Detachment Disorder

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I'm new (sort of... I've been sneaking in and reading posts for a couple weeks now. I'm an aspiring, and, yes, I've read all your warnings and still can't wait to find our very own B&B-worthy home!)
Anyway, this coming from the perspective of a B&B guest, regarding the original topic of this thread, though it seems to have strayed. The first B&B DH and I visited was on our honeymoon. Unfortunately, the last room at the B&B that I fell in love with (in Provence) had a private hall bath. I wouldn't have even said anything if it hadn't been our honeymoon, but the host assured me ahead of time that it was private and locked, and that we'd have robes and slippers to make the trek down the hall.
This part I thought was a little strange, but after reading your posts I now understand why. She had porcelain tiles on each door painted with the room name, and our bathroom had an identical sign with the same name as our room. Since the door locked with the same key we used for our bedroom, we always locked (or at least closed) it behind us. And, with the door labeled and closed 99% of the time, most guests assumed it was just another guest room.
I figured some of you may already do this, and I know, it's still a sign and there are some people who will never read, but I thought it might be worth a shot since it seemed to work for them. I think the key is that it looked exactly like every other guestroom door on that hallway. Maybe "private" is just too tempting for some people
wink_smile.gif
Hi Stephanie and welcome to INNspiring. Glad we haven't scared you off. That is a very good point you make regarding just putting the name of the room on it and keying it the same as the room. Could be a great tip for those with similar set-ups.

Hi! I'm new (sort of... I've been sneaking in and reading posts for a couple weeks now. I'm an aspiring, and, yes, I've read all your warnings and still can't wait to find our very own B&B-worthy home!)
Anyway, this coming from the perspective of a B&B guest, regarding the original topic of this thread, though it seems to have strayed. The first B&B DH and I visited was on our honeymoon. Unfortunately, the last room at the B&B that I fell in love with (in Provence) had a private hall bath. I wouldn't have even said anything if it hadn't been our honeymoon, but the host assured me ahead of time that it was private and locked, and that we'd have robes and slippers to make the trek down the hall.
This part I thought was a little strange, but after reading your posts I now understand why. She had porcelain tiles on each door painted with the room name, and our bathroom had an identical sign with the same name as our room. Since the door locked with the same key we used for our bedroom, we always locked (or at least closed) it behind us. And, with the door labeled and closed 99% of the time, most guests assumed it was just another guest room.
I figured some of you may already do this, and I know, it's still a sign and there are some people who will never read, but I thought it might be worth a shot since it seemed to work for them. I think the key is that it looked exactly like every other guestroom door on that hallway. Maybe "private" is just too tempting for some people
wink_smile.gif
Hi Stephanie and welcome to INNspiring. Glad we haven't scared you off. That is a very good point you make regarding just putting the name of the room on it and keying it the same as the room. Could be a great tip for those with similar set-ups.
Thanks, Swirt! Thanks so much for putting all this together.
Not at all scared off. You guys are awesome. I'm so grateful to have found such a great forum and LOVE that you're all so honest about the profession--I was starting to get sick of reading over-polished, vague how-to books. I want the real stories!
Now, if only I could talk DH out of thinking it'll just be a way for him to have more time to his books...

wink_smile.gif
Not at all scared off. You guys are awesome. I'm so grateful to have found such a great forum and LOVE that you're all so honest about the profession--I was starting to get sick of reading over-polished, vague how-to books. I want the real stories!
Now, if only I could talk DH out of thinking it'll just be a way for him to have more time to his books...
LOL thinking a B&B will lead to more time for anything is probably a mistake ;)

wink_smile.gif
Anyway, this coming from the perspective of a B&B guest, regarding the original topic of this thread, though it seems to have strayed.
Stick around and you find that it is unusual when we DON'T stray off topic. One thought leads to another......
Welcome.

wink_smile.gif
Stephanie said:
Welcome! Yes you came to the right cut-to-the-chase place. I can say that many of us were HARMED by those over-polished vague how-to-books! HARMED BEYOND BELIEF. There is nothing wrong with rose tinted glasses, we all are dreamers and hope to achieve our dreams. That is what it is all about! But they seem to avoid the down and dirty the nitty gritty the real innkeeping.
Youc an run your place like a fine tuned machine and someone throws a spanner into it...one bad guest, one mishap and chaos ensues - but you have to keep your cool and act like snafu is just the way it is at a B&B.
The beauty of this forum is we get to talk about a KID PEEING THE BED EVERY NIGHT OF HIS STAY AND HIS IMBECILE PARENTS NOT PUTTING NAPPIES ON HIS BUTT. SLAP THE PARENTS!
We can't talk about this with our guests, with our friends, family. NO BODY GETS IT! But here, people get it, we have been there done that for many of these situations.
Glad you could join us. Any particular part of the country you are dreaming of for your B&B?

wink_smile.gif
Stephanie said:
Welcome! Yes you came to the right cut-to-the-chase place. I can say that many of us were HARMED by those over-polished vague how-to-books! HARMED BEYOND BELIEF. There is nothing wrong with rose tinted glasses, we all are dreamers and hope to achieve our dreams. That is what it is all about! But they seem to avoid the down and dirty the nitty gritty the real innkeeping.
Youc an run your place like a fine tuned machine and someone throws a spanner into it...one bad guest, one mishap and chaos ensues - but you have to keep your cool and act like snafu is just the way it is at a B&B.
The beauty of this forum is we get to talk about a KID PEEING THE BED EVERY NIGHT OF HIS STAY AND HIS IMBECILE PARENTS NOT PUTTING NAPPIES ON HIS BUTT. SLAP THE PARENTS!
We can't talk about this with our guests, with our friends, family. NO BODY GETS IT! But here, people get it, we have been there done that for many of these situations.
Glad you could join us. Any particular part of the country you are dreaming of for your B&B?
Yes, the peeing stories are valuable lessons. At least the first time we have an "incident" it won't catch me off guard!
For now, we're keeping an eye on a 2-hour radius of NYC, since we have roots in the area and want to stay close by. We're not tied down to a specific location yet, and we're hoping for it to support the 2 of us (with some freelance work on the side), so a year-round location would be ideal. That narrows it down to the Poconos and the Catskills, as far as I can tell.
If you happen to have any leads, please pass them on! I'm tracking bedandbreakfast, bbonline and PAII already.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

If you can't train family members, who can you train? haha!
regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
He also clogged up the bog and I had a plunger right beside the toilet. He came down asking for one. See guys, people in a different environment get turned about. He said, "No there is not!" and was embarrassed. I said, Yes, I put it there before you arrived.
People don't read, listen, think or see. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
He also clogged up the bog and I had a plunger right beside the toilet. He came down asking for one. See guys, people in a different environment get turned about. He said, "No there is not!" and was embarrassed. I said, Yes, I put it there before you arrived.
People don't read, listen, think or see. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
OK, walking proof right here...in the laundromat today...read the directions on the washer to close lid, put in money and washer would start. No directions on dryer. Put in money, turned knob to deposit coins. Big 25 c on the machine. Nothing happens. I try one more quarter. Then I ask woman standing next to me who is taking dry clothes out...'How many quarters to start this?' She looks at me crooked and says, 'One. You have to push the 'start' button.' (Clearly labeled 'start'. Ouch.)
And this is why I used the small washers. The triple load one had directions that were a mile long and it didn't LOOK all that big anyway. I figured the small top load washer would be simple. The big one with the 'dry' ingredients and 'wet' ingredients directions was too much. It was hot, loud and crowded in there and I just didn't want to look like an idiot. Ha, too late...
sad_smile.gif

You made me laugh out loud today.
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Stephanie said:
Yes, the peeing stories are valuable lessons. At least the first time we have an "incident" it won't catch me off guard!
For now, we're keeping an eye on a 2-hour radius of NYC, since we have roots in the area and want to stay close by. We're not tied down to a specific location yet, and we're hoping for it to support the 2 of us (with some freelance work on the side), so a year-round location would be ideal. That narrows it down to the Poconos and the Catskills, as far as I can tell.
If you happen to have any leads, please pass them on! I'm tracking bedandbreakfast, bbonline and PAII already.
Empire State Bed & Breakfast Association's Inns For Sale page -
http://www.esbba.com/innsforsale.shtml
My personal and not humble opinion is that one should belong to the State Association.

wink_smile.gif
stephanie said:
wink_smile.gif
I like this idea. I may have to see what I can come up with as all the door signs were made a long time ago and are unavailable now.

wink_smile.gif
Stephanie said:
stephanie said:
Have you considered CT?
I'm glad you found the peeing story valuable!
teeth_smile.gif
I have found this forum to be a life saver this week, even tho I swore off it until the guests are gone.

Just got back from another scouting trip! I'll post a new thread about locations, since I have some new questions.
Bree, to be honest, I know very little about Connecticut. If you have any area recommendations, I'd be super grateful. The reason I gravitated toward the Poconos and the Catskills is the proximity to summer water/outdoor sports and skiing, to provide a variety of year-round attractions. If that exists in CT, I'd love to hear about it!
And gillumhouse, I know exactly what you mean about joining the local association. I'm already on the BoD of my current professional association because I find it invaluable to my career and the industry and was planning on joining a local B&B association as soon as we pick a state to buy a B&B in. I almost signed up for the ESBBA conference in November before discovering the Poconos in PA. I just can't seem to track down the official state B&B assoc in PA. Looks like it's a bunch of local/county assocs over there. Any ideas? I'll also ask on a new thread.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Just got back from another scouting trip! I'll post a new thread about locations, since I have some new questions.
Bree, to be honest, I know very little about Connecticut. If you have any area recommendations, I'd be super grateful. The reason I gravitated toward the Poconos and the Catskills is the proximity to summer water/outdoor sports and skiing, to provide a variety of year-round attractions. If that exists in CT, I'd love to hear about it!
And gillumhouse, I know exactly what you mean about joining the local association. I'm already on the BoD of my current professional association because I find it invaluable to my career and the industry and was planning on joining a local B&B association as soon as we pick a state to buy a B&B in. I almost signed up for the ESBBA conference in November before discovering the Poconos in PA. I just can't seem to track down the official state B&B assoc in PA. Looks like it's a bunch of local/county assocs over there. Any ideas? I'll also ask on a new thread.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement!.
I just can't seem to track down the official state B&B assoc in PA. Looks like it's a bunch of local/county assocs over there
You cannot find what does not exist. PA has a lot of small regional associations - nothing Statewide. They use Pensylavnia Travel & Lodging as the State group. Not, imnvho, enough for B & Bs since they focus on everything travel and I think hotels carry more clout.
In WV our Hospitality & Travel Association is the lobby arm for all and each of us have our own association to work for OUR group while the WVHTA works for all. If any group has a particular "dog in the fight" with the Legislature, WVHTA helps them in the fight.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!.
stephanie said:
I have no input on CT, either. When we looked there we were told we couldn't afford it. So we bought a more expensive place in another state. Truthfully? With the occ rates we saw in the areas we looked at in CT, we COULDN'T afford it! We're much better off here. But, JI owns a place near Yale and she has a different perspective than looking near Mohegan Sun, et al.

Back