Dilemma

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
It's very possible that I'm going to get a corporate retreat offer which would take all my rooms for 3 nights. Their meeting would not be at my place, just housing business men. I met with 4 of them last night (stayed with us) and they are very respectful.
Here's the problem. I have 1 reservation which just came in 2 days ago and their 3 day reservation overlaps 1 night and screws up the corporate reservation. The couple that have already reserved, booked a Sat., Sun., & Monday. The corporate folks are asking if I could contact the regular guests and if the guests would move their reservation back one day (Fri, Sat, Sun), the corporation would pay one of their nights, making it a 3 night reservation but they pay for 2 nights.
These guests are new and live within our nearest metro area (1 1/2 hours away). Their reservation states it's their anniversary. The reservation is for the 3rd week of Sept.
How bad would it be to ask them if this is possible? What would you do?

I would contact the guest, explain the situation, and ask If it would work for them. If not, make it clear that you are not pressing them, and will be happy to honor the original reservation. Since there is a carrot for them, candor just might win the day.

I would contact the guest, explain the situation, and ask If it would work for them. If not, make it clear that you are not pressing them, and will be happy to honor the original reservation. Since there is a carrot for them, candor just might win the day..
I agree. They get an extra night gratis.

I would contact the guest, explain the situation, and ask If it would work for them. If not, make it clear that you are not pressing them, and will be happy to honor the original reservation. Since there is a carrot for them, candor just might win the day..
I agree with Skamokawa and Pussy Cat! If I was given the offer I would go for it. If they go for it, I would leave something special in their room as a thank you gift from you for switching. Wishing you the very best in the situation!
The worst that could happen they would say no.

I would do as Puss suggests - with a bottle of bubbly in the room if they agree.

I'd only contact the booked guests with the offer if it's a guaranteed rez from the corporate people ... let us know how this turns out

Skamokawa said:
I would contact the guest, explain the situation, and ask If it would work for them. If not, make it clear that you are not pressing them, and will be happy to honor the original reservation. Since there is a carrot for them, candor just might win the day.
Excellent answer.

Thanks everyone for you input. I was thinking the same thing. Offer it to the regular guests and see what happens.
I should know in the next day or two if they're going to choose the location near us for their retreat.

I would offer it - sell it to them as a option to have a free night and maybe extend their stay etc

I would definitely contact the guest and explain the situation. People are pretty reasonable and having the 3rd night paid for, how can they complain.
Crossing my fingers

Thanks everyone for you input. I was thinking the same thing. Offer it to the regular guests and see what happens.
I should know in the next day or two if they're going to choose the location near us for their retreat..
Breakfast Diva said:
I should know in the next day or two if they're going to choose the location near us for their retreat.
So, until you hear from the corporation, are you blocking those dates out in your calendar? Just asking because what would happen if others make reservations for that time?

I should know in the next day or two if they're going to choose the location near us for their retreat..
Breakfast Diva said:
So, until you hear from the corporation, are you blocking those dates out in your calendar? Just asking because what would happen if others make reservations for that time?
No, I'm not blocking out the rooms. First come, first served is my motto. I'm just not good with 'what ifs". It's still busy enough during that time that I'll probably fill anyway. I just like the idea of a bunch of biz guys here who will be gone most of the day. Totally opposite of our typical guests. They hang in their rooms all day.
If they don't call me by tonight, I'm going to figure they chose a different location for their meeting.

You will likely have to ask the existing guests if they would be willing to move before the corporate retreat folks are going to be willing to put money down. Like them, I am not going to put down a deposit if the availability of what I need is uncertain.
We have on occasion asked long-time returning guests if they would be willing to shift their dates or cut their stay short by a day so that we might be able to accommodate a wedding.
It is a delicate dance, for sure.

UPDATE:
Everything worked out great! The guests moved their reservation back one day and will get 1 night paid for by the corp. The corp gets all our rooms for 3 nights and I don't have to worry about all the men disturbing our romantic getaway couple!
Another great thing is that the corp never asked for any kind of discount. I wouldn't have given them one, but it sure is nice not to have to go through the hassle.
WOOHOO!

UPDATE:
Everything worked out great! The guests moved their reservation back one day and will get 1 night paid for by the corp. The corp gets all our rooms for 3 nights and I don't have to worry about all the men disturbing our romantic getaway couple!
Another great thing is that the corp never asked for any kind of discount. I wouldn't have given them one, but it sure is nice not to have to go through the hassle.
WOOHOO!.
YEA!!!!!

Glad things worked out for you. I have something like this coming up in October. Keeping my fingers crossed for an outcome like yours!

Glad things worked out for you. I have something like this coming up in October. Keeping my fingers crossed for an outcome like yours!.
Thanks! I hope your comes through also! Our location does not lend itself to any business bookings, so this is a rarity for us.

Glad things worked out for you. I have something like this coming up in October. Keeping my fingers crossed for an outcome like yours!.
Thanks! I hope your comes through also! Our location does not lend itself to any business bookings, so this is a rarity for us.
If they are engineers everything will be lined up: shoes, clothes, toiletries.

Back