairfield Inn ('It's a beautiful day at the Fairfield Inn!') when I called on a day when thousands of Mainers were without power. I'm trying to remember who else I called that had one of those phony greetings.
Now, the one you quoted isn't bad. It sounds upbeat, topical and thought up by the person who has to say it, not forced on a bunch of folks who couldn't care less.

Back