Detached Baths

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I just saw a B&B listing three rooms. On each room description it said Private Bath Adjacent. What does that mean? Outside the door in the hall? Or inside the room ensuite? I saw another that did not mention the baths at all!
Then I saw this and thought it said it very clearly:
[tr] Room Rates
based on Double Occupancy[/td][/tr] [tr] Queen room - private bath[/td] [td]$125.00[/td][/tr] [tr] Queen room - private hall bath [/td] [td]$115.00[/td][/tr] [tr] Additional person[/td] [td]$30.00[/td][/tr] [tr]
Rates include a full country breakfast.[/td][/tr] [tr] [/td][/tr][/table]

I agree, adjacent is an ambiguous term when used to describe a bathroom's relation to a room.

What is the best way to describe a detached bath that is still private for the particular room it goes with?
I have three staterooms for guests. Two of them (the master stateroom and the smallest stateroom) have en suite bathrooms. My one in the middle has a detached bath, but it's a private bath just for use by the guests in that particular stateroom. From the door of that stateroom it is just 2 steps away across a very narrow hallway.

What is the best way to describe a detached bath that is still private for the particular room it goes with?
I have three staterooms for guests. Two of them (the master stateroom and the smallest stateroom) have en suite bathrooms. My one in the middle has a detached bath, but it's a private bath just for use by the guests in that particular stateroom. From the door of that stateroom it is just 2 steps away across a very narrow hallway..
Something like "Private detached bathroom" or "Private (across the hall) bathroom" is pretty clear.

I have three staterooms for guests. Two of them (the master stateroom and the smallest stateroom) have en suite bathrooms. My one in the middle has a detached bath, but it's a private bath just for use by the guests in that particular stateroom. From the door of that stateroom it is just 2 steps away across a very narrow hallway..
We have one exactly like that - it is directly across the hall about three steps (not a narrow hall like a boat but not so wide). In every confirmation I state that it is a private detached bath located a few steps across the hall.

Something like "Private detached bathroom" or "Private (across the hall) bathroom" is pretty clear.
swirt said:
You think so? Have you ever read any of the posts JBJ and I have about that d*** bathroom across the hall that NO ONE believes or understands is PRIVATE?
tounge_smile.gif
Believe me, it is NOT pretty clear to most guests who book online (they never read the description) or those who call (they don't understand that 'private' does NOT mean 'en suite' so they INSIST that they want a 'private' bathroom and do not want to share one).
The inspector who did the appraisal for the bank called the room with the detached bath 'functionally useless'. Really it isn't. It comes close to holding its own against the other rooms, but it takes SO much more work to book it.

swirt said:
You think so? Have you ever read any of the posts JBJ and I have about that d*** bathroom across the hall that NO ONE believes or understands is PRIVATE?
tounge_smile.gif
Believe me, it is NOT pretty clear to most guests who book online (they never read the description) or those who call (they don't understand that 'private' does NOT mean 'en suite' so they INSIST that they want a 'private' bathroom and do not want to share one).
The inspector who did the appraisal for the bank called the room with the detached bath 'functionally useless'. Really it isn't. It comes close to holding its own against the other rooms, but it takes SO much more work to book it.
LOL Writing clearly and getting people to read are two unrelated topics
tounge_smile.gif

How about if there is NO indication where the bath is, what then? If some room descriptions mention the bathroom and others don't, what about that? Do I assume the bath is not private or is private, en suite or not, if it is not mentioned? (I know, NEVER assume!)

How about if there is NO indication where the bath is, what then? If some room descriptions mention the bathroom and others don't, what about that? Do I assume the bath is not private or is private, en suite or not, if it is not mentioned? (I know, NEVER assume!).
LOL If the bathroom is never mentioned, I assume it is out back behind the house. That way no matter what it really is, I won't be disappointed.
tounge_smile.gif

Actually, if they don't mention it, I assume not ensuite and not private and I look elsewhere.

Dh just finished installing the door in the hallway to make room #2 ensuite with the bath. So now we have 2 "undetached" baths. Hooray!
teeth_smile.gif

whenever I see adjacent I figure outside the room - maybe across the hall or next door.
Riki

I'm thinking this is a person who does not know the proper term or who thinks the guests will not know what 'en suite' means. BUT, I would call and ask if planning to stay there.
I do get guests who ask what 'en suite' means. 'Does that mean private bathroom?'
(Sorry, didn't realize this was an old post...)

How about private off suite bathroom.
I think private, detached is what people understand. And then you can just mention how far it's detached.
wink_smile.gif

I have a 2 room, 2 bathroom suite that gets booked quite a bit & the second bath is detached, but within steps right across the hall. That suite is the whole front of the house & I even have a folding screen that I can put up in the hallway to totally block the other guest room at the back of the house. No one has taken me up on that yet. I don't think that room would rent on it's own though because of the detached bath and sharing a large wall with the other room. But the double suite is a big seller because it really is a good buy for families traveling together. I just raised the rate on it Jan 1st. It should probably be more.

Everyone knows I have 2 rooms that share a bath. What I do if the ensuite is booked and they want a private is offer to guarantee a private bath if they are willing to pay the private bath rate - I will not rent the third room. That has happened several times sucessfully - and since it is normally shared, they know it is outside their door. I also provide very nice robes.

Everyone knows I have 2 rooms that share a bath. What I do if the ensuite is booked and they want a private is offer to guarantee a private bath if they are willing to pay the private bath rate - I will not rent the third room. That has happened several times sucessfully - and since it is normally shared, they know it is outside their door. I also provide very nice robes..
I think robes are essential these days with a detached bath. I do have folks ask about the robes, which we have also.
You know, people can't pack hardly anything now if they're flying and want to carry on their bags. Another reason that they appreciate robes in the rooms :)

Everyone knows I have 2 rooms that share a bath. What I do if the ensuite is booked and they want a private is offer to guarantee a private bath if they are willing to pay the private bath rate - I will not rent the third room. That has happened several times sucessfully - and since it is normally shared, they know it is outside their door. I also provide very nice robes..
I think robes are essential these days with a detached bath. I do have folks ask about the robes, which we have also.
You know, people can't pack hardly anything now if they're flying and want to carry on their bags. Another reason that they appreciate robes in the rooms :)
One more item on the list for this month...new robes. I need just 3 for the deatched bath. Saw some nice looking ones at BB&B, but they were $40. Now, if I could gather up some 20% off coupons...

One more item on the list for this month...new robes. I need just 3 for the deatched bath. Saw some nice looking ones at BB&B, but they were $40. Now, if I could gather up some 20% off coupons...
I saw those too, they were nice & thick. Tuesday Morning, I think (or might have been BB&B), had a gift set for around that price or a few $$ more with a towel & washcloth. I almost bought a couple for "spares" with my coupons. I have a dozen waffle weave robes, all monogrammed from DNJ Specialties. They've really worked out nicely. Not large enough for really LARGE men, though but they are the type around here that wouldn't wear them anyway. haha!

Bree said:
Let me know if you need some and I will check with a few neighbors and see if they have any. They used to send them out like hotcakes but I've only gotten 1 in the past few months, and can't even find where I've put that!

Back