Designing a logo

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Has anyone had a logo designed for them? I'm curious as to the going rate for hiring a graphic designer to do this, what I should expect from them in terms of 'materials' (what format the finished product should be in, how should it be delivered? CD, email?), anything else you can think of...

Have you selected a designer already? I have seen logo design websites where you enter your parameters (business type, colors, mood/concept, tagline, etc.) and then a bunch of competing folks work on it, and present you with ideas, along with bids for completing the job and providing the output. The bids I saw were in the low-to-mid hundreds, if I remember correctly.

Have you selected a designer already? I have seen logo design websites where you enter your parameters (business type, colors, mood/concept, tagline, etc.) and then a bunch of competing folks work on it, and present you with ideas, along with bids for completing the job and providing the output. The bids I saw were in the low-to-mid hundreds, if I remember correctly..
I haven't selected anyone, but I was talking with a student tonight and it got me thinking. She needs a portfolio for graduation, I need a logo! But I was wondering, if she doesn't know everything, at least I should understand what I need to get from her so it's usable to me.

Make sure the design is one that's scaleable (vector based and not raster based). The designer should provide you with a number of concepts (3-5) which will then be tweaked and finessed based on your feedback until you you arrive at a final design.
The designer should provide you with final files in colour and black & white versions, in formats appropriate for different uses: RGB jpegs for web use, CMYK and B&W eps and pdf for print, CMYK jpeg or tiff to use in low-res page layout (printing from a home printer). They can be emailed. The designer should also make sure the logo is built in such a way that it can be used on a white or coloured background.
As IronGate said, low-to-mid hundreds is reasonable for price.

In a quick google search I found this site that gave some prices to give you an idea. Since this is a student, you may be able to negotiate a little by adding to her portfolio and offering her a tag line (or something) on your website. Name recognition is what they are after in the beginning.

this is a cool site for a logo
http://www.logomyway.com/
it is where I got the skygle logo
http://skygle.com/
You put a prize up and several designers submit their designs.
I have no affiliation with logo my way

Make sure the design is one that's scaleable (vector based and not raster based). The designer should provide you with a number of concepts (3-5) which will then be tweaked and finessed based on your feedback until you you arrive at a final design.
The designer should provide you with final files in colour and black & white versions, in formats appropriate for different uses: RGB jpegs for web use, CMYK and B&W eps and pdf for print, CMYK jpeg or tiff to use in low-res page layout (printing from a home printer). They can be emailed. The designer should also make sure the logo is built in such a way that it can be used on a white or coloured background.
As IronGate said, low-to-mid hundreds is reasonable for price..
YES! That's what I needed to know! I am always seeing those terms on print ads and I have no idea what they mean, but they scare me off so I rarely do print ads! I know the guy who does the rack cards also wants anything like a logo submitted in a vector format.

Thanks for the all the help! I'll look at those websites later on today.

Thanks for the all the help! I'll look at those websites later on today..
I know you're not interested in Deneen Pottery but I'll just throw this out there for anyone who might be - they designed an 'emblem' for our Christmas ornaments which we use as a logo; for $150 they gave us the logo in all sorts of electronic forms for use in other media.

Thanks for sharing muirford.
thumbs_up.gif

As IronGate said, low-to-mid hundreds is reasonable for price..
We went through this and what happyjacks says is spot on. I would like to add that we found the designers speak a bit different language that we do and their mental vision of the project is not the same as ours. What worked for us as we finalized the design was to print out the design and hand draw our wants over their interpretation. Circle things and make arrows to show where you want this graphic. Draw in the exact font size you have in mind and provide font style examples and exact color chips for the various elements of the design. We used a special font that we had to buy. One designer told us it would be far too expensive to purchase that particular font and not even try, another designer directed us to a site where we bought it for $20. Try to not get locked in with a designer until you know they can and are willing to do it the way you want. We are working with our 4th now....

Thanks for the all the help! I'll look at those websites later on today..
I know you're not interested in Deneen Pottery but I'll just throw this out there for anyone who might be - they designed an 'emblem' for our Christmas ornaments which we use as a logo; for $150 they gave us the logo in all sorts of electronic forms for use in other media.
A very good deal. And something that just might work for a lot of folks.

I had our son who is an architect do our logo in many variations and formats. You need to have some kind of a concept for what you want that will portray your "brand" and then let the graphic designer or whomever go with it and then tweak it to what YOU want.
There are some logos that are simply a sketch of the inn in an oval or whatever. I like the ones personally that show a bit more pizazz. :)
Great idea from Muirford about Deneen. $150 is a great price.

I had our son who is an architect do our logo in many variations and formats. You need to have some kind of a concept for what you want that will portray your "brand" and then let the graphic designer or whomever go with it and then tweak it to what YOU want.
There are some logos that are simply a sketch of the inn in an oval or whatever. I like the ones personally that show a bit more pizazz. :)
Great idea from Muirford about Deneen. $150 is a great price..
Samster said:
Great idea from Muirford about Deneen. $150 is a great price.
Just to be clear, that is what you get from Deneen. It's a sketch of the inn in an oval or whatever. So - no pizzazz, but a great price. We're happy with it - we didn't need a flashy logo.

I had my logo designed by a local company. I went online and googled it and picked the company that had samples that I liked. They charged us less since we were small. They usually come up with 10 designs and you pick the one you like. Since they charges us less they gave us 5 to pick from IT WAS DIFFICULT as they were all wonderful!
I think I paid $500? Then they designed my wine label for nothing. They loved doing something that was not the same old corporate thing. This was 8 years ago.
Riki

Back