Decribe you bed and breakfast in 6 seconds

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
Something to think about. At our conference we were told by the speaker that you must capture people in 6 seconds. How would you decribe you place if you only had 6 seconds to grab people. This might be interesting how each one of us would do it different.

A comfy B&B near Ashland University.
Longer version: A comfy B&B between Ashland University and Ashland Theological Seminary in Ashland, Ohio.
=)
Kk.

1886 Victorian B&B newly remodeled for your enjoyment and relaxation, located in the heart of Manitou Springs, CO.
This is a good exercise to develop your speil. How could my 6 seconds be better?
r

A newly-built wine-country themed bed and breakfast located in a cluster of wineries 6.5 miles from Charlottesville, 2.5 miles from Monticello, and 4 miles from Ashlawn-Highland and Michie Tavern.

"Cozy lodging close to shopping in (mytown, mystate)."
It's your sound bite that your speaker was talking about. It's what you can quickly say when you are introducing yourself. It's very effective. I've been at meetings where business owners were asked to introduce themselves and their business in 10 words or less. Amazing how many people cannot do that and drag on and on for minutes about what they 'do'.
You can also use this as your tag line in emails.

I am not submitting mine on this forum to protect the innocent, that would be me.
I have in my drafts folder this:
  1. 50 word description
  2. 250 word descpription
  3. Lengthy Description
etc etc
I can pull any of these out within a seconds notice. No reiventing the wheel. (I do update it from time to time). The first one being the verbal schpeal.
If you are on BBONLINE you would see this one simple opener is called your TAGLINE.

Interesting adjectives y'all are using, comfy, relaxing, cozy, etc.
It would be interesting to hear the impression of a new member(s) on this forum who does not know each INN or INNKEEPER when reading those words/descriptions? What is their first impression?
Does cozy give the feel of a log cabin or snuggly quilt? Test subjects right here on the forum, whowouldathunkit?
What other words do you use to make the guest FEEL what your place is about?
  • Quiet
  • Quaint Small Town
  • Historic
  • Casual
  • Ecclectic
  • Noble
  • Stately
  • Elegant
just some examples...add on, please.
I also have a motto that I use to give a feel for our place and us. Do you have a catchphrase/motto that invokes what your B&B is about or a sample of what it is about?
PS The google ads to the left are hitting all the same adjectives. That is another thing to think of, you can have like 11 words - like in a google ad, what would they be?

I think "cozy" means "small." (I know it has other connotations, but that's what it means to me.)
You left "historic" off your list.
Of the three traditional B&B's in our town, one is historic... all the furnishings are authentic 19th century pieces. One is elegant... simply beautiful, nothing chinzy anywhere. Then there's us. We have a few older pieces (not 19th century, but then, neither is our house) some things that are very pretty, but generally we're modern and comfortable and all about amenities for traveler's comfort. Hence, comfy. We tell people our goal is to be really nice, but not so nice that you have to be careful how you sit, to have nice dishes and cloth napkins, but nothing so valuable that it can't be replaced at the next estate auction I go to.
It seems to be working... guests tell us they are soooo comfortable here.
=)
Kk.

I have a "motto" that is the last thing on my email signature. I've used the following quick tagline on the directories - "Five beautifully appointed guest rooms, two historic properties in (my city, town), one great B&B experience!"
I'm re-thinking these all the time to really define my niche compared to the other B&Bs here. More along the lines of personal service, as the others are run by staff.
Thanks for bringing this up! Great exercise to get our marketing minds going!
regular_smile.gif

I have a "motto" that is the last thing on my email signature. I've used the following quick tagline on the directories - "Five beautifully appointed guest rooms, two historic properties in (my city, town), one great B&B experience!"
I'm re-thinking these all the time to really define my niche compared to the other B&Bs here. More along the lines of personal service, as the others are run by staff.
regular_smile.gif
One of my sons wants to know what the flower in your avatar is called.
=)
Kk.

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
I agree. You have a LARGE INN nearby, so something that denotes personal attention versus herd staff - that was a type but really fits! (hired staff) Not so much that you would turn away honeymooners etc who are looking for privacy. That place is a hotel experience. Maybe you can work on some antonyms to the awful things we get at hotels. Like one I was in recently with an on off on off heater unit, it was just plain terrible.

regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
I think it's some kind of iris...we inherited it in the landscaping of our second house.

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
I agree. You have a LARGE INN nearby, so something that denotes personal attention versus herd staff - that was a type but really fits! (hired staff) Not so much that you would turn away honeymooners etc who are looking for privacy. That place is a hotel experience. Maybe you can work on some antonyms to the awful things we get at hotels. Like one I was in recently with an on off on off heater unit, it was just plain terrible.
Good advice, JBJ! Thanks!
regular_smile.gif

Other good words - quiet, serene, tranquil
I stay away from cozy as I read long ago (in some B&B marketing material) that people associate that to small, or cluttered like grandma's house.
I have one room that I have to keep forcing myself not to use this word as it fits the room to a T and many comments of guests use the word for that room a lot. It is our smallest room but it really is not that small or cluttered and do not want to jinx it.

My tagline is: Where you are treated like a guest, but feel like family!
The 6 seconds is also called your elevator speech:
We have comfortable beds, great food, fresh-ground coffee and many teas, and we know where the best things to see and do are located - wineries, rail-trails, covered bridges...
Actiually it varies of course with the venue. I try to promote my region and my town. I am even FINALLY getting folks here to start referring to the road in from the Interstate from a horrible road to "a scenic country road following a meandering creek......"

I stay away from cozy as I read long ago (in some B&B marketing material) that people associate that to small, or cluttered like grandma's house.
I have one room that I have to keep forcing myself not to use this word as it fits the room to a T and many comments of guests use the word for that room a lot. It is our smallest room but it really is not that small or cluttered and do not want to jinx it..
I've thought about 'serene' and words like that but I'm a on a truck route and I take kids! We're not elegant, stately or anything like that. Cozy fit and had a nice ring to it. I guess I have to think about it again. And, yes, my rooms are SMALL. Most of my friends' bedrooms are huge compared to my guestrooms.
But, it may be time to change...

I have one room that I have to keep forcing myself not to use this word as it fits the room to a T and many comments of guests use the word for that room a lot. It is our smallest room but it really is not that small or cluttered and do not want to jinx it..
I've thought about 'serene' and words like that but I'm a on a truck route and I take kids! We're not elegant, stately or anything like that. Cozy fit and had a nice ring to it. I guess I have to think about it again. And, yes, my rooms are SMALL. Most of my friends' bedrooms are huge compared to my guestrooms.
Bree said:
I think it was a few years back when y'all convinced me to take the word "quaint" out of a room description. IT IS QUAINT! AND IT IS LARGE! But not a good word I guess from others perspective. Remember when you asked abotu Cabaret? I still have only seen it assoc with topless clubs, I mean, clarification, I have only noticed the word when referring to those - as in city newspaper bust or something (scuse the pun).

Bree said:
I think it was a few years back when y'all convinced me to take the word "quaint" out of a room description. IT IS QUAINT! AND IT IS LARGE! But not a good word I guess from others perspective. Remember when you asked abotu Cabaret? I still have only seen it assoc with topless clubs, I mean, clarification, I have only noticed the word when referring to those - as in city newspaper bust or something (scuse the pun).
May have been, because 'quaint' you ain't.
See how much easier it is to think about how words fit someone else's biz?

Bree said:
Bree said:
I AM, DANG IT! I AM QUAINT!
cry_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
I think it's some kind of iris...we inherited it in the landscaping of our second house.
Samster said:
Looks like a Dutch Iris to me, but my eyes are not what they used to be. (For the first time, I am OLDER than the president!)

Back