Detecting a stain

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I had a brilliant plan - which I never carried out - or should I say carried in.
When you strip a room - carry a couple safety pins with you (even on a key chain or stuck on something you usually bring along) and when you find a stain - mark it with the safety pin. Then when you are back in the laundry room with a bottle of shout you can locate it again.
That was the plan, what I actually did was cart it back into the laundry room and try to spread it out in quarters - as much as I could at one time, to find the blasted blood spot and for the life of me could not find it again!

Better yet - do what I do and carry the stain remover with you and treat on the spot BEFORE it goes to laundry room.

Better yet - do what I do and carry the stain remover with you and treat on the spot BEFORE it goes to laundry room..
ginocat said:
Better yet - do what I do and carry the stain remover with you and treat on the spot BEFORE it goes to laundry room.
Good suggestion. I always joke with DW that I should develop a utility belt specifically designed for innkeepers ... stain remover, disinfectant, fells naptha soap, wd-40, screw drivers .... she jokes that she'd need a sherpa to lug it all around.

That's a GREAT idea - or you could use a bobby pin - I can't see a thing in the laundry room either. We have not yet walled in the new laundry room in the main house so I'm still in the dungeon under the original cottage section.
Hey, when are you all coming up to visit and show the girls Monticello? School's out soon....
RIki

Better yet - do what I do and carry the stain remover with you and treat on the spot BEFORE it goes to laundry room..
ginocat said:
That would never happen like today I had a line up of laundry...this was at the end of the line.

ginocat said:
Good suggestion. I always joke with DW that I should develop a utility belt specifically designed for innkeepers ... stain remover, disinfectant, fells naptha soap, wd-40, screw drivers .... she jokes that she'd need a sherpa to lug it all around.
swirt said:
ginocat said:
Delinters to grab hair off of fabric...
Yes that is diff tho, that is the maintenance utility belt. 8 in 1 scredriver to tighten door hinges, wd40 for squeaks, spare bulbs of 10 diff sizes and watts, polish, etc.

That's a GREAT idea - or you could use a bobby pin - I can't see a thing in the laundry room either. We have not yet walled in the new laundry room in the main house so I'm still in the dungeon under the original cottage section.
Hey, when are you all coming up to visit and show the girls Monticello? School's out soon....
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Issue I had was this quilt has red roses and embroidery all over it, and the stain was a small blood stain. On the bed my eye went straight to it, in the laundry room it was an enigma. I knew where it was so stood in there with murphy's law spinning it around and around to try to find it again.
We have someone coming here on Tues after staying in your city. We would love to come visit...we will make sure we schedule it in.
Here is a new video on our website and blog - let me try to embed, if not I will paste the url - speakers on...
try this link
Water Temperature in July is a warm and beautiful 84 degrees - NO SHARKS!

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Issue I had was this quilt has red roses and embroidery all over it, and the stain was a small blood stain. On the bed my eye went straight to it, in the laundry room it was an enigma. I knew where it was so stood in there with murphy's law spinning it around and around to try to find it again.
We have someone coming here on Tues after staying in your city. We would love to come visit...we will make sure we schedule it in.
Here is a new video on our website and blog - let me try to embed, if not I will paste the url - speakers on...
try this link
[/quote]
try this link
[/quote]
That was really pretty! I want to go get out on that lake on the paddleboat and then go listen to some Bluegrass!!!!
Riki

One housekeepr from long ago used to tie a knot in the sheet right where the stain was. Not only did it let me know WHICH sheet(s) but where to look for the stain.
However, better idea is a small spray bottle of whatever your stain remover of choice is, carried with you in the cleaning bucket. Sprtiz the dang thig right on the bed where you can see it!

One housekeepr from long ago used to tie a knot in the sheet right where the stain was. Not only did it let me know WHICH sheet(s) but where to look for the stain.
However, better idea is a small spray bottle of whatever your stain remover of choice is, carried with you in the cleaning bucket. Sprtiz the dang thig right on the bed where you can see it!.
Bree said:
However, better idea is a small spray bottle of whatever your stain remover of choice is, carried with you in the cleaning bucket. Sprtiz the dang thig right on the bed where you can see it!
But if you have 6+ sets of sheets AND some blankets and/or quilts with a stain on thenm and robes and towels to wash...I am not going to spray it and have to hit that first, I have to get the wet and damp towels washed which usually takes all day to get through that or they smell like (as Ginocat once said) pee. Nothing worse than damp towels lying around, gag.
barf.gif

You all are better at this than me, I have my methodology to stripping rooms and I just want to get it done and into the washer asap.

However, better idea is a small spray bottle of whatever your stain remover of choice is, carried with you in the cleaning bucket. Sprtiz the dang thig right on the bed where you can see it!.
Bree said:
But if you have 6+ sets of sheets AND some blankets and/or quilts with a stain on thenm and robes and towels to wash...I am not going to spray it and have to hit that first, I have to get the wet and damp towels washed which usually takes all day to get through that or they smell like (as Ginocat once said) pee. Nothing worse than damp towels lying around, gag.
barf.gif

You all are better at this than me, I have my methodology to stripping rooms and I just want to get it done and into the washer asap.
Somedays 11 sets of sheets! So, for me in the laundry room and her stripping beds, it was easier for her to tie the knot so I knew which sheets once I got to them.
Now that it's me stripping beds, it's easier to grab the spray bottle (admitting right here that I do not EVER carry it with me!) and go back to the room and spray the stain in situ.
Hubs does the towels. I don't know what his procedure is.
We run 2 washers & 3 dryers for a good part of the day. But the towels are always done way before the sheets! It goes faster when there are 2 dryers to put the wet towels into.

What stain removers do you like best? Zout seems to get the stains out really well for me. I spray all the stains and let it sit until I am ready to start a load and haven't had a problem. I only have one washer and dryer so it takes 8 hours or longer to to do the laundry. I'm opening a laundromat a few blocks away so I am really excited about how quickly the laundry will be done with the big commerical equipment!

What stain removers do you like best? Zout seems to get the stains out really well for me. I spray all the stains and let it sit until I am ready to start a load and haven't had a problem. I only have one washer and dryer so it takes 8 hours or longer to to do the laundry. I'm opening a laundromat a few blocks away so I am really excited about how quickly the laundry will be done with the big commerical equipment!.
oceans said:
What stain removers do you like best? Zout seems to get the stains out really well for me. I spray all the stains and let it sit until I am ready to start a load and haven't had a problem. I only have one washer and dryer so it takes 8 hours or longer to to do the laundry. I'm opening a laundromat a few blocks away so I am really excited about how quickly the laundry will be done with the big commerical equipment!
Be careful with the big dryers. I had them scorch robes and blankets BADLY. I put them on low heat, and removed them promptly like warned. I had to give them away to saint vinnies. This was when my washer was out of commish for nearly 2 months - wanna see an innkeeper go insane...have her wait for a part to repair her washer for 2 months. It literally took the whole family to haul guest laundry over and into the laudromat and back, it was not good. The towels never seemed like they got clean either.

What stain removers do you like best? Zout seems to get the stains out really well for me. I spray all the stains and let it sit until I am ready to start a load and haven't had a problem. I only have one washer and dryer so it takes 8 hours or longer to to do the laundry. I'm opening a laundromat a few blocks away so I am really excited about how quickly the laundry will be done with the big commerical equipment!.
oceans said:
Be careful with the big dryers. I had them scorch robes and blankets BADLY. I put them on low heat, and removed them promptly like warned. I had to give them away to saint vinnies. This was when my washer was out of commish for nearly 2 months - wanna see an innkeeper go insane...have her wait for a part to repair her washer for 2 months. It literally took the whole family to haul guest laundry over and into the laudromat and back, it was not good. The towels never seemed like they got clean either.
Wait, isn't that MY story from last summer? The same week as sir wets a lot? Only I had to haul all the stinking laundry myself (bedding- the towel washer & dryer still worked).
I started to look forward to it, tho. 2 hours out of the house. No phones!

oceans said:
Wait, isn't that MY story from last summer? The same week as sir wets a lot? Only I had to haul all the stinking laundry myself (bedding- the towel washer & dryer still worked).
Bree said:
Maybe I never let on how I wanted to strangle someone during that time. Nahhhh you guys know me pretty well. Let me tell you my entire family suffered over that - STUPID SEARS Master Protection Agreement!!!!! Sure they will repair it but you have to wait for parts. Oh and there is a clause about paying you back if you had to use another washer/dryer. For some reason the self service laundromat was out of RPTS when I was there!

Our cleaning staff just started to use clothespins on stains and they are a saviour to me when I am in the cramped laundry room without enough room to hardly open a sheet or blanket. They used to tie knots, but then it takes time to untie and even then if the stain is tiny, hard to find. Putting a clothespin directly on the spot works out awesome. I'm sure carrying around a bottle of shout would also help, but we use 3+ different stain treaters depending on the kind of stain, and our cleaning totes are already full to capacity.

oceans said:
Speaking of dryers....
Conversation last night: The dryer died. How do you know? Uh, I heard it making a funny noise and opened the door to stop it and when I tried to start it again, it didn't. What kind of noise? (I have guests in house so am not going to screech) I cannot describe it. What did it sound like? Uh, I just said I cannot describe it. Well be that way!!
So now I get the "fun" of looking for another dryer. This one dates to 1995. I am OK as long as I do not have too many days of rain in a row since I hang on the line but will have to do something by winter.

Back