Dinged for Value

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a review we recently received.
We have been going to XYZ B&B for Valentine's weekend for the last 4 years. We really like the cottage with it's roominess and privacy near the little creek. D creates the most spectacular breakfast delivered right to your door, their coffee is also amazing. The location is great in that there is plenty to do in the area not very far from this secluded getaway. In lieu of not being able to get to a tropical dive spot as envisioned, I took this opportunity to propose at our favorite B&B. Thanks D&R for making this and our previous stays memorable!
Glowing, right? He purposefully chose to propose to his girlfriend here. Always stay in our most expensive room. It was Valentine's weekend and not only do they get lots of chocolate hearts and goodies in their room, but I put on a big spread of a chocolate fountain with delightful things to dip in the chocolate. I just don't get some people. The 4s really bother me, but VALUE?!?!?!?!
Here's how they rated us in the individual catagories:
Overall 4 (out of 5)
Rooms 4
Service 5
Value 3
Cleanliness 4
Dining 4.
Because you actually know who this is, could you ask why the '3' for value?
When I see the '3' or '4' for value on my reviews I wish I knew who wrote them! I try to think back if I do recognize the names if there was something 'off' that day or what. And, you know what it usually comes down to? They are on a strict budget and the WHOLE weekend cost them more than they planned. They'll come back telling me how much the restaurant was or how the sales weren't as good or it rained. It's the whol impression they have of the weekend but the lodging is what they decide to review.
Let me ask this...do you think we should ALL take a page from the hotels and list higher prices in our guest books or on the back of the door? You know how the hotels always have the room prices at 'maximum $500' and you only paid $79. They do that for a variety of reasons...so they CAN charge $500 and so when they don't you think you got a deal.
Alibi Ike said:
Because you actually know who this is, could you ask why the '3' for value?
As much as I would love to do that, I wouldn't ask them. I'd be afraid they would be embarassed or made to feel uncomfortable. If someone did that to me, I probably wouldn't return to that place.
Could you send them a "survey" and ask what you might be able to do better? If it looked like something you were sending out to others too, they might not feel so "on the spot"?
I've done that. You know what guests say? 'Nothing, everything was fine.'
OTOH, you should make sure you have a thick skin for the ones who do answer! I was kind of surprised by some of what I read.
I meant a "fake" survey with several other questions and one about "value", just for these folks, but looking like it went to everyone. Yes, might be tough to hear, but at least you might have a clue how their brains are working.
I won't go to that trouble since it's not a big issue for us generally. Most reviews give us a 5 or 4. It's just with this couple, they choose to come here over and over. I don't know about others out there, but I would not repeatedly go back to a place where I didn't think my money was well spent (value). It's just odd. Again, "value" means so many things to people, it's really hard to analyze what's going on with folks.

Back