Dining Chairs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Neat Place

Reaction score
How cushy are your dining area chairs?
Ours, as we are finishing out the year as an ABB yet, are metal. Not particularly uncomfortable except if you're in shorts and it's chilly, but practical for ABB-ers because lord-knows-what-happens when people are in your house with zero supervision. I didn't want to be trying to repair wood chairs all the time.
For the venue side, I am about to purchase the French style X-back chairs in a limited quantity (35 of them). They're rated commercial and up to 400 pounds (whew). I figured I can bring eight of those into the Cottage and sell the metal chairs.
Do you have cushions? Of course this brings in laundry... and encourages people to sit. Fine if the conversation is interesting. Not fine if it's politics or religion and I really want them to go explore the area and leave already....

I have shield-back chairs that I bought at an antique shop. They have a thin cushion held in place by 4 screws under the seat. I was able to easily pop them off and reupholster them to match our dining room. I recommend applying a stain repellent to keep the upholstery looking nice. Fortunately, I have extra fabric to reupholster when the stain is stubborn.
Sadly, some of my chairs have been damaged. I had a heavier guest push his knee through the seat of the chair because he was half-kneeling on it as he stood talking to me. I was able to have a replacement seat made. No offer from the guest to compensate for damages, even though we all heard it crack and he looked embarrassed.
I've also noticed that several of the backs of the chairs are scratched up near the seat. I think it's because of the back-pocket buttons on guests' pants.

I have the chairs the local Bob Evens was replacing quite a few years ago. They are starting to get a tad wobbly (backs, not legs) now that Himself is not here to attend to them. No cushions, just the wood. Guests have sat talking for hours with no sign of discomfort. IF they ARE uncomfortable, it is a good way to get them to move along.

Wooden chairs, no cushions. It's breakfast, not a salon. Eat and run.

Inn had wooden chairs I bought in bulk. We had to assemble them all but they were solid wood. They could hold 300 pounds and we checked them all the time for any loose parts just in case. Had two dozen.
Restaurant has metal chairs with cushion seats and backs with vinyl covering. Not the prettiest seats but practical and easy to clean. They came with the place and have been in use eight years now. They are called banquet chairs and can hold 500 pounds they say. The brand is Hercules.
There was just one guest I worried might break a chair. But he didn't so that was a relief. Wouldn't want anyone to get hurt.

Back