Dinged for Value

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
Just venting.
I just got a review from a couple that loved everything about their stay. They used a Smart Box Coupon that was bought for them and their review they marked me down on value. They didn't even buy the Smart Box it was given to them. I am getting dinged on value so much lately that I think people that look at my reviews will think I am too high priced. As I have said before our prices are 135-155. Almost everyone that marked us down on value took the best room. What is up with this. Now guests that stayed for free because someone bought them a Smart Box marked us down on value. I am not going to ask anyone for a review again.
Oh my gosh I just remembered the Smart Box Guy really wanted the best room and I upgraded him for no extra charge. He was very thankful and said it several times.
angry_smile.gif

Several that ding are ones that have gotten a discount of some sort. I don't give many discounts but the ones that I have given dinged me on value too.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I am not going to do Groupon but if I did I bet I would get a ding for value there too.

We get dinged on value all the time. No idea at all what those guests expected. We've been dinged on value by guests who paid twice what we charged and had to pay for parking, WiFi AND breakfast at another place on their trip.
Other places that charge a lot less and a lot more than I do get dinged as well, so I think it's just that people are being mindful of their money.

I think some people just don't get what "value" means...like maybe it means it was an economy type place and they don't want to place you in that category.
Frankly, I don't want anyone who is using "value" as their first criteria anyway...

Value is "perceived", what is value to one person is not to another. It is not like a dirty room or a broken bed. I used to get upset about the few minor things I was dinged on until someone told me if every review is 5* some people will start saying hmm. Don't stop getting reviews because they are your greatest tool, use them to your advantage. Have you thought of calling these guests, thanking them for the feedback and asking how you could improve on the "value" side of it? Remember VALUE and price are two totally different fish. Sometimes if the same thing is coming up more than a couple of times as you say it did then maybe there is something that you are not seeing, I know I don't always see EVERYTHING from a guest standpoint as much as I try and increasing "value" in your guest's perception may be something that is as small as (for example) putting 2 bottles of water in a guest room. Cost? 16c per bottle. I am not saying this is relevant to your specific situation, just trying to be the hmmmm???

The last reviews that dinged me one bubble for value really made me mad too! I gave them an upgrade worth $45 AND they had an online discount, AND flowers in their room and other extras. It really hurt, it made me realize, as it always does, this is a business, and that is all guests consider it to be. We think of it as our home, our hospitality, our effort, they don't.
Hang in there!

I think some people just don't get what "value" means...like maybe it means it was an economy type place and they don't want to place you in that category.
Frankly, I don't want anyone who is using "value" as their first criteria anyway....
Don Draper said:
Frankly, I don't want anyone who is using "value" as their first criteria anyway...
Interesting as I never think of "Value" when I stay places either, it is a tricky one. When asked that is the one question you will pause and have to think about as it really encompasses all the rest.

Frankly, I don't want anyone who is using "value" as their first criteria anyway....
I think "value" in marketing to the consumer is slapped on every discount item. Maybe it has become confused with discount. Just stopped in the local dollar place, everything there is a great "VALUE" sez so on every package.

I think part of it is they don't understand value means do you think it was value for money? they think it means was it cheap which is not the same thing at all is it?

I think part of it is they don't understand value means do you think it was value for money? they think it means was it cheap which is not the same thing at all is it?.
I want everyone to know the "value" and kindness I received yesterday from a certain Brit. In addition to faithfully voting for my City daily she sent me a package of tourist info on London, Yorkshire, etc. It is VERY much appreciated and publicly thanked for.

I think part of it is they don't understand value means do you think it was value for money? they think it means was it cheap which is not the same thing at all is it?.
I think part of it is they don't understand value means do you think it was value for money? they think it means was it cheap which is not the same thing at all is it?
OK, that makes sense.

Sidetrack - the man who called and wanted to pay with a cashiers check, well I am working with him. He has called a dozen times thus far for one night in June.
So...I tell him I will hold the room, send it once it clears it is a done deal. I have his name on the room, one lonely monday night in June. No biggee.
He asks for the total, I tell him the tax rate and total. He says "Don't I get the 10% off for booking online?" I said "It is $10 off, but DID you book online?" He said "Yes, but it wouldn't let me." I said "Because we require a credit card, just like every hotel in America does" "I still think I should get the 10% off (he says 10% again, old men in FLA can't trick THIS Innkeeper!) because I tried to." I said, well since I have spokent to you a dozen times in the last two days, the $10 off for booking online is not really going to apply"
Then he says, and me wonders WHO on this forum set me up... "You said to mention allergies and dietary restrictions" YES! "I am vegetarian, can't eat cheese or any dair and no wheat" I say "But do you eat eggs?" He "Yes I love eggs!" "Okay, so what else do you LOVE for breakfast?" and he rattles off a list.
I am worn out already for this one night FLA/Jersy retiree transplant - you all know they are my favorite guests of all time!

Sidetrack - the man who called and wanted to pay with a cashiers check, well I am working with him. He has called a dozen times thus far for one night in June.
So...I tell him I will hold the room, send it once it clears it is a done deal. I have his name on the room, one lonely monday night in June. No biggee.
He asks for the total, I tell him the tax rate and total. He says "Don't I get the 10% off for booking online?" I said "It is $10 off, but DID you book online?" He said "Yes, but it wouldn't let me." I said "Because we require a credit card, just like every hotel in America does" "I still think I should get the 10% off (he says 10% again, old men in FLA can't trick THIS Innkeeper!) because I tried to." I said, well since I have spokent to you a dozen times in the last two days, the $10 off for booking online is not really going to apply"
Then he says, and me wonders WHO on this forum set me up... "You said to mention allergies and dietary restrictions" YES! "I am vegetarian, can't eat cheese or any dair and no wheat" I say "But do you eat eggs?" He "Yes I love eggs!" "Okay, so what else do you LOVE for breakfast?" and he rattles off a list.
I am worn out already for this one night FLA/Jersy retiree transplant - you all know they are my favorite guests of all time!.
Oh my! Be prepared for the worst when he gets there :-(

I am worn out already for this one night FLA/Jersy retiree transplant - you all know they are my favorite guests of all time!.
catlady said:
He called again while I was upstairs but left no mssg. I am SO NOT a babysitter, I am SO anti-that behavior. SO!

This DOES sound like an April Fool's Joke! I wish it were instead of a PITA!

Dearest Sandynn, since I've seen your lovely place and know what you offer your guests (which is much more than many places) I'm thinking that these value "dings" are straight out for price, not value for their dollar.
This is where I can wear the guest hat - When there are so many hotels offering many of the same amenities as B&Bs now and trying to provide a B&B-like "experience" at a lower cost right around $100, I think I can see where your guests are coming from when they don't rate you at the highest for value.
Wearing the innkeeper hat - I can feel your disappointment. You really go all out for your guests. You provide the utmost in value for them.
Don't give up on reviews, prospective guests will see how great your place & the innkeepers are!

catlady said:
He called again while I was upstairs but left no mssg. I am SO NOT a babysitter, I am SO anti-that behavior. SO!
We have a no exceptions rule for online discount and our reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card. He can just as easily take his money and walk into 7-Eleven and get a damn prepaid Visa card (with a NASCAR logo) if he doesn't want to apply for a card. Or go to http://usa.visa.com/locators/prepaid-card-instore.jsp and find out where they have them... then book online.
As far as I am concerned, anyone without a card to guarantee a reservation is just interested in absconding. I don't care if they want to avoid getting a credit card, that's just not my business. My business is running an inn and not handholding people who can't be bothered with joining the 21st century.
(I get this nonsense from guys looking to get away for a weekend with their mistress and they don't want a trace. That's perfect nice for them, but there are hourly rental motels for that.)

Talking about Smartbox, I have had one res with them. And one cancel. I don't plan on renewing although I was very impressed with their book

We get it all the time and it's simply perceived value and frankly means nothing, to no one. Sure, if your prices were out of line with your competitors, then maybe, but if they are in line then it's fine... maybe where they come from they can find a decent room for $75. (You pretty much
I had a lady who complained online saying that the room was too small.... but she booked the smallest room in the house and we certainly point out that it is a small room. It's $20 cheaper than other rooms because it's a small room. Sometimes you just have to wonder....
I see my "competitor" is almost double my price and often he get 4 for value but there are times that he gets 5 for value, too.

Dearest Sandynn, since I've seen your lovely place and know what you offer your guests (which is much more than many places) I'm thinking that these value "dings" are straight out for price, not value for their dollar.
This is where I can wear the guest hat - When there are so many hotels offering many of the same amenities as B&Bs now and trying to provide a B&B-like "experience" at a lower cost right around $100, I think I can see where your guests are coming from when they don't rate you at the highest for value.
Wearing the innkeeper hat - I can feel your disappointment. You really go all out for your guests. You provide the utmost in value for them.
Don't give up on reviews, prospective guests will see how great your place & the innkeepers are!.
Samster said:
When there are so many hotels offering many of the same amenities as B&Bs now and trying to provide a B&B-like "experience" at a lower cost right around $100, I think I can see where your guests are coming from when they don't rate you at the highest for value.
You might be correct here, we will never go as low as the hotel prices.
Keep heart thought, even when hotels "try" to provice B&B amenities, it is nowhere near the feel of a B&B quality. I'm not impressed by a heated up Mrs. Fields cookie or a bag of microwave popcorn and neither are most people who are used to B&B's. But if your guests were recent hotel converts this might be where it's coming from.

catlady said:
We have a no exceptions rule for online discount and our reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card. He can just as easily take his money and walk into 7-Eleven and get a damn prepaid Visa card (with a NASCAR logo) if he doesn't want to apply for a card. Or go to http://usa.visa.com/locators/prepaid-card-instore.jsp and find out where they have them... then book online.
As far as I am concerned, anyone without a card to guarantee a reservation is just interested in absconding. I don't care if they want to avoid getting a credit card, that's just not my business. My business is running an inn and not handholding people who can't be bothered with joining the 21st century.
(I get this nonsense from guys looking to get away for a weekend with their mistress and they don't want a trace. That's perfect nice for them, but there are hourly rental motels for that.)
Eric Arthur Blair said:
AMEN TO THIS!!!!!!

Back