DIfferent room Prices

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
We want to do a major upgrade to our rooms but can't offord to do them all at once. So the plan is this:
Our front double is our most popular because it looks out over Loch Ness. I'd like to replace the window with a Juliette Balcony, refit the bathroom (the showers are small considering the size of the bathroom so a large walk-in shower would be nice, which means complete re-tiling), new carpet, bigger HD TV, new furniture (currently flat-packed stuff we inheritend from the previous owner).
We would then up the price for that room and I calculate that within 2 years we'd re-coup the costs.
However I wonder what others feel about having differently priced rooms. Do people go for the cheap? This isn't necessarily a bad thing as it could mean in the shoulder months it's the other rooms that tend to be empty.

Most guests understand why rooms have different prices IF they see a big difference between the rooms. If you think the changes are warranted and WILL bring in more money, then do it. If you aren't sure, then do things guests have commented on first.

Major hotels and resorts have a higher price for rooms that are larger.....larger bathrooms.
I've seen rooms that were 10-15 sqft more space have a higher price.
Upgrade....as in a room redmodel. Certainly deserves looking at an increased room rate.

As I've planned creation of my own B&B, I've had advice from several sources that you should have one high-end, more expensive room (that's worth it) and one nice but cheap room, and all the other rooms somewhere in between. This lets you attract a broader range of guests.
Many places say their two most popular rooms are the most expensive one and the least expensive one. Some people just automatically go for the most expensive, assuming that it will be worth it. Others go automatically for the cheapest one.
The real estate professionals around here tell me that new construction and additions should by priced to pay for themselves in 10 years. So if yours will pay off in just 2 years, I'd say do it. Immediately!
A few years ago we spent the night in Fort William then drove the next day along Loch Ness, so I know what you're talking about when you complain about people coming there and never leaving their room. You do indeed live in a spectacular place!

Had to click post and now wanted to add: A couple things to change to make room rates higher, a KING BED will always sell first. In this country and even your countrymen who visit the USA. A view, or added amenities like fireplace, jacuzzi tub, privacy. If a room is extra private (no adjoining rooms nearby).
Selling one room as the more romantic room will sell more as well.
All of this in my experience with all room types and variations on price. The least price rooms sells the least here.
and...room names. One room sells due to its room name, i am positive of it. SO if you have Room A, Room B and Room C - change them to names, people enjoy picking a room from the feel a name conveys.

It sounds as if the room will accommodate a king bed. That and the other things you are talking about should get a higher rate and with that view I do not think you will have any problem getting the rate. Whem finished, take some photos of the view framed by the doorway to the balcony and from the balcony - sunrise or sunset are probably spectacular! Post those on your web site with that room.
Different priced rooms do not put people off. As soon as I can get another queen bed upstairs, I will have 3 rooms with 3 different prices.

It will vary. Generally we find the larger (hence higher priced) rooms go first, but there are those who are always on the cheap and will book the smallest/lowest priced first. I would think if you market the view people will book that room first.

We have 4 rooms and 3 different prices. Historically, the cheapest room rents last.
As others have said, sell the view! Instead of a Juliet balcony, can you build a slightly bigger one so you could put a small table & chairs out there? People would love to sit out there, drink coffee, read a book and overlook the loch. You'll be surprised how quickly this room will book. Name it the Loch View Room or something like that!

I have had the opposite experience. My lowest price rooms rent first, with the most expensive 2nd and the 2 in between vary. Granted I live in a city and attract people coming on the own budget to attend conferences so they travel on the cheap. Maybe I'm not a good example. The most expensive room gets rented because it is the only room with the bath en-suite.

We have 4 rooms and 3 different prices. Historically, the cheapest room rents last.
As others have said, sell the view! Instead of a Juliet balcony, can you build a slightly bigger one so you could put a small table & chairs out there? People would love to sit out there, drink coffee, read a book and overlook the loch. You'll be surprised how quickly this room will book. Name it the Loch View Room or something like that!.
Breakfast Diva said:
...can you build a slightly bigger one so you could put a small table & chairs out there? People would love to sit out there, drink coffee, read a book and overlook the loch...
I stayed at a Victorian-style B&B a couple of nights in July. My 2nd floor room had its own small balcony. I measured it. Just 3 feet by 7 feet, but they got two chairs and a tiny table out there and I really enjoyed it. Every night I'd sit there and sip wine and enjoy the view.
This particular porch had an extension of roof over it and I sat out there in the rain one evening. Very nice.
I'd definitely pay extra for an upstairs room with a private balcony large enough to sit on. A great view would be a plus, but, for me, any outside view beats sitting in the room staring at walls!

I have had the opposite experience. My lowest price rooms rent first, with the most expensive 2nd and the 2 in between vary. Granted I live in a city and attract people coming on the own budget to attend conferences so they travel on the cheap. Maybe I'm not a good example. The most expensive room gets rented because it is the only room with the bath en-suite..
domsmom said:
I have had the opposite experience. My lowest price rooms rent first, with the most expensive 2nd and the 2 in between vary. Granted I live in a city and attract people coming on the own budget to attend conferences so they travel on the cheap. Maybe I'm not a good example. The most expensive room gets rented because it is the only room with the bath en-suite.
If you are in a city with conference business, then it makes sense that your cheapest rooms are the first to rent. If I'm going to a conference, I'm rarely in the room and just need a clean place to lay my head. I think the difference with HJ is that he's in a tourist area with gorgeous surroundings. People want to sight-see then go back to their room to relax and their room is part of their vacation experience.

I would say that the most expensive rents first most of the time. Granted, there are exceptions :) However, if what you are describing as room space would be able to hold a BIG bed, I'd go for that. Market it as private, romantic, spacious, luxurious. Those words convey meanings that can be profitable (or at least break-even-able ;) )

So basically have different room config meets different needs, yes we all agree on that!

My most expensive and least expensive rooms rent first. My bookings are way up since offering 3 different price points.

Who really knows how to price rooms?
Our rooms range from really nice to really nice. We run two price styles: summer we have a range of prices: 165 - 195. We find that the cheaper rooms book first as they seem like a better deal: the more expensive room has only a marginal amenity (jetted tub).
In winter we keep weekends on a range and set all rooms at flat $150 for weekdays; then we find that ... the more expensive rooms rent first, again seems like a better deal.
My impression is that people expect to see rooms at a B&B valued over a range and then spend time trying to figure out what they want to buy. Shoppers' syndrome, call it. I made my favorite room the cheapest just to give them a bargain.

I'd do it and definately charge more. People understand why. We have just done room 2 which was as mentioned was a bit of a problem child and is now beautiful and when people go in they say gosh this is nice. However we sell our bigger/nicer doubles as Featured Doubles as opposed to standard doubles and sell it as this room has a special feature for example the room you mention the feature would be amazing balcony and fab bathroom. They sell especially well for romantic breaks. Also a walk in shower will be appreciated by your older customers. I have a bee in my bonet about older people and people with mobility dificulties as round where I am they seem to get ripped off a lot ie end up having to stay in the big hotels where they have to pay $300 plus for a disabled room. We do well with this group as they tend to stay for 4 nights (ie saves costs) and are usually low maintenance. One of my tasks for this year is to put in a diabled handrail by the toilet that lifts up and down to help people get up.

I'd do it and definately charge more. People understand why. We have just done room 2 which was as mentioned was a bit of a problem child and is now beautiful and when people go in they say gosh this is nice. However we sell our bigger/nicer doubles as Featured Doubles as opposed to standard doubles and sell it as this room has a special feature for example the room you mention the feature would be amazing balcony and fab bathroom. They sell especially well for romantic breaks. Also a walk in shower will be appreciated by your older customers. I have a bee in my bonet about older people and people with mobility dificulties as round where I am they seem to get ripped off a lot ie end up having to stay in the big hotels where they have to pay $300 plus for a disabled room. We do well with this group as they tend to stay for 4 nights (ie saves costs) and are usually low maintenance. One of my tasks for this year is to put in a diabled handrail by the toilet that lifts up and down to help people get up..
...older people and people with mobility dificulties as round where I am they seem to get ripped off a lot ie end up having to stay in the big hotels where they have to pay $300 plus for a disabled room...One of my tasks for this year is to put in a diabled handrail by the toilet that lifts up and down to help people get up.
Good for you. When we traveled UK in June with my 88-year-old mother, it was about impossible to find a place with ground floor accommodations. Many times she didn't go down for dinner or breakfast because she didn't want to do the stairs again, so we'd carry food up to her in the room.
I'm putting two ground-floor guest rooms in my place with folks like her in mind. I know most places just aren't laid out where they can do that, but since I'm building sort of from scratch, I'm happy to have that luxury.

I'd do it and definately charge more. People understand why. We have just done room 2 which was as mentioned was a bit of a problem child and is now beautiful and when people go in they say gosh this is nice. However we sell our bigger/nicer doubles as Featured Doubles as opposed to standard doubles and sell it as this room has a special feature for example the room you mention the feature would be amazing balcony and fab bathroom. They sell especially well for romantic breaks. Also a walk in shower will be appreciated by your older customers. I have a bee in my bonet about older people and people with mobility dificulties as round where I am they seem to get ripped off a lot ie end up having to stay in the big hotels where they have to pay $300 plus for a disabled room. We do well with this group as they tend to stay for 4 nights (ie saves costs) and are usually low maintenance. One of my tasks for this year is to put in a diabled handrail by the toilet that lifts up and down to help people get up..
...older people and people with mobility dificulties as round where I am they seem to get ripped off a lot ie end up having to stay in the big hotels where they have to pay $300 plus for a disabled room...One of my tasks for this year is to put in a diabled handrail by the toilet that lifts up and down to help people get up.
Good for you. When we traveled UK in June with my 88-year-old mother, it was about impossible to find a place with ground floor accommodations. Many times she didn't go down for dinner or breakfast because she didn't want to do the stairs again, so we'd carry food up to her in the room.
I'm putting two ground-floor guest rooms in my place with folks like her in mind. I know most places just aren't laid out where they can do that, but since I'm building sort of from scratch, I'm happy to have that luxury.
Consider an elevator. Building from scratch makes it relatively affordable. We have a 3-story inn and it makes a big difference.

We have a ground floor room, and I can't tell you how glad I am that we do. We get alot of requests for it...far more than for two beds, king beds or jacuzzi tubs.

Back