Did you just call me a motel??????

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
email this morning:
"I just got my credit card statement and saw that you had charged me for my reservation which isn't till end of July. I saw that you had a cancellation policy. I've never had to pay two months in advance for a reservation at a motel. Is this how you work?"
Signed with all his awards and website info. vip, I guess. Booked our cheapest room for one night.
In our response, we explained we are not a motel, we are a small business B&B home. July is our busiest month and we can't hold a room without a deposit. If he would like to cancel, we will waive the cancellation fee.
(as of now, no response.)

Begin snark.
With all those letters and degrees after your name, it's a shame you never learned to read.
End snark.
Did he book online? Is it very clear that a deposit is taken? If he booked on the phone was it made clear to him?
BTW, given the email, he was planning to cancel when he found a hotel with a vacancy .

Begin snark.
With all those letters and degrees after your name, it's a shame you never learned to read.
End snark.
Did he book online? Is it very clear that a deposit is taken? If he booked on the phone was it made clear to him?
BTW, given the email, he was planning to cancel when he found a hotel with a vacancy ..
Morticia said:
Begin snark.
End snark.
BTW, given the email, he was planning to cancel when he found a hotel with a vacancy .
He booked on line and received an email receipt right away. So no excuses. But I agree, he was holding the room until he got a 'better offer.'
DH wants him to cancel. It's our 'down the hall' room and we just already know he won't be happy with that.

Begin snark.
End snark.
BTW, given the email, he was planning to cancel when he found a hotel with a vacancy ..
also, 'giggle' at the snark.
I'm still impressed with all his awards! I'll make my special coffee cake.

Begin snark.
End snark.
Morticia said:
Begin snark.
End snark.
He booked on line and received an email receipt right away. So no excuses. But I agree, he was holding the room until he got a 'better offer.'
DH wants him to cancel. It's our 'down the hall' room and we just already know he won't be happy with that.
Waiting? I would have simply said something like....

I'm sorry that you didn't realize that there was a deposit involved in your reservation and a cancellation policy. So, we have refunded your money and cancelled your reservation as a one-time gesture of good faith that will not be repeated. If you want to reserve again, please feel free to do so, but we will uphold our written policies as stated on our website. Please note that availability and price are subject to change at any time.
This way, the ball is entirely in his court. He has his money and can run. But he has to take action to keep it. And you can rent it to some nicer people.

Begin snark.
End snark.
Morticia said:
Begin snark.
End snark.
You could upgrade him to another room and win him over to the B&B side! What a pity that an educated man with so many awards didn't take a B&B vs Hotel course. It would save him lots of money in the end since our amenities don't have price tags since they are complimentary and come with the room.

Begin snark.
End snark.
Morticia said:
Begin snark.
End snark.
Waiting? I would have simply said something like....

I'm sorry that you didn't realize that there was a deposit involved in your reservation and a cancellation policy. So, we have refunded your money and cancelled your reservation as a one-time gesture of good faith that will not be repeated. If you want to reserve again, please feel free to do so, but we will uphold our written policies as stated on our website. Please note that availability and price are subject to change at any time.
This way, the ball is entirely in his court. He has his money and can run. But he has to take action to keep it. And you can rent it to some nicer people.
I like this. Wish we'd thought of it this morning at 6 AM.
But my brain doesn't really function that early. :)
I sent your response to DH. Next time, we'll be ready.

TheBeachHouse said:
email this morning:
"I just got my credit card statement and saw that you had charged me for my reservation which isn't till end of July. I saw that you had a cancellation policy. I've never had to pay two months in advance for a reservation at a motel. Is this how you work?"
Also, he's full of crap. There are literally thousands of hotels and motels that now charge a single night deposit for any reservation, and a pay-in-full-in-advance for a lower, nonrefundable rate. He expected different at a smaller place - his stupid.

Begin snark.
End snark.
Morticia said:
Begin snark.
End snark.
You could upgrade him to another room and win him over to the B&B side! What a pity that an educated man with so many awards didn't take a B&B vs Hotel course. It would save him lots of money in the end since our amenities don't have price tags since they are complimentary and come with the room.
Someone conceited enough to use awards & letters behind his name for a personal rez would see that upgrade as his due. Never. He obviously considered this to be a placeholder that would be better than nothing (his e-mail shows that condescension) and had no intention of parting with any money to do it.

Conclusion. The guest opted to keep his reservation.
I will update you in late July!

TheBeachHouse said:
email this morning:
Also, he's full of crap. There are literally thousands of hotels and motels that now charge a single night deposit for any reservation, and a pay-in-full-in-advance for a lower, nonrefundable rate. He expected different at a smaller place - his stupid..
muirford said:
Also, he's full of crap. There are literally thousands of hotels and motels that now charge a single night deposit for any reservation, and a pay-in-full-in-advance for a lower, nonrefundable rate. He expected different at a smaller place - his stupid.
Agreed

TheBeachHouse said:
email this morning:
Also, he's full of crap. There are literally thousands of hotels and motels that now charge a single night deposit for any reservation, and a pay-in-full-in-advance for a lower, nonrefundable rate. He expected different at a smaller place - his stupid..
muirford said:
But how many people tell me that all the time? "I NEVER pay in advance. NEVER. EVER. ANYWHERE."
It's ok if you decide you don't want to stay here. I recommend other places that don't require deposits.

Back