dining room table

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a guest I prefer smaller tables, but I have sat at a few with larger tables that sat 6-8 and we had a good time.....

Well, there's always the obvious....larger tables take up less room and promote good conversation. Small tables allow guests to be more anonymous and take up precious floor space.

We can seat up to 10 in the dining room, then spill over to 6 in the living room, then spill to 4 in the parlor or when it's warm enough up to 22 at one table on the porch. Depending on families or groups, we may seat less at the big table to put folks together if it seems to work.

We have one large table which can sit up to 10. If I had the space, I'd have individual tables because it seems that might be what is preferred. Since we don't have a set breakfast time, the one large table seems to work here.

four at four forty four said:
Do you have one large dining room table or several smaller tables?
Thoughts on either?
I have a large formal oak dining room table that expands to seat 8. I find that this encourages interaction and conversation between the guests. In the warm weather I have bistro tables for 2 on my wraparound Victorian porch that guests may use if the prefer.

I have one dining room and one table with both leaves in permanently (or else I have to store them) and thank goodness the dining room is huge so I can comfortably seat 6 and 8 in a pinch. Largest group was 11 and since they were all family they just appreciated all being able to have breakfast together the day the family left - they were in for the nephew getting his Eagle Scout and out gift to him was everybody for breakfast.

I love my individual tables. I can combine them for family groups. Some guests choose me because of the individual set-up. Couples can spend that "quality time" together that they are looking for at a B&B ..... and yet my breakfasts generally end up being super social .... to the point of occasionally verging on the raucous (and I mean that in the best possible way).

We have individual tables that are placed close enough for conversation but far away enough to be private if they choose. This way guests can be on their own or talk.
I know that some come here because they know they can have their private time if they so choose. They usually talk and enjoy each other but like the possiblity to be on their own should they choose to do so.
Riki

Depends on the time of the year. Summer - breakfast is in the Sun Room which has two tables. Cold weather we move into the Dining Room which has one table.

I have one large table, but was thinking about having 3 or 4 smaller tables.
I do notice some people like to sit together... they will even wait for others to eat. But I also notice that some people are uncomfortable when they are two people joining a table of 6....
I suppose it's one of those things where you can't please everyone??
My thought is... with smaller tables.. you have the option of putting them together to make a bigger table or still chatting with another table if you so choose. With one large table.. you have no choice.

I do notice some people like to sit together... they will even wait for others to eat. But I also notice that some people are uncomfortable when they are two people joining a table of 6....
My thought is... with smaller tables.. you have the option of putting them together to make a bigger table or still chatting with another table if you so choose. With one large table.. you have no choice..
Exactly...one table, no choice. We just don't have enough room (we have a pretty large dining room, too) to have multiple tables at this point in time.
One way around the issue of people not wanting to join others here is that we offer room service. Also, guests pick their breakfast time. So, if I'm getting a sense that a couple wants their privacy, I can steer them to a time when it's just them.
There are people that LOVE, Love, love B&Bs but don't enjoy the communal dining room table. I totally get that.

My thought is... with smaller tables.. you have the option of putting them together to make a bigger table or still chatting with another table if you so choose. With one large table.. you have no choice..
Exactly...one table, no choice. We just don't have enough room (we have a pretty large dining room, too) to have multiple tables at this point in time.
One way around the issue of people not wanting to join others here is that we offer room service. Also, guests pick their breakfast time. So, if I'm getting a sense that a couple wants their privacy, I can steer them to a time when it's just them.
There are people that LOVE, Love, love B&Bs but don't enjoy the communal dining room table. I totally get that.
That is why when someone seemed concerned about eating at a common breakfast table, I offered the option of breakfast in their room. That was well recieved and we enjoyed doing it. That way we didn't have to spend several hours chatting away during and after breakfast.

We are the type of couple that when traveling look for either breakfast delivered or a dining room with individual tables. I really like the individual tables because you can chat if you'd like to someone near you or just be with your partner.

four ~ do you run a bed and breakfast?
are you an aspiring?
i haven't found an introduction from you.

Samster said:
i LOVE b&b's, but prefer to eat alone at my own table or at table with my partner. if 'family' table is what is offered, no problem. but it's not my preference.

We have a country farm table that seats six, though our maximum occupancy is four. If people don't want to face the possibility of eating with strangers, then perhaps a B&B is not the right environment for them.
For DW and me, meeting new people has always been the primary allure of going to and/or running a B&B.

I have 1 dining room table. It seats 6 but can expand to 10 easily.
In reality, most of the time, guests eat 2 at a time because they select different times. Only a few times have guests eaten together. So it works out.
Edited to add: Even when same time is selected and the table set for everyone, someone doesn't show at that time, so they still don't eat together.

We have a country farm table that seats six, though our maximum occupancy is four. If people don't want to face the possibility of eating with strangers, then perhaps a B&B is not the right environment for them.
For DW and me, meeting new people has always been the primary allure of going to and/or running a B&B..
I agree with you, PT! Guests who come to a BB are generally wanting the BB experience of meeting, talking with and eating with other guests. When I'm wanting solitude I will generally choose a hotel. I find that when I have just two people they are happy but mention that they miss having other guests to chat with. I do join guests for coffee so they do have someone to talk to. Now the majority of my guests are from overseas so they really are wanting to chat with others. I think I make it clear on my website that breakfast is at one time and with others and I do show my single table set-up.
I've stayed at BBs with individual tables and I've thought it was a bit odd. People do speak to you and then it's awkward when trying to talk with someone at another table.

For DW and me, meeting new people has always been the primary allure of going to and/or running a B&B..
I agree with you, PT! Guests who come to a BB are generally wanting the BB experience of meeting, talking with and eating with other guests. When I'm wanting solitude I will generally choose a hotel. I find that when I have just two people they are happy but mention that they miss having other guests to chat with. I do join guests for coffee so they do have someone to talk to. Now the majority of my guests are from overseas so they really are wanting to chat with others. I think I make it clear on my website that breakfast is at one time and with others and I do show my single table set-up.
I've stayed at BBs with individual tables and I've thought it was a bit odd. People do speak to you and then it's awkward when trying to talk with someone at another table.
ginocat said:
We have our tables close enough that they can chat with each other easily, or not at all. Just like the cafes in Europe. Works for us!
RIki

Back