Dinged for Value

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dearest Sandynn, since I've seen your lovely place and know what you offer your guests (which is much more than many places) I'm thinking that these value "dings" are straight out for price, not value for their dollar.
This is where I can wear the guest hat - When there are so many hotels offering many of the same amenities as B&Bs now and trying to provide a B&B-like "experience" at a lower cost right around $100, I think I can see where your guests are coming from when they don't rate you at the highest for value.
Wearing the innkeeper hat - I can feel your disappointment. You really go all out for your guests. You provide the utmost in value for them.
Don't give up on reviews, prospective guests will see how great your place & the innkeepers are!.
You are always so sweet. Come back please.
regular_smile.gif

Dearest Sandynn, since I've seen your lovely place and know what you offer your guests (which is much more than many places) I'm thinking that these value "dings" are straight out for price, not value for their dollar.
This is where I can wear the guest hat - When there are so many hotels offering many of the same amenities as B&Bs now and trying to provide a B&B-like "experience" at a lower cost right around $100, I think I can see where your guests are coming from when they don't rate you at the highest for value.
Wearing the innkeeper hat - I can feel your disappointment. You really go all out for your guests. You provide the utmost in value for them.
Don't give up on reviews, prospective guests will see how great your place & the innkeepers are!.
You are always so sweet. Come back please.
regular_smile.gif

Thanks! Would love to come back your way and stay in your lovely place some day! I just don't know when I'll get back that way.....
Have heart, I've stayed in B&Bs all over the country and overseas and you have a great place!

Value - so many different things to so many different people.
Many years ago we recieved a review that stated "not worth the amount we paid", "nothing special". Well we are not the Ritz and do not charge those rates either. They had our best room at a rate equal to the nicer of the hotels in our town, this on NYE, 2 night min. no bumped up rate, comp. champagne with strawberries & NYE party favors.
I just started thinking what more could I have done for that amount? But as I thought more, I recieved lots of reservations for that room at that rate year round, no complaints about lack of value.... It is all based on what the value they place on the money they spend and what they expect to get for that amount. Many, many have told me my prices are too reasonable ... especially AFTER they are here; that great but I wonder if they would have booked if my prices had been what they stated they should be for the VALUE they get once here.
A 'freebie' or highly discount traveler usually has even higher expectations of the place. It is not just with lodging, just think of how many complain at restaurants then hand the waitress a BOGO or something.

Also in this country we are dealing with an old fashioned attitude that is B&B=super cheap which is a pile of horse manure was chatting with one of the guests today and I was saying a lot of places are knocking off high brand (ie posh brand toiletries) and changing to cheaper ones she said oh yes its not like you have to provide any of that stuff anyway and I informed her to be 4 star which we are you do have to and they have to be high quality not walmart own even to be 3 star and she didn't even know that! She also had no clue what star we are or that the AA or visit Britain have a huge list of requirements for each grade. What do they think they hand them out for? People baffle me. I was also telling her about how the review system is completely open to manipuation which she had never even considered which shows how completely gullible most people are about the reliability of these things. (ill get off my soap box now)
wink_smile.gif

Here's a review we recently received.
We have been going to XYZ B&B for Valentine's weekend for the last 4 years. We really like the cottage with it's roominess and privacy near the little creek. D creates the most spectacular breakfast delivered right to your door, their coffee is also amazing. The location is great in that there is plenty to do in the area not very far from this secluded getaway. In lieu of not being able to get to a tropical dive spot as envisioned, I took this opportunity to propose at our favorite B&B. Thanks D&R for making this and our previous stays memorable!
Glowing, right? He purposefully chose to propose to his girlfriend here. Always stay in our most expensive room. It was Valentine's weekend and not only do they get lots of chocolate hearts and goodies in their room, but I put on a big spread of a chocolate fountain with delightful things to dip in the chocolate. I just don't get some people. The 4s really bother me, but VALUE?!?!?!?!
Here's how they rated us in the individual catagories:
Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4

Also in this country we are dealing with an old fashioned attitude that is B&B=super cheap which is a pile of horse manure was chatting with one of the guests today and I was saying a lot of places are knocking off high brand (ie posh brand toiletries) and changing to cheaper ones she said oh yes its not like you have to provide any of that stuff anyway and I informed her to be 4 star which we are you do have to and they have to be high quality not walmart own even to be 3 star and she didn't even know that! She also had no clue what star we are or that the AA or visit Britain have a huge list of requirements for each grade. What do they think they hand them out for? People baffle me. I was also telling her about how the review system is completely open to manipuation which she had never even considered which shows how completely gullible most people are about the reliability of these things. (ill get off my soap box now)
wink_smile.gif
That's the same here. Almost none of our guests have ever read up on what the stars mean in the AAA book. They think it has something to do with how clean the place is. (Based on comments about a hotel down the street with 4 stars that is apparently filthy.) When I tell them it has to do with the amenities, like a pool, which the hotel has, the guests are astonished.
They ask what do we have to do to get 4 stars because it's so clean here! I tell them I'd have to have a restaurant, pool, front desk, be open 24 hours, etc. Again, stunned. For 5 stars add marble or granite in the bathrooms, etc. If I had that kind of money there's a lot more I'd do with it than install marble vanities!

We have been going to XYZ B&B for Valentine's weekend for the last 4 years. We really like the cottage with it's roominess and privacy near the little creek. D creates the most spectacular breakfast delivered right to your door, their coffee is also amazing. The location is great in that there is plenty to do in the area not very far from this secluded getaway. In lieu of not being able to get to a tropical dive spot as envisioned, I took this opportunity to propose at our favorite B&B. Thanks D&R for making this and our previous stays memorable!
Glowing, right? He purposefully chose to propose to his girlfriend here. Always stay in our most expensive room. It was Valentine's weekend and not only do they get lots of chocolate hearts and goodies in their room, but I put on a big spread of a chocolate fountain with delightful things to dip in the chocolate. I just don't get some people. The 4s really bother me, but VALUE?!?!?!?!
Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Because you actually know who this is, could you ask why the '3' for value?
When I see the '3' or '4' for value on my reviews I wish I knew who wrote them! I try to think back if I do recognize the names if there was something 'off' that day or what. And, you know what it usually comes down to? They are on a strict budget and the WHOLE weekend cost them more than they planned. They'll come back telling me how much the restaurant was or how the sales weren't as good or it rained. It's the whol impression they have of the weekend but the lodging is what they decide to review.
Let me ask this...do you think we should ALL take a page from the hotels and list higher prices in our guest books or on the back of the door? You know how the hotels always have the room prices at 'maximum $500' and you only paid $79. They do that for a variety of reasons...so they CAN charge $500 and so when they don't you think you got a deal.

Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
When I see the '3' or '4' for value on my reviews I wish I knew who wrote them! I try to think back if I do recognize the names if there was something 'off' that day or what. And, you know what it usually comes down to? They are on a strict budget and the WHOLE weekend cost them more than they planned. They'll come back telling me how much the restaurant was or how the sales weren't as good or it rained. It's the whol impression they have of the weekend but the lodging is what they decide to review.
Let me ask this...do you think we should ALL take a page from the hotels and list higher prices in our guest books or on the back of the door? You know how the hotels always have the room prices at 'maximum $500' and you only paid $79. They do that for a variety of reasons...so they CAN charge $500 and so when they don't you think you got a deal.
Alibi Ike said:
Rack rate $350 per night, your rate $189
teeth_smile.gif

Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Semi-side-track:
Do you build in a buffer for discounting (as a hotel does)? Not "you" Ike, "you" anyone. If there was a built in $10 or 10% buffer and you "came down" in price, would you still not get what you need out of the room? Would that change the perception? Would it make you look better? Feel bad? I'm thinking of a multitude of things right now, not the least of which is the Better Way to Stay campaign from PAII. If there is wiggle room in your rates would you be more willing to wiggle? I understand the emotional attachment to the pricing: it's your home, it's your livlihood...I totally get all that.
"so they CAN charge $500 and so when they don't you think you got a deal."
Isn't everyone's perception their reality? What they believe to be true is what is true to them

Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Alibi Ike said:
teeth_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
teeth_smile.gif
Exactly.

Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Semi-side-track:
Do you build in a buffer for discounting (as a hotel does)? Not "you" Ike, "you" anyone. If there was a built in $10 or 10% buffer and you "came down" in price, would you still not get what you need out of the room? Would that change the perception? Would it make you look better? Feel bad? I'm thinking of a multitude of things right now, not the least of which is the Better Way to Stay campaign from PAII. If there is wiggle room in your rates would you be more willing to wiggle? I understand the emotional attachment to the pricing: it's your home, it's your livlihood...I totally get all that.
Isn't everyone's perception their reality? What they believe to be true is what is true to them
Wiggle room is totally dependent on the price of consumables. We have raised rates a little bit almost every year and every year something else takes the profit away. No, there is no wiggle room. I've had to cut out guest discounts for repeats. It was killing me.
A hotel with a rack rate of $199 that can allow employees to stay for $39 is still making money on that room. If I'm charging $199, it's because that's what we've calculated we need to get during peak season to have enough to live thru low season. Low season is simply gravy if I get anything. I COULD put my rooms online for $75 right now. It's gravy at this time of year.
However, no one would reserve at that price. I've been thru this. 'The price is so low, what's wrong with that place?' is a question I hear a lot when someone wants to stay here for $75 but doesn't actually want to stay at the place that charges $75.
See? That's it right there. Everyone wants the bennies at the discount price. No one wants the discount price if that's the actual price.

Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Semi-side-track:
Wiggle room is totally dependent on the price of consumables. We have raised rates a little bit almost every year and every year something else takes the profit away. No, there is no wiggle room. I've had to cut out guest discounts for repeats. It was killing me.
A hotel with a rack rate of $199 that can allow employees to stay for $39 is still making money on that room. If I'm charging $199, it's because that's what we've calculated we need to get during peak season to have enough to live thru low season. Low season is simply gravy if I get anything. I COULD put my rooms online for $75 right now. It's gravy at this time of year.
However, no one would reserve at that price. I've been thru this. 'The price is so low, what's wrong with that place?' is a question I hear a lot when someone wants to stay here for $75 but doesn't actually want to stay at the place that charges $75.
See? That's it right there. Everyone wants the bennies at the discount price. No one wants the discount price if that's the actual price.
I totally understand...

Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Semi-side-track:
Quite honestly I do not want to do a "discount" of any kind (other than the BOGO things we are already involved in. To bump my rate to give "wiggle room" sends a message to the gust that I do not want to send - that even I think I was over-priced and that is why I "gave them a break" (discount). A Special is not a discount. People understand Specials and "Sales" are specific items at specific times. Not my regular rate to be dickered. THAT is my rate.

depending on the state the hotel is required to list the maximum rate - that is to stop sleazy hotels charging people more than that ......or putting people in a room of lesser value than they had paid for
ie when I was in New Orleans the back of the door listed $480 which is of course what they charge over Mardi Gras but I was not even paying 1/2 of that - did it make me feel I was getting better "value"? No. I purchased the room based on the price I knew I could get, not on what I did not know.

Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Alibi Ike said:
As much as I would love to do that, I wouldn't ask them. I'd be afraid they would be embarassed or made to feel uncomfortable. If someone did that to me, I probably wouldn't return to that place.

Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Alibi Ike said:
As much as I would love to do that, I wouldn't ask them. I'd be afraid they would be embarassed or made to feel uncomfortable. If someone did that to me, I probably wouldn't return to that place.
Breakfast Diva said:
Alibi Ike said:
Good point.

wink_smile.gif
That's the same here. Almost none of our guests have ever read up on what the stars mean in the AAA book. They think it has something to do with how clean the place is. (Based on comments about a hotel down the street with 4 stars that is apparently filthy.) When I tell them it has to do with the amenities, like a pool, which the hotel has, the guests are astonished.
They ask what do we have to do to get 4 stars because it's so clean here! I tell them I'd have to have a restaurant, pool, front desk, be open 24 hours, etc. Again, stunned. For 5 stars add marble or granite in the bathrooms, etc. If I had that kind of money there's a lot more I'd do with it than install marble vanities!
It's no wonder people get confused. Bed & Breakfast.com's rating system, though maybe not the most accurate, is probably more in line with what most people think a rating system means.
rating5.gif
Outstanding
rating4.gif
Exceeded my expectations
rating3.gif
Met my expectations
rating2.gif
Okay, but below average
There's no mention of specific amenities.

Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Alibi Ike said:
Could you send them a "survey" and ask what you might be able to do better? If it looked like something you were sending out to others too, they might not feel so "on the spot"?

Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Alibi Ike said:
Could you send them a "survey" and ask what you might be able to do better? If it looked like something you were sending out to others too, they might not feel so "on the spot"?
I've done that. You know what guests say? 'Nothing, everything was fine.'
OTOH, you should make sure you have a thick skin for the ones who do answer! I was kind of surprised by some of what I read.

Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Alibi Ike said:
I've done that. You know what guests say? 'Nothing, everything was fine.'
OTOH, you should make sure you have a thick skin for the ones who do answer! I was kind of surprised by some of what I read.
I meant a "fake" survey with several other questions and one about "value", just for these folks, but looking like it went to everyone. Yes, might be tough to hear, but at least you might have a clue how their brains are working.

Back