Deterring the "Hotel" mentality

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been thinking about this whole 'hotel' mentality type guests that we've been getting, which is very weird and unusual for us. We don't usually have the crazy kind of guests that most of you talk about. The B&B crowd is usually so different and WONDERFUL!
I checked the prices at the hotel just down the street and they are significantly higher. I guess its been a while since I compared rates! Usually we are pretty close. They don't offer a fabulous breakfast, or wonderful parlor to sit in, or an incredible garden! Their weekday rates (Sun-Thurs) are lower $99 for most rooms.But weekends are much higher.
So I think we should RAISE our rates (wish I would have for June - we have had the best June ever - maybe the lower rates are why), and lower them for midweek, and offer Senior Discounts (we love the seniors we get!)! I think it would deter the 'hotel' mentality type and also those who can't really afford it (like current guests).
What do you think??

I think you are on the right track EXCEPT the Senior Discount. Most of the seniors who go to a B & B have more money than we do. I would have too if I had not had this silly idea to be an innkeeper - no regrets but the retirement went into the "pit" (my inheritance too).

If you are full, time to raise rates. If you are getting the hotel crowd, time to raise rates.
But, why are you offering seniors a special rate? Discounts are offered when it encourages a type of customer who comes at a time that is beneficial to you. For example, if you low time is during the weekday and seniors travel during the weekday, then you offer them a discount during the weekdays. If they are just lowering your income for the weekend when you would sell to someone else at full price, then don't discount for those days. Discounts are a way to get someone to help fill your rooms so you can earn more, not a way to earn less.

If you are full, time to raise rates. If you are getting the hotel crowd, time to raise rates.
But, why are you offering seniors a special rate? Discounts are offered when it encourages a type of customer who comes at a time that is beneficial to you. For example, if you low time is during the weekday and seniors travel during the weekday, then you offer them a discount during the weekdays. If they are just lowering your income for the weekend when you would sell to someone else at full price, then don't discount for those days. Discounts are a way to get someone to help fill your rooms so you can earn more, not a way to earn less..
yes, you are right. I'm just frustrated right now and don't do my best thinking when I am frustrated.
I love having seniors here. and yes, as Gillum said they probably have more $$ than any one. Thats the crowd I want here.
I will only offer senior discounts for weekday stays because now that you mention it, it makes sense!

I think you are on the right track EXCEPT the Senior Discount. Most of the seniors who go to a B & B have more money than we do. I would have too if I had not had this silly idea to be an innkeeper - no regrets but the retirement went into the "pit" (my inheritance too)..
TRUTH!!! LOL! We all can relate I think!

But, why are you offering seniors a special rate? Discounts are offered when it encourages a type of customer who comes at a time that is beneficial to you. For example, if you low time is during the weekday and seniors travel during the weekday, then you offer them a discount during the weekdays. If they are just lowering your income for the weekend when you would sell to someone else at full price, then don't discount for those days. Discounts are a way to get someone to help fill your rooms so you can earn more, not a way to earn less..
yes, you are right. I'm just frustrated right now and don't do my best thinking when I am frustrated.
I love having seniors here. and yes, as Gillum said they probably have more $$ than any one. Thats the crowd I want here.
I will only offer senior discounts for weekday stays because now that you mention it, it makes sense!
It's one of the reasons I don't offer a AAA/CAA/DAA discount... if they can afford the car and the membership, they can afford my full rates :)

OK, raised my weekend rates! Kept mid week rates the same (still higher than the hotel down the street) except offering a senior discount mid week. (I really do prefer senior guests - they are the nicest, and most considerate guests we ever get!).

I think you are on the right track EXCEPT the Senior Discount. Most of the seniors who go to a B & B have more money than we do. I would have too if I had not had this silly idea to be an innkeeper - no regrets but the retirement went into the "pit" (my inheritance too)..
gillumhouse said:
I think you are on the right track EXCEPT the Senior Discount. Most of the seniors who go to a B & B have more money than we do. I would have too if I had not had this silly idea to be an innkeeper - no regrets but the retirement went into the "pit" (my inheritance too).
I agree with that! lol We don't do a blanket senior discount but a discount if someone asks if we have an AARP discount.

gillumhouse said:
I agree with that! lol We don't do a blanket senior discount but a discount if someone asks if we have an AARP discount.
dotsbythesea said:
gillumhouse said:
That's anyone over 50. That's 85% of my market. I'd have to raise rates! ;-)

gillumhouse said:
I get asked about the AARP discount and tell them sorry, no. The only discounts I do are military, cops, and firemen and I have a bereavement rate for funerals.

gillumhouse said:
I get asked about the AARP discount and tell them sorry, no. The only discounts I do are military, cops, and firemen and I have a bereavement rate for funerals.
gillumhouse said:
We only do AAA, AARP and Military. AAA and AARP we just do $5 off per night and Military discount is $10 off per night. Just flat rates. Never a % of the total.

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
We only do AAA, AARP and Military. AAA and AARP we just do $5 off per night and Military discount is $10 off per night. Just flat rates. Never a % of the total.
I do 15% for the discount (room only - not on packages and elopements) and we have an $80 bereavement rate. Funerals usually are not planned, although we have had a couple of them (Memorial Day weekend we had whole house for 2 nights to finally bury Mom who died 3 years go).

OK, raised my weekend rates! Kept mid week rates the same (still higher than the hotel down the street) except offering a senior discount mid week. (I really do prefer senior guests - they are the nicest, and most considerate guests we ever get!)..
I enjoy our senior guests as well for the same reasons, guests that make the work fun and easy are worth more than the extra dollars.

It's one of the reasons I don't offer a AAA/CAA/DAA discount... if they can afford the car and the membership, they can afford my full rates :)
Generic said:
I have AAA and a beat up old car. AAA is to help me out when my car breaks down! Just sayin'

Generic said:
I have AAA and a beat up old car. AAA is to help me out when my car breaks down! Just sayin'
seashanty said:
Generic said:
But you were an innkeeper. 'xsplenation.

gillumhouse said:
dotsbythesea said:
gillumhouse said:
/quote]
[/quote]
I specified on my website age 65 and older

Uh, not so enjoying the senior guests at the moment. mm hm (that was a Billy Bob Thornton mm hm, soundbite here)

Uh, not so enjoying the senior guests at the moment. mm hm (that was a Billy Bob Thornton mm hm, soundbite here)

Back