Differance between Bed and Breakfast and Inn's

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbill

Reaction score
Im often asked by Guest what the differance is between a Bed and Breakfast and an Inn. Since I call myself an Inn, I tell them that even tho I provide a breakfast 8:30 till 10:30 "serve self buffet style" . That Bed and Breakfast guest all sit at one certain time and are served. Is this wrong ?

Hi Mr Bill,
Welcome to the forum.
There are a few diff definitions, none of which are your answer given. INN is typically a larger B&B - even a staffed B&B. An Inn would be more than a typical sized B&B of 3 to 5 rooms.
There are B&B's on this forum who:
1) Serve breakfast to the rooms ONLY
2) Have mutliple tables for breakfast
3) Have mutliple seatings or breakfast times
4) Serve delivery to the room, on the patio, at a table or on the porch
5) Breakfast can be a gourmet meal, deluxe continental, country fried, full hot breakfast, buffet, etc
Traditional definitions would be a B&B is an OWNER-OCCUPIED lodging establishment. Typically a B&B is in a residential neighborhood or rural - not commercial disctrict (altho that is the sometimes the case). But rule of thumb is the owners of the residence operate the business and interact with the guests - whether at one table or multiple.

Hi Mr Bill,
Welcome to the forum.
There are a few diff definitions, none of which are your answer given. INN is typically a larger B&B - even a staffed B&B. An Inn would be more than a typical sized B&B of 3 to 5 rooms.
There are B&B's on this forum who:
1) Serve breakfast to the rooms ONLY
2) Have mutliple tables for breakfast
3) Have mutliple seatings or breakfast times
4) Serve delivery to the room, on the patio, at a table or on the porch
5) Breakfast can be a gourmet meal, deluxe continental, country fried, full hot breakfast, buffet, etc
Traditional definitions would be a B&B is an OWNER-OCCUPIED lodging establishment. Typically a B&B is in a residential neighborhood or rural - not commercial disctrict (altho that is the sometimes the case). But rule of thumb is the owners of the residence operate the business and interact with the guests - whether at one table or multiple..
Hi Junie,
Thanks for the insight! I had no idea it was based on size. We have had the place for 5 years,it was built 8 years ago to be what it is. Guess i am right on calling it an Inn , we have 15 guest rooms and also have my home attached.
Now I know what to say if Im asked again. And I will be

In many locations it is a legal definition. Example: in NY, a B&B is limited to no more than 5 guest rooms where inns can have more. In some locations inns need a commercial kitchen and B&B's might not. Fire codes for the two definitions are also different. In other loctions the terms are legally the same.
However, the legal defninition may not always translate to the official name. I know several B&B's (in legal terms) that use the word "inn" in the name

YES! And B&B's are not always historic homes, they can be cabins or new structures.
wink_smile.gif

PS Mr Bill there is a major typo on your header. If you look at the name of this forum you will see what I mean (although we have the addtl N)

Hi, Mr. Bill!
welcome.gif
You can go to the PAII website and see how they differentiate a B&B and an inn. Like Swirt said, many of us that are smaller lodging properties do use both terms in our name (helps with searches, we hope!). As a traveler, I always considered an inn to be larger and involve a few staff, so if you have 15 rooms and hire staff, you definitely fit the general perception of an "inn". Welcome to the forum!

YES! And B&B's are not always historic homes, they can be cabins or new structures.
wink_smile.gif

PS Mr Bill there is a major typo on your header. If you look at the name of this forum you will see what I mean (although we have the addtl N).
Not getting what you mean "typo" where?

Welcome to the Forum.
I am a small owner occupied (3 rooms) and I serve breakfast at the time the guests request - sometimes 3 different times. I am a B & B but do use the terms interchangably when speaking or writing about them. JBJ gave an excellent explanation of the real difference.

wink_smile.gif

PS Mr Bill there is a major typo on your header. If you look at the name of this forum you will see what I mean (although we have the addtl N).
On your website - I think you're "inspiring" not "inspring" vistas :)
btw - You are in one of my favorite areas. One of our guest suites is actually named after the town where the music hall is. We lived in Austin for 8 years. Love the Hill Country!!!

wink_smile.gif

mrbill said:
"Inspring vistas..." s/b inspiring?

wink_smile.gif

mrbill said:
ahhh yes..5 years and not a person has mentioned it . Good eye. Thanks!

Generally, a B&B only serves breakfast and an Inn serves other meals as well. It may also have to do with the size of the property...B&B's tend to have fewer rooms (under 7), inns tend to have more (over 10). (Which leaves that nebulous area of the B&B/Inn with 8 or 9 rooms.)
The original owners here called this an 'Inn'. We're really a B&B.

Generally, a B&B only serves breakfast and an Inn serves other meals as well. It may also have to do with the size of the property...B&B's tend to have fewer rooms (under 7), inns tend to have more (over 10). (Which leaves that nebulous area of the B&B/Inn with 8 or 9 rooms.)
The original owners here called this an 'Inn'. We're really a B&B..
Bree said:
The last I read according to our state we are an INN with more than 4 rooms, I can't recall I think El posted it.

The original owners here called this an 'Inn'. We're really a B&B..
Bree said:
The last I read according to our state we are an INN with more than 4 rooms, I can't recall I think El posted it.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Yeah, I posted first and read later...Swirt has it right...it depends on where you live. Where I am, a B&B can be no more than 7 rooms (that is strictly in my town, not in any other part of the state), after that, it needs a commercial kitchen and falls under a completely different set of guidelines.

wink_smile.gif

mrbill said:
Mr. Bill, I guess that no one has said anything about some typos on your Special Events page either :) I think you have "partitions" not "petitions" on your decks and that you have an open air deck, not "desk". It might be difficult to put a whole bunch of people on a desk. tee hee....
We innkeepers notice the details....

wink_smile.gif

mrbill said:
Mr. Bill, I guess that no one has said anything about some typos on your Special Events page either :) I think you have "partitions" not "petitions" on your decks and that you have an open air deck, not "desk". It might be difficult to put a whole bunch of people on a desk. tee hee....
Thanks you guys !! NOW IM REALLY STUPID.major typos
help.gif

wink_smile.gif

mrbill said:
help.gif

mrbill said:
help.gif
You know, sometimes you just spend so much time looking at your own website you just don't see it anymore. This is sort of a combo innkeeper help forum/website review forum/all around what do I do now forum! We try not to point out typing errors on the forum here, but we do want to make sure everyone's guest info is error-free!
welcome.gif

wink_smile.gif

mrbill said:
help.gif

Sorry...didn't mean to make you feel stupid. Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees on our own sites when it comes to those kind of errors. If I had that view of your river though, that would be the header on every page of my web site
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

mrbill said:
help.gif

Sorry...didn't mean to make you feel stupid. Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees on our own sites when it comes to those kind of errors. If I had that view of your river though, that would be the header on every page of my web site
regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
You mean like our innkeeper friend in the New River Valley - I am sorry I am always referring to her for those with VIEW inns, but her brochure absolutely BLEW ME AWAY. Let me find it...
Here is her brochure - it is awesome (PDF format)
Here is her website

wink_smile.gif

mrbill said:
help.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
You mean like our innkeeper friend in the New River Valley - I am sorry I am always referring to her for those with VIEW inns, but her brochure absolutely BLEW ME AWAY. Let me find it...
Here is her brochure - it is awesome (PDF format)
Here is her website
Exactly!! Sitting out on that deck and looking at that view is outstanding! I have stayed there a few times luckily.....
The view here of the street isn't quite the same. yuk yuk!

Back