Directionally Challenged Guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
Seriously folks, we're out in the country (about 10 minutes from town) and the directions to our place are given in great detail on our website. With our printed website directions in hand, a GPS and maps printed from Google, Mapblast etc. AND with us talking them in on the cell phone, some people still manage to get lost!
confused_smile.gif

Most come straight here and when queried indicate that they had no trouble finding us. Then we get some.....well honestly, they should just stay home.
Anybody else encounter this?

We have some that were a block away, completely lost. Me on the phone with them: Um, see that road in front of you? Turn left. Now, pretty much immediately, turn left again. How will you know which house is the second house on the right? Look for the lady wearing the apron and waving at you....
=)
Kk.

Yes. Some sit out front and can't figure out how to get in - uh how about the front door? They call on their cell phones.

I like the ones who call and say "I'm at Jones Street"...ok, which direction are you facing? "What"? Well what do you see around you (7-11, bank, etc.). "I'm at JONES Street". Yes sir I know but I need to know which direction you are facing to tell you how to proceed...geesh!
The world has become entirely too reliant on GPS, Google directions, etc. Everyone should know how to read and follow a map.

I like the ones who call and say "I'm at Jones Street"...ok, which direction are you facing? "What"? Well what do you see around you (7-11, bank, etc.). "I'm at JONES Street". Yes sir I know but I need to know which direction you are facing to tell you how to proceed...geesh!
The world has become entirely too reliant on GPS, Google directions, etc. Everyone should know how to read and follow a map..
InnsiderInfo said:
The world has become entirely too reliant on GPS, Google directions, etc. Everyone should know how to read and follow a map.
The answer to that would be "an auto place"
Which auto place? Car dealer, auto parts store, repair?
"I don't know, something auto"
I don't think it has anything to do with a GPS as a GPS would bring them to our door! I think it has to do with people who have a mobile phone stuck to their ear who can't be bothered to think, they have to just call call call. I AIN'T YO PAPA!

I have 2 friends who are directionally challenged. Being one who was told by her Mother (many years after the divorce) - You are just like your Father, you can find your way anywhere. - it was difficult to fathom at first. But they literally have no concept of direction.
One story one of them tells on herself is: her husband was out-of-town on a job and she had a meeting so they were going to have breakfast together in the geographic center of our State. All she had to do was go the 6+ miles from our city on a road even she knows and go south on the Interstate to the correct exit. When she called him on his cell phone, he aswered with OK, where are you? Pennsylvania... Didn't you get a clue when you saw Fairmont and Morgantown? No but when I saw welcome to Pennsylvania I knew. She turned north at the Interstate!

Heck, I'm right in town and I get this all the time. There are 3 buildings with my number in a space of 3 miles and I get all sorts of calls, mostly from cab drivers who use GPS. GPS doesn't always know the difference between 'my street' and the stretch of rd just south of here that is a state highway.
If guests would use my directions, they'd get here ok, but they insist on using the GPS.

Heck, I'm right in town and I get this all the time. There are 3 buildings with my number in a space of 3 miles and I get all sorts of calls, mostly from cab drivers who use GPS. GPS doesn't always know the difference between 'my street' and the stretch of rd just south of here that is a state highway.
If guests would use my directions, they'd get here ok, but they insist on using the GPS..
Bree said:
If guests would use my directions, they'd get here ok, but they insist on using the GPS.
We have a similar problem. Our county, in its infinite wisdom, elected to create its own grid system for 911 addresses. This wonderful grid does not sync with the U.S. Geodetic Survey, Google, Mapblast etc. So, if any follow directions from any of these sources they will end up in a cow pasture or in the middle of a lake. I spell this out on the web page, in the reservation confirmation, on the phone and in subsequent emails (where I actually send the directions). It does no good. No one reads. Everyone thinks they know better. The still get lost.

I got a phone call Tuesday from a guest thanking me for the directions I gave them Monday to go to an attraction in the next City on their way home. She said they never would have found it without my directions as it was not marked anywhere! And this is a MAJOR attraction.

I got a phone call Tuesday from a guest thanking me for the directions I gave them Monday to go to an attraction in the next City on their way home. She said they never would have found it without my directions as it was not marked anywhere! And this is a MAJOR attraction..
The 'fun' part about driving here is that the major roads are not marked, but all the cross streets are. So, if you're on the wrong major road, you'll never know. Some towns do mark their 'main' streets, but not all of them. I think it's based a little on the Japanese philosophy...if you don't know where you are you don't belong here.

I got a phone call Tuesday from a guest thanking me for the directions I gave them Monday to go to an attraction in the next City on their way home. She said they never would have found it without my directions as it was not marked anywhere! And this is a MAJOR attraction..
gillumhouse said:
I got a phone call Tuesday from a guest thanking me for the directions I gave them Monday to go to an attraction in the next City on their way home. She said they never would have found it without my directions as it was not marked anywhere! And this is a MAJOR attraction.
Many of our roads aren't marked. However, the most confusing thing is that many of the minor roads have been renamed numerous times and the signs with all the different names are still up! The loop around our city has at least three different names.

Back