Direct marketing report

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, here's the report so far...
Email sent today. 40% of distribution list opened email within the first 8 hours. What I have to find out is why it shows that some people opened the email 6-7 times at the same time. Does that mean they received 6-7 of the same email? Something in the email triggered an 'email opened' count? Maybe opening the email counts as one and then clicking in the email reader to see the pix counts as another? I have to ask that question. Maybe each picture embedded in the email counts as an 'open' in some readers?
3 people clicked thru to the website.
3 different people emailed me to wish me a Merry Christmas, send me pix and to say to keep them on the email list.
No one forwarded to a friend (using the link provided). No one clicked to check availability. Someone wants my recipe for fruit cobbler. (I know who, which is scary.)
So, there you have it. Not sure what it all means yet.

You say that "3 people clicked thru to the site". Would you mind telling how many people you sent it to total? I am just wondering what the percentage is. 3 out of 100 is different than 3 out of 1500... Or not??

You say that "3 people clicked thru to the site". Would you mind telling how many people you sent it to total? I am just wondering what the percentage is. 3 out of 100 is different than 3 out of 1500... Or not??.
total list was 65 repeat guests.

24 hours...
46% opened, 1 opt out, 1 more 'Merry Christmas to you' email.

24 hours...
46% opened, 1 opt out, 1 more 'Merry Christmas to you' email..
3 out of the 30 that have opened it so far have clicked on your web site. That's a 10% response. Even if the 35 don't open, 5% isn't bad for a direct marketing program.

24 hours...
3 out of the 30 that have opened it so far have clicked on your web site. That's a 10% response. Even if the 35 don't open, 5% isn't bad for a direct marketing program.
Thanks. I knew someone would know if this was good, bad or indifferent. Today's stats show me that the majority of the emails being opened will happen the first day. Since then, it's only been 1-2 additional openers each day. So, the timing of the email is important.

24 hours...
BTW, congrats on the sale of your inn. Hope you're enjoying your new life!

24 hours...
Often I miss the interaction with guests. I sure don't miss plunging toilets, cancelled reservations, trying to hire housekeeping staff. I wouldn't want to be an innkeeper in this economy

24 hours...
Often I miss the interaction with guests. I sure don't miss plunging toilets, cancelled reservations, trying to hire housekeeping staff. I wouldn't want to be an innkeeper in this economy
I have the opposite reaction to the economy so far. We had a good year this year although it's slowing down for the winter. I wouldn't want to find another job or start a new business right now.

24 hours...
Why?
What does economy have to do with it? Do you assume that all businesses are losing out because of the downturn in the economy? Maybe the higher end spa hotels are losing customers? Maybe the regular priced B&B's are gaining? WOuld be interesting to see some stats on it (which of course are prob not avail anywhere).
B&B's have held their own over this past year, I can tell you that much from my research and listening to people. In fact some have had their best year yet - sorry I should have warned you to sit down for that one. :)

24 hours...
Same here. We are slowed down for the winter, but have had a better year than last and am now open 2.5 years.

24 hours...
LIke the others, we are (knock on my head for wood) lucky enough to be doing great right now. I recall when studying hotel industry in college that the one thing they said was historically our industry does well during financial bad times, as people still save for that special trip, and the wealthy don't stop traveling.
I think what's saving us is our proximity to DC where they are not worried about losing their government jobs, and the nearby university. We also are getting a lot of people from Richmond which is only one hour away (not far in case of a babysitter emergency) but a different world (wine country vs historical city)
We sold more gift certificates this year and I would never have guessed what sold. In the past we sold the wine tours which are $125 per person. But since the B&B is opened we actually sold more of the B&B and wine tour combination packages. I would never have guessed that.
But for instance one was purchased by a group of 50 people in an insurance company in North Carolina for the owner of their property. This way it was very affordable for them to do something nice that they knew he and his wife would like.
Riki

24 hours...
LIke the others, we are (knock on my head for wood) lucky enough to be doing great right now. I recall when studying hotel industry in college that the one thing they said was historically our industry does well during financial bad times, as people still save for that special trip, and the wealthy don't stop traveling.
I think what's saving us is our proximity to DC where they are not worried about losing their government jobs, and the nearby university. We also are getting a lot of people from Richmond which is only one hour away (not far in case of a babysitter emergency) but a different world (wine country vs historical city)
We sold more gift certificates this year and I would never have guessed what sold. In the past we sold the wine tours which are $125 per person. But since the B&B is opened we actually sold more of the B&B and wine tour combination packages. I would never have guessed that.
But for instance one was purchased by a group of 50 people in an insurance company in North Carolina for the owner of their property. This way it was very affordable for them to do something nice that they knew he and his wife would like.
Riki
That is great! I am hearing more and more that our part of the valley is up for tourism for exactly those reasons. Proximity to D.C. So we are fortunate.

24 hours...
At this point in time, I cannot say anything about the economy and its effect on B & B. The B & Bs in ski country will have the first results, for the rest of us, it is normal to be S L OOOOO W. I actually have 3 paid roomnights (the 4th is the BOGO night) in December! Even in Podunk.
Come Spring we will start to get true indications here. 2008 has been my best ever and it was 30+% more than my previous best. I was busiest when gas pricest were at their peak.
Edited to correct this to be MY opinion removing the plural we.

24 hours...
Why?
What does economy have to do with it? Do you assume that all businesses are losing out because of the downturn in the economy? Maybe the higher end spa hotels are losing customers? Maybe the regular priced B&B's are gaining? WOuld be interesting to see some stats on it (which of course are prob not avail anywhere).
B&B's have held their own over this past year, I can tell you that much from my research and listening to people. In fact some have had their best year yet - sorry I should have warned you to sit down for that one. :)
I am getting a mixed response from my clients. I suspect it depends on where you are located and what market segments you draw from. Some of my clients are very worried,

24 hours...
Why?
I am getting a mixed response from my clients. I suspect it depends on where you are located and what market segments you draw from. Some of my clients are very worried,
Oh Absolutely. Lots of variables to consider

Maybe you can tell us some of the areas that are not doing well? Those "destination" B&B's perhaps? Where they used to get weekly rentals? I am curious to see what clients - without naming names or actual towns are struggling moreso now than before?

OK, it's been 5 days since I sent the email...
54% have opened it, 4 have checked the website using the links included, 4 have emailed wishing a Merry Christmas and excited about the new program for next year, 1 opt out. Many, many of the 'openers' have gone back on different days to look at the email again, which I think is good. They didn't just toss it out of hand.
So, if you pick the 'right' day, you get more openings, I would think. Most of the 54% opened the email within 8 hours.
Next time I try a different day of the week. And I may see more openings over the weekend, as more people check their personal email at home.
This has been an interesting experiment as I really thought more people would have opened it as they were, more or less, multiple repeats who like coming here. (Yeah, there was that one opt out exception, but she hasn't been here for 2 years.)
So, there you have my first try at 'mass marketing'! Hope this helps anyone else thinking of trying this out.
Obviously, if you have a different experience, it would be interesting to figure out why. I need to work on the email itself as it WAS a bit word-heavy and picture-light. The next one will be less wordy as this one was definitely targeted toward telling guests about a new program. The next one will be strictly 'here's what's happening and here's what we're offering.' Short and sweet, but different audience.
Forgot to mention that son of one of the guests who opened the email bought his parents a $300 GC on Wed, 2 days after the email went out.

OK, it's been 5 days since I sent the email...
54% have opened it, 4 have checked the website using the links included, 4 have emailed wishing a Merry Christmas and excited about the new program for next year, 1 opt out. Many, many of the 'openers' have gone back on different days to look at the email again, which I think is good. They didn't just toss it out of hand.
So, if you pick the 'right' day, you get more openings, I would think. Most of the 54% opened the email within 8 hours.
Next time I try a different day of the week. And I may see more openings over the weekend, as more people check their personal email at home.
This has been an interesting experiment as I really thought more people would have opened it as they were, more or less, multiple repeats who like coming here. (Yeah, there was that one opt out exception, but she hasn't been here for 2 years.)
So, there you have my first try at 'mass marketing'! Hope this helps anyone else thinking of trying this out.
Obviously, if you have a different experience, it would be interesting to figure out why. I need to work on the email itself as it WAS a bit word-heavy and picture-light. The next one will be less wordy as this one was definitely targeted toward telling guests about a new program. The next one will be strictly 'here's what's happening and here's what we're offering.' Short and sweet, but different audience.
Forgot to mention that son of one of the guests who opened the email bought his parents a $300 GC on Wed, 2 days after the email went out..
Thanks for the report. And you have already prospered from it
thumbs_up.gif
Yes, I would think a weekend mailout may be better as then they head back to work on Monday and dream about being at YOUR place. I have a large % of bookings on Monday and Tuesday.

Back