Dietary Restrictions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtatoc

Reaction score
When you take a reservation, do you ask if there are any dietary restrictions? This is not a question for large inns that put out a selection of breakfast foods.....only for those who plate and serve. Do you just plate it and hope they are not gluten or dairy, or whatever?

We ask at time of reservation both verbally and if they book online. It's a question that pops up on the form. We ask when they walk in the door. That doesn't stop us finding notes taped to the fridge saying they want this instead of that.
Started off with 2 GF guests this weekend. Increased to 4 GF guests at check in. Every single GF guest ate scones and biscuits. Then demanded we serve them eggs instead of pancakes. (2 of them were given GF gifts by family members as they sat chowing down wheat pancakes.)
I don't think it matters if you ask or not. You still get guests who make requests at the last minute.

Our reservation software has a notes section and guests typically list allergies there. We also ask at check-in - it's so much better to know ahead of time than at the last minute.

We ask at time of reservation both verbally and if they book online. It's a question that pops up on the form. We ask when they walk in the door. That doesn't stop us finding notes taped to the fridge saying they want this instead of that.
Started off with 2 GF guests this weekend. Increased to 4 GF guests at check in. Every single GF guest ate scones and biscuits. Then demanded we serve them eggs instead of pancakes. (2 of them were given GF gifts by family members as they sat chowing down wheat pancakes.)
I don't think it matters if you ask or not. You still get guests who make requests at the last minute..
How many of yours seem to think that GF is healthier? Do you correct anyone? "Oh, dear. That has wheat and can get you sick! We wouldn't want you to get sick, dear!"

Echo everyone else. Question about food allergies/restrictions/preferences is on the online form. I also ask telephone bookers, and reply to Air bookings with same question. Better to know in advance. Really less trouble that way. And often appreciated.

All of them. They all say it's healthier, they feel better, gluten is evil. I tell them they should travel to the Mediterranean where food isn't messed about with the way it is here. OR, start writing letters that they want pure foods instead of industrially grown junk. Then I feed them over=processed gf foodstuffs.

All of them. They all say it's healthier, they feel better, gluten is evil. I tell them they should travel to the Mediterranean where food isn't messed about with the way it is here. OR, start writing letters that they want pure foods instead of industrially grown junk. Then I feed them over=processed gf foodstuffs..
Worst part is, it's not healthier. But ask a GF person, they all crave croissants, breads, etc. But we treat most of them like Celiacs, point out that they can't eat the stuff with gluten, etc. I have never had one take gluten foods in front of me.

It's part of being prepared. The have the option to respond on three different occasions. In reply to the confirmation which asks them to tell us, in reply to the pre-arrival, and finally in person at check-in. Since we are branded for locally sourced customizable food, we are ready to roll even if they inform us at check-in. We expect that will happen since many people honestly forget. We have had dozens of guests thank us for being so helpful with their unique diet. We have had hundreds of people thank us for providing a well-balanced healthy meal while they are traveling.
If you are plating and serving on the odd chance there are no restrictions, you're living in a bygone era. Crazes and fads come and go, but the trend of guests trying to eat better on the road is only going to widen into all the price points over time.

I don't think it matters if you ask or not. You still get guests who make requests at the last minute..
Per the discussion a week or so ago, weaning out common triggers such as allergens, glutens, in combination with offering several choices should reduce the problem.
I read like 1% have a gluten issue, 6% have the nongluten issue with wheat, and some people are allergic to wheat. And some have no problems but still seem to want gluten free. So it seems like reducing the importance of wheat going forward is the easier choice.
Soda comes to mind. Some prefer uncaffeinated. Since there is caffeine free versions of Coke & Pepsi, it seems easier to just have that as the main cola.
But this topic is likely to keep arising ad nauseum. I m seeing that the combo of weeding out trigger foods and offering multiple choices needs to be a center element of what I do.

Yes we ask online when they make the reservation. That is all, we never ask again. But...if you allow 12 month ahead reservations I can guarantee lives change in that time frame, from surgeries, illnesses, medications to plain ol' diets.
Fruten glee today. They have whatever they all have just leave out the gluten product.

I ask on my online form, again when calling to get credit card info, and at that time also ask if there are any foods they do not eat. That question usually get liver & onions, brussels, and that ilk. In the Confirmation letter I e-mail, I state what they said about diet - including the smart ass liver & onions as be specified. I also ask about beverage of choice - if coffee I include the inn-house coffee list for them to choose from and delete it if they are tea. And I still get "surprises".

Made it through our 5 nighter with gluten and lactose allergies…she was a sweet girl who made a point to tell us at the time she reserved and then at check-in told us she was happy to make do with whatever. Did gluten free Bisquick pancakes which I made with unsweetened coconut/almond milk, she was over the moon and everyone else got our regular pancakes. She was an egg lover so several mornings were eggs with either bacon/sausage or the Udi's gluten free muffins. Yay!
For your original question, we ask on the reservation form and again in the confirmation, we don't ask at check in because by that point the menu is set.

Per the discussion a week or so ago, weaning out common triggers such as allergens, glutens, in combination with offering several choices should reduce the problem.
I read like 1% have a gluten issue, 6% have the nongluten issue with wheat, and some people are allergic to wheat. And some have no problems but still seem to want gluten free. So it seems like reducing the importance of wheat going forward is the easier choice.
Soda comes to mind. Some prefer uncaffeinated. Since there is caffeine free versions of Coke & Pepsi, it seems easier to just have that as the main cola.
But this topic is likely to keep arising ad nauseum. I m seeing that the combo of weeding out trigger foods and offering multiple choices needs to be a center element of what I do.
You're discussing all of this with your wife, right? I think you said earlier that she will be the innkeeper while you keep your day job.
She's the one who needs to be prepared with the breakfast menu and ready to cook what the guests want.
If we had a short order cook on staff life would be so much easier.
And if guests with self-imposed restrictions didn't rub my nose in their obvious choice to eat what they damn well feel like it, when they feel like it, I'd be so much more open to fad diets.
As it is, I serve a typical breakfast for my location. Like happy serves the typical breakfast for his location. Like everyone serves the typical breakfast for their location.
I don't think serving an atypical breakfast would garner any brownie points. Too many of our guests have thanked us for not serving something they didn't recognize or was covered with sauce or spices they'd never heard of.
Someone else mentioned the 'don't like eggs' thing. Guests who won't eat eggs that look like eggs. But will happily eat eggs if they can't pick out their essential eggyness.
It's really too much to keep track of. ;-)

We cannot be all things to all people. There is not enough space in my freezer or refrigerator nor in my pantry to store all the latest fads that can be very expensive and go to waste for lack of use. I serve ample and filling and I do not use cheap ingredients. AND I set the table in a manner that feeds the eye as well as the food feeds the stomach. People are here for 1 or 2 nights - if diets is that important so what himself does when we travel - bring your own. He would NEVER expect an innkeeper to serve what he has for breakfast to maintain his health (not a fad)
Tonight I am serving a dinner. The main course is venison medallions. Himself asked if I asked the guests. NO, it is what I had and it is what I am serving. If they do not want to eat it, fine. There will be ample salad (only one couple has ever emptied the cut glass salad bowl I use), side dishes, rolls and dessert to fill them up.

You're discussing all of this with your wife, right? I think you said earlier that she will be the innkeeper while you keep your day job.
She's the one who needs to be prepared with the breakfast menu and ready to cook what the guests want.
And if guests with self-imposed restrictions didn't rub my nose in their obvious choice to eat what they damn well feel like it, when they feel like it, I'd be so much more open to fad diets.
As it is, I serve a typical breakfast for my location. Like happy serves the typical breakfast for his location. Like everyone serves the typical breakfast for their location.
I don't think serving an atypical breakfast would garner any brownie points. Too many of our guests have thanked us for not serving something they didn't recognize or was covered with sauce or spices they'd never heard of.
Someone else mentioned the 'don't like eggs' thing. Guests who won't eat eggs that look like eggs. But will happily eat eggs if they can't pick out their essential eggyness.
Obviously we will discuss. But I am mostly the one trying to filter a lot of issues and ideas into a basic starter set.
There is so much discussion about dietary issues and the energy expended trying to determine who needs/likes/wants what, that I plan to free our menus of as much as possible.
There are 11 gluten free grains. Therefore, I can tell guests we are gluten-free.
There are a handful of foods that cause most allergic reactions and can be eliminated. Eggs and cow's milk are necessary. And since they are also a vegan issue, that means I need a reasonable substitute to each.
There are lists of the most hated foods, so will try and take cues from this. Top 10 in a mens mag included broccoli, spinach and eggplant, so will try to factor these out.

Obviously we will discuss. But I am mostly the one trying to filter a lot of issues and ideas into a basic starter set.
There is so much discussion about dietary issues and the energy expended trying to determine who needs/likes/wants what, that I plan to free our menus of as much as possible.
There are 11 gluten free grains. Therefore, I can tell guests we are gluten-free.
There are a handful of foods that cause most allergic reactions and can be eliminated. Eggs and cow's milk are necessary. And since they are also a vegan issue, that means I need a reasonable substitute to each.
There are lists of the most hated foods, so will try and take cues from this. Top 10 in a mens mag included broccoli, spinach and eggplant, so will try to factor these out.
I ask about spinach because I have a great spinach dish that has been raved about

We always ask the question, and our staff are trained to ask it the same way every time: "Do you have any food allergies, needs or preferences we should know about?" This covers everything from gluten allergies to veganism to not liking pineapple.

We always ask the question, and our staff are trained to ask it the same way every time: "Do you have any food allergies, needs or preferences we should know about?" This covers everything from gluten allergies to veganism to not liking pineapple..
thumbs_up.gif
These details are critical to guest management. If you are an aspiring innkeeper, these are the things worth paying extra attention to when you see them on the forum.

I speak to each guest when I take the reservation and have carefully worded my question about diet. "Do you have any dietary allergies? Nuts, dairy, gluten?" We do not jump through hoops for preferances and if a true Celiac wants a reservation I tell them that I can not guarantee that there will not be cross contamination, suggesting that they bring their own food or find a larger inn that can cater to their specific needs.
Upon check-in, DH asks again about food allergies.
We currently have a woman who does not like "eggs" but who will eat quiche, soufflé and the such. At booking I told her that it is near impossible for me to make a breakfast for a group of people without eggs, that we would do our best to try to meet her needs, and I suggested that she could always skip the hot entree and have the home-made yogurt and granola with fruit from the sideboard. In fact, she has cleaned her plate every morning with a smile. And I was not turned inside out trying to figure out if she would leave hungry.

Back