Diplomats & Taxes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
What do you require from guests stating they do not have to pay taxes because they are diplomats? Is there some sort of ID they are supposed to show?

I'd want a tax-exemption certificate (fed and state employees have them) and I'd check with your state first. You know, I'm less than 100 miles from DC and I have never gotten that. I'm pretty sure I've had at least one diplomat stay here.

I had the Secretary of the Interior stay here and never asked for tax free, and also other religious orgs (Priests etc) and they never asked for tax free.
Altho DH just drove with our good friend from Seattle to Portland to buy a new Refrigerator tax free. (Oregon has no sales tax) ha ha Just depends on who it is I guess and their thinking.
For credit cards they must have the city/state/government office printed on them to receive tax exempt sales. This is the card DH uses when booking lodging or purchases for work. This is understood by vendors.

This is just one thing after another. Paid in advance with some sort of debit/prepaid card, never asked about taxes, can't refund card because he didn't bring it, yada, yada.
We've had other diplomats stay and if they tell us they are diplomats, they ask for the tax free stay. They're so few and far between, we just take the tax off.
Will check with state in case it happens again.

When we have US military stay they have to pay the local tax (called Value Added Tax) but they claim it back in some way so I don't have to faff about with it, just show it on the receipt. I know they do have to have a special letter from the base though to prove who they are it has a really nice embossed seal on it.

We have had tax exempt stay with us, they present a tax expempt certificate that must be filled out and signed. We also require their ID - work ID etc. We recently were sent notice that most expempt status has been lifted here, do not know if that was a Fed., state or local doing.
Your state authority is the one to answer your questions on this matter.

The State and local officials that I had stay with me had their tax exempt forms which were signed by their municipality. You MUST have them for any taxing authority audits. They all know that this is required. Sorry, but I would be collecting the tax if I didn't have the proper forms.

Heck, even the six newly ordained Greek priests staying for ten days; they pay the tax. Sounds like your "diplomat" comes from the same place.

Found this today, so this couple should have had a tax ID card. Now I know what to ask for. And there is a phone number I can call if I don't understand what I'm supposed to do.

As it says,
"To fully derive the benefits of sales tax exemption, the cardholder must exercise a certain degree of planning. Since hotel bills are the most common source of problems, ..."

Found this today, so this couple should have had a tax ID card. Now I know what to ask for. And there is a phone number I can call if I don't understand what I'm supposed to do..
See, there you go....people can't just claim to be a diplomat and be exempt from sales tax, they must have the card. And you would need their card number or something for a tax audit trail. My dad was a diplomat and there were regulations similar to this for travel abroad for U.S. diplomats.
People can say anything....doesn't make it true.........

Found this today, so this couple should have had a tax ID card. Now I know what to ask for. And there is a phone number I can call if I don't understand what I'm supposed to do..
See, there you go....people can't just claim to be a diplomat and be exempt from sales tax, they must have the card. And you would need their card number or something for a tax audit trail. My dad was a diplomat and there were regulations similar to this for travel abroad for U.S. diplomats.
Samster said:
NOW THAT is so true, so true!!!!

Back