Dessert well running dry

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During our trip this Summer I noticed that whenever there was a treat left out not many people ate it. Now, Caitlin and I always had some
wink_smile.gif
When you put out your cookies do you put them under something like a glass dome? They should last like 2 days that way. Do you leave them out during the evening? Maybe some guests like treats for an evening sweet, you know when you go out to dinner but you are too full to eat dessert right then.
But if you are finding that no one is eating your treats no matter what you do, I would just stick to some wrapped candies and a few pieces of fruit.

During our trip this Summer I noticed that whenever there was a treat left out not many people ate it. Now, Caitlin and I always had some
wink_smile.gif
When you put out your cookies do you put them under something like a glass dome? They should last like 2 days that way. Do you leave them out during the evening? Maybe some guests like treats for an evening sweet, you know when you go out to dinner but you are too full to eat dessert right then.
But if you are finding that no one is eating your treats no matter what you do, I would just stick to some wrapped candies and a few pieces of fruit..
Yep, always under a dome on a cake plate...leave them from check in until the next morning. Do you think a new fresh item should be served daily, or is it ok to leave them there until they are eaten? I have been putting new stuff out everyday whether it's eaten or not...But I am the queen of over abundance! When they aren't eaten, sometimes I'll ziploc them and give them to guests when they check out as a road snack.

wink_smile.gif
But if you are finding that no one is eating your treats no matter what you do, I would just stick to some wrapped candies and a few pieces of fruit..
Yep, always under a dome on a cake plate...leave them from check in until the next morning. Do you think a new fresh item should be served daily, or is it ok to leave them there until they are eaten? I have been putting new stuff out everyday whether it's eaten or not...But I am the queen of over abundance! When they aren't eaten, sometimes I'll ziploc them and give them to guests when they check out as a road snack.
I think it's fine to have the same cookies out for 2 days. Have you thought about having a couple different cookie doughs in your fridge and bake a dozen at a time (less if you only have a few people)? That way if they're not eaten and you throw them away you don't feel so bad?
If the guests didn't eat the cookies while they were there why do you think they will eat them on their way home? You might just be throwing away $ by using your ziploc bags if they don't want them. I personally would like for you to give me a baggie of cookies for the road, but then again, I would be the one to help eat them while I was there
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
I think it's fine to have the same cookies out for 2 days. Have you thought about having a couple different cookie doughs in your fridge and bake a dozen at a time (less if you only have a few people)? That way if they're not eaten and you throw them away you don't feel so bad?
If the guests didn't eat the cookies while they were there why do you think they will eat them on their way home? You might just be throwing away $ by using your ziploc bags if they don't want them. I personally would like for you to give me a baggie of cookies for the road, but then again, I would be the one to help eat them while I was there
teeth_smile.gif

I know, I only do small amounts as it is and yes, I figure they probably end up in the trash too! That's why I'm thinking maybe only do weekends, if at all anymore... Our guests check in from 4-6, take off for dinner and there are so many yummy desserts at our local restaurants and on Main st (World Famous Enstroms candy shop here, bakeries, gelato shop and ice cream parlors...), it seems silly to put out more, they just sit there!

wink_smile.gif
I always ask if they would like a "care package" of muffins to take with them. Rarely, but sometimes, they decline. Usually the reaction is PLEASE!!! The most asked question, however, is "can we have the rest of our bread?"

I am not baking squat for just one room anymore. Sorry, it is what it is. If I have a weekend full or houseful midweek I will. I am disgruntled right now. It only takes a couple guests who suck you dry of these things for you to not want to put them out again.
I will only do it for a full house now. (I say this today). If I have some nice macadamia white chunk frozen cookies I will put them out, and then I will throw them away, like I always do. One nighters just don't get into the snacks like multiple night stays. It is more waste than any other thing I do here.

I am not baking squat for just one room anymore. Sorry, it is what it is. If I have a weekend full or houseful midweek I will. I am disgruntled right now. It only takes a couple guests who suck you dry of these things for you to not want to put them out again.
I will only do it for a full house now. (I say this today). If I have some nice macadamia white chunk frozen cookies I will put them out, and then I will throw them away, like I always do. One nighters just don't get into the snacks like multiple night stays. It is more waste than any other thing I do here..
How about having some packaged items to put out for when you don't want to put out home backed items.

Well, because I was out of chocolate, I made the PB cookies, again. But it was futile, noone ate them....
sad_smile.gif

I am to the point I only want to offer the afternoon goodies on the weekends. DH disagrees, thinks we should have the stuff out all the time. Well then YOU MAKE IT, is what I'm thinking! It's an hour out of my day for noone one to eat it-but us, and we can't be eating that stuff anymore!
It just seems like a waste to throw so much of it away. Anyone here only do weekend treats?
Thanks everyone for your ideas, I really like the rice krispie treats, I've never made them and I know you can vary them a lot, plus my son LOVES them! I like the trifle idea too, but refrigeration is the issue...I don't want to put out anything that needs refrigeration.
I did put out a plate of chocolate truffles the other day, they were a hit.
Sometimes I've thought of just doing a white trash liquor store theme, twinkies, ding-dongs, zingers, sno-balls all the stuff you know you'd buy when you go into the circle K if noone saw you! I bet some folks would love it! Then again, more stuff in the house we shouldn't be eating! On the other hand- it has a shelf life, HA!.
Whenever I put them out, they are gone! Rarely are any of the treats left behind. In the Main House, I'll either put them out in the dining room with iced tea & Cokes in the afternoon if we've got a full house, or I put them up in the guest service area on a glass plate with a dome & tongs and napkins & small clear plastic plates in the evening. If we have one room in the Main House, I always just plate them up. Sometimes it depends on how my day is flowing.
For our second house guests, I always plate them, plastic wrap them, & put them in the room with beverage size napkins. I think that our guests like that personal touch with the treats.
teeth_smile.gif

The only times that they haven't been eaten was if someone had an allergy that they failed to let us know about (and their traveling companion said they'd take care of the goodies). lol.
I'm trying a new thing this week & putting a little basket in the guest suites in our cottage with apple, banana, peanuts, granola bar, 100 cal pack of crackers, 2 mini Moon Pies & a couple of homemade oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm trying to keep them over there. Haha!
wink_smile.gif

I think you have to figure out what works for you...I'm always trying new things.
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
I would do a fresh item every day. Also, some people might not be sampling from the domed plate because they have a thing about "shared" food, even though it's domed & all that.
Try freezing some things ahead of time and then you can tap into that source if you're not full :)

I will only do it for a full house now. (I say this today). If I have some nice macadamia white chunk frozen cookies I will put them out, and then I will throw them away, like I always do. One nighters just don't get into the snacks like multiple night stays. It is more waste than any other thing I do here..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I will only do it for a full house now. (I say this today). If I have some nice macadamia white chunk frozen cookies I will put them out, and then I will throw them away, like I always do. One nighters just don't get into the snacks like multiple night stays. It is more waste than any other thing I do here.
I'm making those pnut butter cookies today. The recipe makes 16. I put out 12 and freeze the rest. If I do this a couple of times in a week, I end up with enough frozen ones that I can just take them out and thaw for one room. Anything leftover that is frozen is good for one room. Cupcakes-thaw, frost (hmmm, that doesn't look right) and good to go.
I had fresh fruit out last week. One couple ate all of it. It was good to see it go...

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I'm making those pnut butter cookies today. The recipe makes 16. I put out 12 and freeze the rest. If I do this a couple of times in a week, I end up with enough frozen ones that I can just take them out and thaw for one room. Anything leftover that is frozen is good for one room. Cupcakes-thaw, frost (hmmm, that doesn't look right) and good to go.
I had fresh fruit out last week. One couple ate all of it. It was good to see it go...
It must be like a virus today - I made the peanut butter cookies today too!

Well, because I was out of chocolate, I made the PB cookies, again. But it was futile, noone ate them....
sad_smile.gif

I am to the point I only want to offer the afternoon goodies on the weekends. DH disagrees, thinks we should have the stuff out all the time. Well then YOU MAKE IT, is what I'm thinking! It's an hour out of my day for noone one to eat it-but us, and we can't be eating that stuff anymore!
It just seems like a waste to throw so much of it away. Anyone here only do weekend treats?
Thanks everyone for your ideas, I really like the rice krispie treats, I've never made them and I know you can vary them a lot, plus my son LOVES them! I like the trifle idea too, but refrigeration is the issue...I don't want to put out anything that needs refrigeration.
Sometimes I've thought of just doing a white trash liquor store theme, twinkies, ding-dongs, zingers, sno-balls all the stuff you know you'd buy when you go into the circle K if noone saw you! I bet some folks would love it! Then again, more stuff in the house we shouldn't be eating! On the other hand- it has a shelf life, HA!.
I just put out baked goods left from breakfast in a glass covered dish. If they are new guests arriving they don't know that it was left over from breakfast and if its guests that were there for breakfast they probably want some more of what they had if they really liked it. I keep Pillsbury choclate chip quick bread on hand and make mini muffins out of them especially if I know that new guests are arriving and they have teenagers.

sad_smile.gif

I make a triple or quadruple batch of choc chip cookies, bake as many as I need for the guests, then scoop the rest into cookie size balls into plastic containers and freeze them. Then when I have one room checking in I can bake enough for that room (OK, I bake at least 10, since if I don't there won't be any left for the guests once the ds4x2 and I have our samples).
It's nice because I only bake as many as I need, but the best part is straight from freezer to oven... no bowl, no mess, here's fresh cookies for the guests.
I also keep them in the glass covered dome, with a pair of tongs and napkins nearby.
Along with everyone else I made the PB cookies this week for a guest who had specified "no flour." She was plesantly surprised... "No one's ever made flourless cookies for me before!" I could have made No Bakes, but the PB was fast and easy...
=)
Kk.

sad_smile.gif

I make a triple or quadruple batch of choc chip cookies, bake as many as I need for the guests, then scoop the rest into cookie size balls into plastic containers and freeze them. Then when I have one room checking in I can bake enough for that room (OK, I bake at least 10, since if I don't there won't be any left for the guests once the ds4x2 and I have our samples).
It's nice because I only bake as many as I need, but the best part is straight from freezer to oven... no bowl, no mess, here's fresh cookies for the guests.
I also keep them in the glass covered dome, with a pair of tongs and napkins nearby.
Along with everyone else I made the PB cookies this week for a guest who had specified "no flour." She was plesantly surprised... "No one's ever made flourless cookies for me before!" I could have made No Bakes, but the PB was fast and easy...
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I had about a dozen of those leftover from this week so I took them out of the freezer and gave myself a baking day off! Altho, I do have some bananas out there wanting to be made into something pretty quick.

I finally made them! Awesome! I got "such a deal" on Smuckers Organic Peanut Butter last week. I made a double batch - just emptied the jar - but made the cookies too big. One does me in! Planning to get my skateboard kids to come over and make them to sell at the Farmers Market this week - if i can track the kids down - maybe at the demo tomorrow - oops, today!

Back