Detachment Disorder

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
My cousin has been here for a few days and has had the room with the detached bath. Even with the bathroom outside the room, it is the most private room with no adjoining walls - there is a large deep closet between it and the next room over, and it is in the front of the house, so gets all the lovely morning sun through two windows.
Every time I bring a new guest upstairs that blasted bathroom door is open! I close it. Again and again I find it open!
He is VERY meticulous, his room is tidy, bed made, everything hanging in the closet.
What is the deal?
He has been here before, and he STILL THINKS that is a shared bathroom!
He said, I left it open - meaning noone was in there, it was free for the next person.
DOH!
So he was told it was private and he still didn't get it.
People don't listen. Bad enough people don't read.
He said, Oh well I was taking my stuff out of there all the time.

You might want to install a spring closure for the door... it fits on the hinges and has enough tension to gently close.. I don't think it will shut it completely but at least enought that guests don't have to stare right into the room

If you can't train family members, who can you train? haha!
regular_smile.gif

You might want to install a spring closure for the door... it fits on the hinges and has enough tension to gently close.. I don't think it will shut it completely but at least enought that guests don't have to stare right into the room.
What a great idea! Most of the time the guests close the door to the hall bath, but this would make sure it stays closed.

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
He also clogged up the bog and I had a plunger right beside the toilet. He came down asking for one. See guys, people in a different environment get turned about. He said, "No there is not!" and was embarrassed. I said, Yes, I put it there before you arrived.
People don't read, listen, think or see. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
He also clogged up the bog and I had a plunger right beside the toilet. He came down asking for one. See guys, people in a different environment get turned about. He said, "No there is not!" and was embarrassed. I said, Yes, I put it there before you arrived.
People don't read, listen, think or see. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
OK, walking proof right here...in the laundromat today...read the directions on the washer to close lid, put in money and washer would start. No directions on dryer. Put in money, turned knob to deposit coins. Big 25 c on the machine. Nothing happens. I try one more quarter. Then I ask woman standing next to me who is taking dry clothes out...'How many quarters to start this?' She looks at me crooked and says, 'One. You have to push the 'start' button.' (Clearly labeled 'start'. Ouch.)
And this is why I used the small washers. The triple load one had directions that were a mile long and it didn't LOOK all that big anyway. I figured the small top load washer would be simple. The big one with the 'dry' ingredients and 'wet' ingredients directions was too much. It was hot, loud and crowded in there and I just didn't want to look like an idiot. Ha, too late...
sad_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
Had a good laugh at this. When guests walk from their cabin to the beach they have to walk down a set of steps which end at our house. Then a path wraps around our house and continues down to the beach. At the bottom of the first set of steps is a flagstone path that clearly goes LEFT. Also there are lights that clearly go LEFT. One side of our house is all lit up (the LEFT) and the other side is completely black. No lights over there because there is nothing over there and no way to get to the beach from over their. I'm sitting in the living room at 10pm reading this forum and I hear a woman's voice talking to me from outside the window...
Her: Hi...how do I get to the beach?
Me: When you got to the bottom of the stairs just now you had the choice to go toward the lights, or go toward the darkness?
Her: Yes.
Me: Go toward the light.
Her: Oh, ok, thanks.
Me: <shakes head in disbelief>

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
Had a good laugh at this. When guests walk from their cabin to the beach they have to walk down a set of steps which end at our house. Then a path wraps around our house and continues down to the beach. At the bottom of the first set of steps is a flagstone path that clearly goes LEFT. Also there are lights that clearly go LEFT. One side of our house is all lit up (the LEFT) and the other side is completely black. No lights over there because there is nothing over there and no way to get to the beach from over their. I'm sitting in the living room at 10pm reading this forum and I hear a woman's voice talking to me from outside the window...
Me: When you got to the bottom of the stairs just now you had the choice to go toward the lights, or go toward the darkness?
swirt said:
Now that should be some sort of guest indicator...do they choose the light or the darkness? Hmmmmm. I should write a short story.

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
swirt said:
Now that should be some sort of guest indicator...do they choose the light or the darkness? Hmmmmm. I should write a short story.
LOL Yes the darkness should just lead to a large pit .... If they are dumb enough to choose the non-path, non-lit side....Darwin thins the herd. ;)

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
swirt said:
LOL Yes the darkness should just lead to a large pit .... If they are dumb enough to choose the non-path, non-lit side....Darwin thins the herd. ;)
swirt said:
Darwin never heard the saying "Only the good die young."
The dumbies live on and on and on...they propogate excessively and make little dumbies.

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
swirt said:
swirt said:
For a minute there I was thinking Darwin was the Doberman next door...but he is Rambo. A very nice dog, who just looks like a killer, like Stallone himself. LOL!

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
swirt said:
swirt said:
For a minute there I was thinking Darwin was the Doberman next door...but he is Rambo. A very nice dog, who just looks like a killer, like Stallone himself. LOL!
LOL Haven't seen the doberman in days, we think our invisible fencing collar on him is doing the trick of keeping him out. There is a family at a rental down the road a ways and their dog has been barking non-stop...we now joke about getting a bark collar and putting it on that dog. He'll be gone in a week.

I took our pooch for a walk last night and went past the new kid in town, this very calm, very sweet yellow lab. It never barked. Our dog whined to go and see this lab and she never barked. All I could think of was "Bark Collar? Invisible fence?" As it walks so well on down our street without even a lead.
As we rounded the corner it let out a couple woof woof's. What a sweet dog. The dog on the other side was barking continually the whole time we were on the street period.

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
swirt said:
swirt said:
The dumbies live on and on and on...they propogate excessively and make little dumbies.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Ain't that the truth!!! They are usually like rabbits!

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
swirt said:
swirt said:
LOL Haven't seen the doberman in days, we think our invisible fencing collar on him is doing the trick of keeping him out. There is a family at a rental down the road a ways and their dog has been barking non-stop...we now joke about getting a bark collar and putting it on that dog. He'll be gone in a week.
The worst annoying barking dog belonged to the former owners of the nearest inn to us. They would call animal control on anyone else's barking dog in a heartbeat, too. This dog would bark incessantly from morning until night when they would finally bring him in the house. I never understood it as it surely must have disturbed their guests if it annoyed us!!!

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
swirt said:
swirt said:
The worst annoying barking dog belonged to the former owners of the nearest inn to us. They would call animal control on anyone else's barking dog in a heartbeat, too. This dog would bark incessantly from morning until night when they would finally bring him in the house. I never understood it as it surely must have disturbed their guests if it annoyed us!!!
Samster said:
I HEARD IT! Remember I was asking "Where is that dog that barks all the time?" Any time it is put out it barks. When you told me innkeepers dog I nearly fell over.

regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
swirt said:
swirt said:
Samster said:
I HEARD IT! Remember I was asking "Where is that dog that barks all the time?" Any time it is put out it barks. When you told me innkeepers dog I nearly fell over.
I know!! It is totally quiet here on this block now...totally
regular_smile.gif

I took our pooch for a walk last night and went past the new kid in town, this very calm, very sweet yellow lab. It never barked. Our dog whined to go and see this lab and she never barked. All I could think of was "Bark Collar? Invisible fence?" As it walks so well on down our street without even a lead.
As we rounded the corner it let out a couple woof woof's. What a sweet dog. The dog on the other side was barking continually the whole time we were on the street period..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
As we rounded the corner it let out a couple woof woof's. What a sweet dog. The dog on the other side was barking continually the whole time we were on the street period.
I don't want to get going on this but, it looks like the door was opened...we walk our dog everywhere around town, take her in the car, etc. Hubs ties her up outside the general store and she sits there, waiting. (It used to be for a donut, but hubs is off those now, so she gets a dog biscuit instead.)
However, when other people pull up in their cars and get out, THEIR dogs bounce off the ceiling trying to get out, barking up a storm. My dog just sits there, staring at the door, from which will emerge her biscuit, followed closely by hubs. He says she never even LOOKS at the dogs in the cars.
BUT, let her see another golden on the street and it takes 3 men and a small boy to keep her from getting to that other dog. Still no barking, tho. But she does recognize 'her kind'. She pretty much ignores any other breed except maybe labs.

As we rounded the corner it let out a couple woof woof's. What a sweet dog. The dog on the other side was barking continually the whole time we were on the street period..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I don't want to get going on this but, it looks like the door was opened...we walk our dog everywhere around town, take her in the car, etc. Hubs ties her up outside the general store and she sits there, waiting. (It used to be for a donut, but hubs is off those now, so she gets a dog biscuit instead.)
However, when other people pull up in their cars and get out, THEIR dogs bounce off the ceiling trying to get out, barking up a storm. My dog just sits there, staring at the door, from which will emerge her biscuit, followed closely by hubs. He says she never even LOOKS at the dogs in the cars.
BUT, let her see another golden on the street and it takes 3 men and a small boy to keep her from getting to that other dog. Still no barking, tho. But she does recognize 'her kind'. She pretty much ignores any other breed except maybe labs.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
They know their 'kind' and they also know the kinds that are annoying. There is a chihuahua down the street that has small mans to the extreme. Every dog in town wants to whoop this irritating big head with legs.

Hi! I'm new (sort of... I've been sneaking in and reading posts for a couple weeks now. I'm an aspiring, and, yes, I've read all your warnings and still can't wait to find our very own B&B-worthy home!)
Anyway, this coming from the perspective of a B&B guest, regarding the original topic of this thread, though it seems to have strayed. The first B&B DH and I visited was on our honeymoon. Unfortunately, the last room at the B&B that I fell in love with (in Provence) had a private hall bath. I wouldn't have even said anything if it hadn't been our honeymoon, but the host assured me ahead of time that it was private and locked, and that we'd have robes and slippers to make the trek down the hall.
This part I thought was a little strange, but after reading your posts I now understand why. She had porcelain tiles on each door painted with the room name, and our bathroom had an identical sign with the same name as our room. Since the door locked with the same key we used for our bedroom, we always locked (or at least closed) it behind us. And, with the door labeled and closed 99% of the time, most guests assumed it was just another guest room.
I figured some of you may already do this, and I know, it's still a sign and there are some people who will never read, but I thought it might be worth a shot since it seemed to work for them. I think the key is that it looked exactly like every other guestroom door on that hallway. Maybe "private" is just too tempting for some people
wink_smile.gif

Back