Directions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a 3D "helicopter view" preview of your driving route on@googlemaps w/ the@googleearth plug-in http://goo.gl/SnLGR
For those who live in NON FLAT places, this should be terrific! I wonder if we can embed on our websites? I am going to research further and let ya know, anyone else please share your findings! Tah.
AMAZING! I am looking at it now, from our nearby city! This is too cool. You need to have google earth on your pc it is way neat!

It worked from the regular Google Maps website when I clicked "View Larger Map" in the lower left corner of your image. Yes, very cool. Definitely need to look into a way to embed it, or include a link to it in an e-mail to people.
Some will no doubt complain that you caused them airsickness
pita.gif

Check this out (if you can click the 2D button) this is from our house to a local famous music venue that some people find beyond their flatlander ability to drive. Others scoff it off and act like it is no big deal. It is not far, just windy as you go up and onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. Interesting toward the end if you stick with it you will see the infamous Shooting Creek Road. The terrain does not look as severe as google earth takes the images in the wintertime, so all the farmland appears as brown or beige, not tall corn etc.
View Larger Map
and here it is on motorcycle - which looks mild, but there is a creek on the right side and you are going down a pretty good grade.

"I thought we would never get here!" Why - because they used mapquest. My site & confirmation says use OUR directions we KNOW WHERE WE ARE!!! Come on people!
Then of course more questions: I pull the car any closer? Where's the office?.
copperhead said:
"I thought we would never get here!"
If I had a pound for every time I've heard that. Two GPS problems here:-
1) Our postcode for some strange reason is centred about half a mile down the road, so when GPS says "arriving at destination" we're nowhere in sight.
2) there is a direct route from the main Highlands road, the A9, to our village but it's a single track country road with passing spaces. GPSs assume you can do 50mph down this road so think it's a short cut, you can't and it's not. This is a very narrow, windy road and it scares the h@@@ out of some people, especially some Americans.
So our confirmation says "if using a satnav please be aware that........"
Do they read it..........
Highlands John said:
copperhead said:
If I had a pound for every time I've heard that. Two GPS problems here:- 1) Our postcode for some strange reason is centred about half a mile down the road, so when GPS says "arriving at destination" we're nowhere in sight. 2) there is a direct route from the main Highlands road, the A9, to our village but it's a single track country road with passing spaces. GPSs assume you can do 50mph down this road so think it's a short cut, you can't and it's not. This is a very narrow, windy road and it scares the h@@@ out of some people, especially some Americans. So our confirmation says "if using a satnav please be aware that........" Do they read it..........
That sounds like the people who follow MapQuest instead of my directions. They must have said shortest route because it takes them off the Interstate 8 miles too soon, then proceeds to bring them down a narrow almost 2-lane road that locals use - mostly in daylight only - that twists and turns and has NO shoulder. If you drift too far on either side you are in a ditch. They arrive bug-eyed and white knuckled as they usually arrive after dark.
Recent conversation over the phone:
Guest: We're travelling up from Glasgow so we should be there in about 2 hours.
Me: It's going to take you about 3.5 hours from Glasgow.
Guest: Google Maps says 2 hours.
Me: We're about 3.5 hours from Glasgow.
Guest: I went onto Google Maps and checked it before we left.
Me: It's definately going to be at least 3 hours.
Guest: I printed the directions off from Google Maps, I have them infront of me.
In the end I just gave up and said "We'll see you in a couple of hours then".
4 hours later they arrive, "You were right".
<fx: screams in my head>Of Course I'm bloody right, I live here, I've driven that route a dozen times at least</fx>

"I thought we would never get here!" Why - because they used mapquest. My site & confirmation says use OUR directions we KNOW WHERE WE ARE!!! Come on people!
Then of course more questions: I pull the car any closer? Where's the office?.
copperhead said:
If I had a pound for every time I've heard that. Two GPS problems here:-
1) Our postcode for some strange reason is centred about half a mile down the road, so when GPS says "arriving at destination" we're nowhere in sight.
2) there is a direct route from the main Highlands road, the A9, to our village but it's a single track country road with passing spaces. GPSs assume you can do 50mph down this road so think it's a short cut, you can't and it's not. This is a very narrow, windy road and it scares the h@@@ out of some people, especially some Americans.
So our confirmation says "if using a satnav please be aware that........"
Do they read it..........
Highlands John said:
copperhead said:
If I had a pound for every time I've heard that. Two GPS problems here:- 1) Our postcode for some strange reason is centred about half a mile down the road, so when GPS says "arriving at destination" we're nowhere in sight. 2) there is a direct route from the main Highlands road, the A9, to our village but it's a single track country road with passing spaces. GPSs assume you can do 50mph down this road so think it's a short cut, you can't and it's not. This is a very narrow, windy road and it scares the h@@@ out of some people, especially some Americans. So our confirmation says "if using a satnav please be aware that........" Do they read it..........
That sounds like the people who follow MapQuest instead of my directions. They must have said shortest route because it takes them off the Interstate 8 miles too soon, then proceeds to bring them down a narrow almost 2-lane road that locals use - mostly in daylight only - that twists and turns and has NO shoulder. If you drift too far on either side you are in a ditch. They arrive bug-eyed and white knuckled as they usually arrive after dark.
Guest: I printed the directions off from Google Maps, I have them infront of me.
<fx: screams in my head>Of Course I'm bloody right, I live here, I've driven that route a dozen times at least</fx>
Highlands John said:
Hahaha! don't you just LOVE it when they know better than you because they've RESEARCHED it?!?!

Back