Dessert well running dry

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowpondgj

Reaction score
I need ideas for quick and easy things to put out for afternoon treats when there are 4 guests or less.... No-bake is great, don't want to have to refrigerate it if possible...
Getting tired of the same old cake slices and cookies...
Thanks!

See the simple peanut butter cookie recipe....that wins my vote ;).
That's my recipe!
tounge_smile.gif

That's my recipe!
tounge_smile.gif

No...that's my recipe
teeth_smile.gif
See there are only so many recipes in this world and we all have them!!! Go to Allrecipes.com...tons of ideas there for you. I can't believe you can't come up with some different ones. Gosh...my shelves are lined with cookbooks. I just bought one at a nearby Book Fair for $4.....which uses condensed milk and there are so many yummy recipes in it.. Don't you know my dr...says get off of sugar!!! Right!!!! Not a snowball's chance in Heck...
devil_smile.gif

Rice Krispie Treats? They could be very elegant as little balls in cupcake papers. Just plop a couple of spoonfuls on oiled plastic wrap and twist shut to mold it.
Chocolate-dipped pretzels or marshmallows? I'll eat anything dipped in chocolate. My friend made marshmallows dipped in chocolate, cornflakes and more chocolate for a party once and they were a huge hit. I don't know what it's called, but I've also seen it done with the mini marshmallows, just stirred into the chocolate with cornflakes and plunked into cupcake wrappers.
I haven't done enough research into Health Code since we don't have our B&B yet, but for impromptu house guests I just keep batches of baked scones, muffins, cookies, etc. in the freezer and heat them up in the toaster for a few minutes to defrost and get the crisp back on 'em. It's just me and DH for now, so any recipe that makes more than 4 of something goes straight into the freezer.

Here is my super secret recipe for one of my afternoon treats that is ALWAYS a hit!
Krusteaz Lemon Bars.
Yep, out of a box I'm ashamed to say but I originally kept them on hand to use in a pinch. Guess what?? The guests raved! What can I say...they come close to my scratch recipe. They also freeze very nicely. Defrost & dust with more powdered sugar. Easy when you don't have something made up & you just need to get something made.

That's my recipe!
tounge_smile.gif

No...that's my recipe
teeth_smile.gif
See there are only so many recipes in this world and we all have them!!! Go to Allrecipes.com...tons of ideas there for you. I can't believe you can't come up with some different ones. Gosh...my shelves are lined with cookbooks. I just bought one at a nearby Book Fair for $4.....which uses condensed milk and there are so many yummy recipes in it.. Don't you know my dr...says get off of sugar!!! Right!!!! Not a snowball's chance in Heck...
devil_smile.gif

I'm bored of my cookbooks and the recipes are all too involved...Waaah!
cry_smile.gif

Here is my super secret recipe for one of my afternoon treats that is ALWAYS a hit!
Krusteaz Lemon Bars.
Yep, out of a box I'm ashamed to say but I originally kept them on hand to use in a pinch. Guess what?? The guests raved! What can I say...they come close to my scratch recipe. They also freeze very nicely. Defrost & dust with more powdered sugar. Easy when you don't have something made up & you just need to get something made..
S'mores Indoors
graham crackers
marshmallows
hershey bars or chocolate kisses
I line up graham cracker halves on a baking sheet, top with chocolate squares and a marshmallow -- put under the broiler (not too close) and broil just about a minute to TOAST the marshmallow - watch carefully! if you have chocolate kisses, toast the marshmallows first and then top with the kiss.
Remove from oven, top with other half of the graham cracker and serve
This is from the Hershey site using a microwave (I don't do it this way)
Place 1 graham cracker half on paper towel; top with chocolate bar half and marshmallow. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) in 10 second intervals until marshmallow puffs. Immediately top with second graham cracker half; press together gently. Repeat for each serving. Serve immediately.

Krusteaz Lemon Bars.
Yep, out of a box I'm ashamed to say but I originally kept them on hand to use in a pinch. Guess what?? The guests raved! What can I say...they come close to my scratch recipe. They also freeze very nicely. Defrost & dust with more powdered sugar. Easy when you don't have something made up & you just need to get something made..
S'mores Indoors
graham crackers
marshmallows
I line up graham cracker halves on a baking sheet, top with chocolate squares and a marshmallow -- put under the broiler (not too close) and broil just about a minute to TOAST the marshmallow - watch carefully! if you have chocolate kisses, toast the marshmallows first and then top with the kiss.
Place 1 graham cracker half on paper towel; top with chocolate bar half and marshmallow. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) in 10 second intervals until marshmallow puffs. Immediately top with second graham cracker half; press together gently. Repeat for each serving. Serve immediately.
Thanks for posting these!!! My boys have been begging me for Smores ever since they saw Barney eat them, but we have no campfire.
=)
Kk.

Krusteaz Lemon Bars.
S'mores Indoors
graham crackers
marshmallows
Thanks for posting these!!! My boys have been begging me for Smores ever since they saw Barney eat them, but we have no campfire.
=)
Kk.
if you use the broiler, watch the marshmallows close so they don't burn
when i was little, we used to 'toast' marshmallows over a stove burner (with mom right there). we had looooong sticks and we'd stick the marshmallow on and if we weren't careful, mom had a big old mess to clean off the stove top! can you imagine getting burnt marshmallow off the burner?? it was an electric stove. but i don't think she minded because it was HER idea and we did it more than once.

How about smoothies in champagne flutes?.
TRIFLE! this can be mostly store bought or what you have on hand ... since you're wanting to cut down on the baking.
my family used to LOVE it
chocolate cake
chocolate pudding
whipped cream (cool whip was fine with them)
you break the cake up into chunks. put some cake chunks in a glass bowl, trifle dish or individual serving bowls
then a layer of pudding
then a layer of whipped cream
depending on how big the bowl is, do more layers. but the top should be whipped cream
quick, easy and looks pretty!
you can vary this with white cake, sponge cake or angel food cake, strawberries (cut up fresh ones and toss with a little sugar or use thawed frozen berries STRAINED a bit and sweetened) and whipped cream
for 4th of july, i did red white and blue (strawberries and blueberries)

How about smoothies in champagne flutes?.
TRIFLE! this can be mostly store bought or what you have on hand ... since you're wanting to cut down on the baking.
my family used to LOVE it
chocolate cake
chocolate pudding
whipped cream (cool whip was fine with them)
you break the cake up into chunks. put some cake chunks in a glass bowl, trifle dish or individual serving bowls
then a layer of pudding
then a layer of whipped cream
depending on how big the bowl is, do more layers. but the top should be whipped cream
quick, easy and looks pretty!
you can vary this with white cake, sponge cake or angel food cake, strawberries (cut up fresh ones and toss with a little sugar or use thawed frozen berries STRAINED a bit and sweetened) and whipped cream
for 4th of july, i did red white and blue (strawberries and blueberries)
Try crushing up some Heath Candy bars and putting them on top of the layers of whipped cream.....
tounge_smile.gif

Well, because I was out of chocolate, I made the PB cookies, again. But it was futile, noone ate them....
sad_smile.gif

I am to the point I only want to offer the afternoon goodies on the weekends. DH disagrees, thinks we should have the stuff out all the time. Well then YOU MAKE IT, is what I'm thinking! It's an hour out of my day for noone one to eat it-but us, and we can't be eating that stuff anymore!
It just seems like a waste to throw so much of it away. Anyone here only do weekend treats?
Thanks everyone for your ideas, I really like the rice krispie treats, I've never made them and I know you can vary them a lot, plus my son LOVES them! I like the trifle idea too, but refrigeration is the issue...I don't want to put out anything that needs refrigeration.
I did put out a plate of chocolate truffles the other day, they were a hit.
Sometimes I've thought of just doing a white trash liquor store theme, twinkies, ding-dongs, zingers, sno-balls all the stuff you know you'd buy when you go into the circle K if noone saw you! I bet some folks would love it! Then again, more stuff in the house we shouldn't be eating! On the other hand- it has a shelf life, HA!

Well, because I was out of chocolate, I made the PB cookies, again. But it was futile, noone ate them....
sad_smile.gif

I am to the point I only want to offer the afternoon goodies on the weekends. DH disagrees, thinks we should have the stuff out all the time. Well then YOU MAKE IT, is what I'm thinking! It's an hour out of my day for noone one to eat it-but us, and we can't be eating that stuff anymore!
It just seems like a waste to throw so much of it away. Anyone here only do weekend treats?
Thanks everyone for your ideas, I really like the rice krispie treats, I've never made them and I know you can vary them a lot, plus my son LOVES them! I like the trifle idea too, but refrigeration is the issue...I don't want to put out anything that needs refrigeration.
Sometimes I've thought of just doing a white trash liquor store theme, twinkies, ding-dongs, zingers, sno-balls all the stuff you know you'd buy when you go into the circle K if noone saw you! I bet some folks would love it! Then again, more stuff in the house we shouldn't be eating! On the other hand- it has a shelf life, HA!.
LOL ... you had me at white trash liquor
tounge_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

Sometimes I've thought of just doing a white trash liquor store theme, twinkies, ding-dongs, zingers, sno-balls all the stuff you know you'd buy when you go into the circle K if noone saw you! I bet some folks would love it! Then again, more stuff in the house we shouldn't be eating! On the other hand- it has a shelf life, HA!.
I started out putting out goodies every afternoon....it was a waste of time! Most people weren't there..out doing the tourist thing.
I switched to putting a treat of some sort ..usually choc chip cookies...But I did do things like cheescake or pecan tarts etc...on a nice glass plate, covered it with plastic wrap and put it in their room. Cheesecake was in the guest fridge.....and I usually left a note telling them that.
We had a guest fridge with complimentary water and other beverages, so they could just help themselves. This usually worked the best. No sense in having wasted stuff sitting around. If they didn't eat the stuff the first day..it just stayed there...probably because they didn't want it. I always had candy dish full of a variety of chocolate in every room and did a truffle on the pillow at turn down. That was plenty.

sad_smile.gif

I do not do any "afternoon" treats. Less for the bottom line, more for the "saddlebags" if I do it, less time for me, and my guests are rarely here in the afternoon. If they want a snack - go to the Dairy Queen or Toni's Too (they have raspberry ice cream! as well as sugar-free, fat-free). If I were out in the boonies, I probably would make something for evening munch.
How is this for an idea - ask them if they want popcorn? Make popcorn on demand. I have also discovered that if I put butter on my popcorn (DH cannot eat it - hooray for my side) and sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar and then the salt shaker, I have my own kettle corn. Yum!

Maybe you are tired of cakes and cookies, but if you have different guests, they probably aren't.
But fresh fruit is also good to put out and doesn't require cooking.
Do what you do best.
I make home made treats too, but have out all the time pack of crackers and cookies the 100 calorie bags.

Back