Dies a Thousand Deaths

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I have an extremely embarassing situation coming up this weekend and need advice.
A guest who has been with me many times is coming for a 2 night stay this weekend. The problem is he snores. Not just merely snores, but snores like a freight train. You can hear him throughout the house. I am booked solid this weekend and I am concerned that his snoring will impact the guests in the adjacent rooms especially. I don't know what I can do if anything, other than handing out ear plugs (I'm kidding...or not?) Thoughts?
I am mortified in advance.

In my little "toiletry nook", I have a big jar of foam earplugs, and people take them more than I expected. However, in this instance, I think I would try to head the problem off ahead of time, instead of hoping other guests find the earplugs and use them.
I would contact the guest in advance (or his wife) and express your concerns. Ask him if he has ever tried Breathe Right strips or whatever. If he has had luck with them, maybe you can pick some up.
Good Luck FD

FD, I wish I had good sound advise from experience but do not. Personally I would not contact the guest. You could place the earplugs in the rooms on the nightstand with a little note. Come up with a little cute saying.
I do feel for you. We had a group stay here once that one guy was a window rattling snorer... no one slept those nights - well except the SNORER
cry_smile.gif
Thank goodness they all knew him and we had no other guests.

FD, I wish I had good sound advise from experience but do not. Personally I would not contact the guest. You could place the earplugs in the rooms on the nightstand with a little note. Come up with a little cute saying.
I do feel for you. We had a group stay here once that one guy was a window rattling snorer... no one slept those nights - well except the SNORER
cry_smile.gif
Thank goodness they all knew him and we had no other guests..
I wish I had good sound advise...
Punny, very punny ;)

Do you have fans or white noise machines in your rooms? If not, now might be the time to invest in them...
Good luck!
confused_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

Do you have fans or white noise machines in your rooms? If not, now might be the time to invest in them...
Good luck!
confused_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
YS, if her snorer is anything like the one we had here, he will drowned out those things. I am serious! The guy here was so loud my windows would rattle! We added lots of sound insulation between our walls and floors but this did not stop the sound. I will never forget that noise and this was a good 8 years ago.

If he has been there many times before.....was the house empty the other times. Why do you feel a need to do something now?
I am sorry but if you knew he snored like this and you fear interruption to other guests...why did you book them again????
It is his problem...but now, You have made it yours.
I don't think t here is anything you can do about it....really....... To interefere I think would be rude at this point.

If he has been there many times before.....was the house empty the other times. Why do you feel a need to do something now?
I am sorry but if you knew he snored like this and you fear interruption to other guests...why did you book them again????
I don't think t here is anything you can do about it....really....... To interefere I think would be rude at this point..
catlady said:
I don't think t here is anything you can do about it....really....... To interefere I think would be rude at this point.
He was in a cottage on his last stay and on previous stays he had been here mid week when we had a little elbow room. I booked him again because he knows one of the senior partners and turning him away was not an option.

Good luck!
confused_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Good luck!
confused_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
White noise machines - good idea!!!
RIki

I don't think t here is anything you can do about it....really....... To interefere I think would be rude at this point..
catlady said:
He was in a cottage on his last stay and on previous stays he had been here mid week when we had a little elbow room. I booked him again because he knows one of the senior partners and turning him away was not an option.
Too bad you can't put him out in the cottage? ANy way you can rearrange things??? IF not, have some earplugs in the bedside table of the next door room:)
Other than that I doubt there is much to be done. White noise machines won't drown out a real snorer...I know...I lived with my father for 21 years....his snoring could wake the dead:)

I admit if I had to wear earplugs and PAY for it I would be ticked off.
We had one guest we could hear through the floor (our ceiling). We normally can't even hear talking from up there.
This is one reason I believe every room should have a tv, even if it is the weather channel or turner classic movies on low it would really help.

I admit if I had to wear earplugs and PAY for it I would be ticked off.
We had one guest we could hear through the floor (our ceiling). We normally can't even hear talking from up there.
This is one reason I believe every room should have a tv, even if it is the weather channel or turner classic movies on low it would really help..
Well, the innkeeper cannot be responsible for the noises emitted by guests whether by snoring or any other means if you get my drift:)
There have been many times when next door sounds kept me awake, but we paid....not the innkeeper's fault.
I always travel with earplugs of my own because I am so sound sensitive. They help a bit, but agree it is an inconvenience to wear them and sometime even they don't help. Maybe she could put a couple of sleeping pills on the bedside table....JUST JOKING!!!!!

I am trying to think up a scheme to move him to the cottage. Unfortuantely I am completely booked. I need to formulate a game plan or a white lie to swap rooms.

I am trying to think up a scheme to move him to the cottage. Unfortuantely I am completely booked. I need to formulate a game plan or a white lie to swap rooms..
If it is as bad as you say....I'd come up with a white lie and get him out in the cottage some way:)

I'm one of those who is very sensitive to noise and cannot sleep with anyone who makes the least bit of noise while sleeping...probably explains why I've never married...but anyway, I keep fans in every room just in case there is someone onboard like me. Heck, I can't even stand the noise of the water lapping against the hull side - something that puts many people right to sleep. I can sleep with a "constant" noise such as the generator or my fan. The fan in my room runs 24/7, mostly to drown out the sound of the AC coming on and off. On the other hand, no one can sneak up on me! I wake up even when a bird lands on the railing.
So, perhaps you can put ear plugs in the room along with the bathroom ammenities so they don't look "planted", and equip each room with a fan or two. If your other guests are bothered, they can then try to drown out the noise that bothers them. Gotta wonder, how many of those other guests also snore themselves?

I'm one of those who is very sensitive to noise and cannot sleep with anyone who makes the least bit of noise while sleeping...probably explains why I've never married...but anyway, I keep fans in every room just in case there is someone onboard like me. Heck, I can't even stand the noise of the water lapping against the hull side - something that puts many people right to sleep. I can sleep with a "constant" noise such as the generator or my fan. The fan in my room runs 24/7, mostly to drown out the sound of the AC coming on and off. On the other hand, no one can sneak up on me! I wake up even when a bird lands on the railing.
So, perhaps you can put ear plugs in the room along with the bathroom ammenities so they don't look "planted", and equip each room with a fan or two. If your other guests are bothered, they can then try to drown out the noise that bothers them. Gotta wonder, how many of those other guests also snore themselves?.
We had a group of guests here recently who travel extensively and they were talking about "pink noise" machines. Any one heard about those?
I have ear plugs, fans, TVs, and some kind of radio (CD player or iPod) in all the rooms. You do what you can....

So, perhaps you can put ear plugs in the room along with the bathroom ammenities so they don't look "planted", and equip each room with a fan or two. If your other guests are bothered, they can then try to drown out the noise that bothers them. Gotta wonder, how many of those other guests also snore themselves?.
We had a group of guests here recently who travel extensively and they were talking about "pink noise" machines. Any one heard about those?
I have ear plugs, fans, TVs, and some kind of radio (CD player or iPod) in all the rooms. You do what you can....

yes.
first about the snorer ... i had the most awesome repeat guest who snored so loud it was a worry. no one complained. i was so grateful they didn't because you could hear him in the hallways. i did put little disposable ear plugs in rooms and left them there when he first stayed and i heard him. there were also fans in the rooms. i don't like the feel of plugs in my ears. so it is an issue.
i would never think of asking him not to return. he came every year, stayed eight nights. but if i'd had a cottage for him, i would surely hope to put him there.
i myself sleep with a fan up so high that it might drive others crazy. i need that whooshing sound.
i googled the white and pink noise and it has something to do with the signal. very techinical ...

Back