Different prices on different web sites

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTLLodge

Reaction score
Ok here is another question. (You guys are great!)
regular_smile.gif
There is just 1 bed and breakfast in the area I plan on doing mine. I was online looking at my competition and found them on 2 different directories, and also their web page. On each site their prices were different? Any ideal as to the reasoning behind that? Example: $52-$72 $57-62 $60-$85 Thanks!

Depends on the ages of the sites. The longer I'm in business, which so far is less than a year, the more websites I have to keep track of where my information is. I tried to put future prices, not present, when I signed up, but I don't even remember all the sites I'm on. Someday I'll be organized (this coming February, probably) and make a list of every site I know of, so that at least a couple of times a year I can go and make sure all is up to date.
=)
Kk.

On some sites, YOU submit the info, some other sites just "steal" it. Either way the prices are just a snapshot at an instant in time. Typically the sites that steal the info are the most out-dated. Mostly, it is like YellowSocks said, innkeepers just lose track of what is where. It becomes even more complicated if you vary your rate on a seasonal or week by week basis.

We are on so many websites. Always refer to the Inns website. That is the current and accurate info. None of the others will have perfect information. Some websites are not even authorized by the Innkeeper and take info off their site, then 3 years later, the same info is on there, but the real website has changed. Even changed owners, so MUCH info is inaccurate on those ones.
It really doesn't matter what the directories who, go to the Inns website. I wish more people would understand this.
Some directories do not allow the innkeepers to have control over their information. Beware of this. So you cannot go in and update when you need to.

The only valid site is the inn's own website. Some of those other directories just grab the info once and never look back. If it is a paid directory they are not keeping up (and I could be guilty here of being off by a couple of dollars on different sites) maybe there's not much competition, maybe they've lost interest.
I had a guest ask for my $89 room the other day. I asked where she found that. She told me and I went and looked. Apparently, the price had been hardcoded into a gif file and when I made my updates to that site, it didn't change them everywhere. My lowest price is $120, which it said on that site, but she wanted the other lowest price.
wink_smile.gif

The only valid site is the inn's own website. Some of those other directories just grab the info once and never look back. If it is a paid directory they are not keeping up (and I could be guilty here of being off by a couple of dollars on different sites) maybe there's not much competition, maybe they've lost interest.
I had a guest ask for my $89 room the other day. I asked where she found that. She told me and I went and looked. Apparently, the price had been hardcoded into a gif file and when I made my updates to that site, it didn't change them everywhere. My lowest price is $120, which it said on that site, but she wanted the other lowest price.
wink_smile.gif
The thing I found strange is their web site has the lowest price.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

MTLLodge said:
Depending on where else you found them, it could be because there's a commission fee on the other sites paid when a guest books and they're trying to make that back.

Depends on the ages of the sites. The longer I'm in business, which so far is less than a year, the more websites I have to keep track of where my information is. I tried to put future prices, not present, when I signed up, but I don't even remember all the sites I'm on. Someday I'll be organized (this coming February, probably) and make a list of every site I know of, so that at least a couple of times a year I can go and make sure all is up to date.
=)
Kk..
Do a Google on yourself and see where you show up. That will give you a fair list of what needs updated.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
OK, I'm on a LOT of sites I have no control over and some that I can't remember untill the bill shows up. BUT, what I did do (and it's a good idea before you get too far into this) was to make up a 'spreadsheet' with the site name, my userid, pw, date the renewal comes up and how much it is. Then I can print this out a couple of times a year (just did) and make updates. Maybe change a pic, add some new amenity or attraction in the area, add a package, etc. Really, at this point, busy as you are, you should try to do this before it gets overwhelming. It also gives you a snapshot of your marketing expenses.
Speaking of which, bbonline went up $20/year.

Back