Directions to your B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What do you offer on your website for directions?
A google map with click here for directions to this spot?
A turn by turn list - does this include from outside your area or just once you get to town?
GPS Coordinates (which really are not necessary these days as GPS are loaded with addresses)
Anything else?
I am thinking of simplifying and making the directions just as you hit town. I knwo this is crazy to assume that guests actually know how to get here from 60 miles away +. They are always calling and it baffles me that they are calling from SO FAR OUT and asking where to turn.

We have a map showing our location, a mapquest link they can use to get directions from their starting point AND turn by turn directions coming from all major highways. I also send the turn by turn directions with my emailed confirmations.

Google map and clickable directions, plus turn by turn directions for once you get about 10 miles out. Most people with GPS systems are finding us no problem now, 3 years ago they were getting lots of wrong turns.

Funny that I have to add to my directions "Entry will be via the front door of the B&B" but I have too. People think they can come in from the back door - the kitchen door ALL THE TIME. It is ridiculous, it is a phenomena to me. I can't imagine going into someone's storm door uncovered kitchen door when there is a big front covered ENTRY on this house.
I did have "Come around to the front door of the B&B and ring bell" they still try to go in through the back.

I had to go look. I have a Google Map plus turn by turn from North, south, east, and west. and each ends with please park in front of the house. My confirmations say, please do not park in any of the parking lots arouind us as we do not own them. Please park in front of the house. Where do they park? in the Fire Dept. parking lot across the street.

Directions (North and South) from the nearest freeway.
Additional directions if taking the scenic route via Highway One (again, North and South).
And a link to mapquest for detailed directions from their starting point.
Photo on the location/directions page of the sign at the street in front of the inn as well as a map.

See I never even mention mapquest as I am a conspiracy theorist on them. Talk about guests arriving late - if they use mapquest it sends them as the crow flies as the closest route. Sure closet route might be right, but driving over entire mountains is not quick. Had guests arrive frazzled from FLA last week on a mapquest detour in the pitch dark to get here. I said "Why didn't you just drive on the highway?" They both looked confused...mapquest said... Then we all laughed.
Have you all done this? PIck a place and do google maps, mapquest and yahoo maps and get three entirely diff drive times and directions? It baffles me.

See I never even mention mapquest as I am a conspiracy theorist on them. Talk about guests arriving late - if they use mapquest it sends them as the crow flies as the closest route. Sure closet route might be right, but driving over entire mountains is not quick. Had guests arrive frazzled from FLA last week on a mapquest detour in the pitch dark to get here. I said "Why didn't you just drive on the highway?" They both looked confused...mapquest said... Then we all laughed.
Have you all done this? PIck a place and do google maps, mapquest and yahoo maps and get three entirely diff drive times and directions? It baffles me..
Joey Bloggs said:
Have you all done this? PIck a place and do google maps, mapquest and yahoo maps and get three entirely diff drive times and directions? It baffles me.
YEP, it happens all the time! And you can count on Mapquest giving you at least 1 wrong turn everytime they give you directions. I wonder how they keep up with the directions? We have a road near us that you cannot make a left turn at anymore (for 6 years...) but mapquest as well as gps will still tell you to turn left there! Hubs. was working out of state when they changed that and when he came home it was super early in the morning and he didn't notice the little sign saying no left so he made the usual left and a cop gave him a ticket ( and a hard time because he was in a rental with out of state plates).

Have you all done this? PIck a place and do google maps, mapquest and yahoo maps and get three entirely diff drive times and directions? It baffles me..
You're right.

But as for which is the better choice, I think it depends on the area. In our area, google maps always sends folks up some private road or driveway. They're just always wrong.

Mapquest can often be wrong as well, but in our particular area, we found them to be more reliable than google maps.

Which is why I think having your own directions, at least from the closest freeway/major road, is always a good idea.

• Interactive Google map that is set up with this as the final address (Peeves me to no end when I try to use the interactive map on someone else's site but they did not set it up with the address. How do I know what their address is???)
  • Local map that gives an overview of the town (not interactive)
  • Turn by turn directions when they exit the interstate, general directions up to that point. (ie- Take I 91 north to I 89 north. Take I 89 to exit 10. Turn right onto Rt 2 east. Take Rt 2 east to Richmond. Then the directions get down to turn left, turn right, go .3 of a mile, etc.) I assume they can find I 91/I 89 and figure out north from south, altho I have 3 sets of directions: from the north, from the south, from the airport)
  • GPS coordinates
Printable map with directions and phone number also available on website.
Large photo of sign they will see as they approach.

Ahhhh Mapquest! I request in my directions or on the phone, please use MY directions NOT MAPQUEST!!!
#1 - Mapquest has me located on the wrong side of US Rt 19 - and on a one-way in the wrong direction for a turn around and come back across the highway at which time they will still be on a one-way but now in the correct directionas they cross the highway
#2 - with the as the crow flies, it takes them off the Interstate 10 miles north and brings them down a local commuter route that is fine for locals, but even locals avoid it at night - narrow, twisty, no shoulder, dark, and in many places no center or lines at the side of the road.

All you need:
1) A link to Google Maps with your address in the To: box. They can fill in the from box on their own. I would stay away from mapquest, their interface and direction can be quirky at times. (For those with no GPS.)
2) Your address and directions to your address from a nearby intersection. (For the rest of the world.)

Back