Directions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Okay this is such an iffy subject now with people NOT printing our directions, and using a GPS.
I have directions on the confirmation page, that every guest receives, and also again 3 days prior to arrival. A guest told me that he printed the directions from my website and it printed on 4 pages.
Now, let me share this with yall. The "location page" which says "How to Find us" has the directions on it, yes, amongst all the other tid bits of info and maps (for all of those highly intelligent guests to tell me we have MOVED this 115+ year old house, and it is NOT where we say it in, in this small town, righ there!) There is also a link to use google maps on this page.
So do ya think a person could cut n paste the 3 short paragraph actual directions from the locations page? Or better yet, print out the confirmation that has the directions on it as well.
No matter what we do in this biz, there are those who cannot fathom, how do we park in the rear? How do we enter the front door? How do we get to the front door? THE MAIN BLINKIN' ENTRANCE!
How are we supposed to bring our bags upstairs?
All I can do is do what I would do for the most simple person and hope the rest can figure it out. I always wonder how a person can find a place to book and not know where it is. This is odd.

I don't get it either. We had a red button link to a PDF form for folks to print ONE PAGE for the directions and they'd arrive with the whole website printed out!
My mother used to say, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."
Bless their hearts....

"I thought we would never get here!" Why - because they used mapquest. My site & confirmation says use OUR directions we KNOW WHERE WE ARE!!! Come on people!
Then of course more questions: I pull the car any closer? Where's the office?

I had 2 people in the last week use GPS. SO where is the "best" place to put DO NOT USE GPS! ?

I feel very fortunate that both Google Maps and GPS coordinates successfully take people precisely to my building's front door. It helps to live in a small town, I guess. Only 3 roads into town and I'm right on "main street".

Why it work for you is because you are in town. I am not in town but outside, and GPS sends them in town.

we put on every confirmation an attachment map and attachment how to get into the car park and we have a decent size sign saying car park round the back and they still pull up round the front and ask where the car park is.

we put on every confirmation an attachment map and attachment how to get into the car park and we have a decent size sign saying car park round the back and they still pull up round the front and ask where the car park is..
we put on every confirmation an attachment map and attachment how to get into the car park and we have a decent size sign saying car park round the back and they still pull up round the front and ask where the car park is.
We do nearly the same thing and actually include the CORRECT GPS coordinates. They still get lost (didn't bother to print the directions or if they did, didn't read them) and they still to not know where to park even though the arrow sign that says "Parking" is clearly visible and the spaces for their cottages are clearly marked and even lit at night.
Maybe we should add to our directions: "If you don't follow our directions, we are not responsible if you get lost. If you don't show up, we're keeping your money so tough toenails!"

we put on every confirmation an attachment map and attachment how to get into the car park and we have a decent size sign saying car park round the back and they still pull up round the front and ask where the car park is..
We do nearly the same thing and actually include the CORRECT GPS coordinates. They still get lost (didn't bother to print the directions or if they did, didn't read them) and they still to not know where to park even though the arrow sign that says "Parking" is clearly visible and the spaces for their cottages are clearly marked and even lit at night.
Maybe we should add to our directions: "If you don't follow our directions, we are not responsible if you get lost. If you don't show up, we're keeping your money so tough toenails!"
Reminds me of the exam I used to give on reading comprehension, when I was a teacher.
First instruction; "Read the entire page, before beginning."
And the last instruction on the page; "Please disregard all the previous steps and simply write your name and next to it the time you finished and hand it in."
You know, they should have been done in about 10 minutes or less. I never did get out of the room in under an hour.

Reminds me of the exam I used to give on reading comprehension, when I was a teacher.
And the last instruction on the page; "Please disregard all the previous steps and simply write your name and next to it the time you finished and hand it in."
You know, they should have been done in about 10 minutes or less. I never did get out of the room in under an hour.
Now, that's funny!!!!
cheers.gif

Went for a job interview like this once where they asked you to hand write your covering letter. I was curious why so when asked do you have any other questions said why? they said two reasons 1 we want to make sure you have legible handwriting as we all have to read it and 2 make sure you follow instructions properly anyone who typed it went straight in the bin. I had wondered if one of them as an amatour (can't remember the word but handwriting analyst) as a lot of the top firms are using this to distinguish between candidates if it is close.

Went for a job interview like this once where they asked you to hand write your covering letter. I was curious why so when asked do you have any other questions said why? they said two reasons 1 we want to make sure you have legible handwriting as we all have to read it and 2 make sure you follow instructions properly anyone who typed it went straight in the bin. I had wondered if one of them as an amatour (can't remember the word but handwriting analyst) as a lot of the top firms are using this to distinguish between candidates if it is close.
I once went for a job interview where they gave me one of those infamous Reid integrity tests. (I linked to the new company's website, it's been bought and resold often, but it's still basically the same Reid Report.) One hundred questions in duplicate form to test your honesty and integrity... and I was being hired for a job that paid minimum wage plus a 25c bonus for getting someone to apply for a credit card.
Sometimes corporations just have too much time and money on their hands.

Ha ha, made me smile.
Friends of ours with a bandb had people stay who left a rather unpleasant review on bookings dot com. Their primary whinge was that the house was out in the middle of nowhere down a country lane.
Now, given that one of our friends key marketing points is "look at us in a quiet rural location surrounded by mountains" it seemed ridiculous to complain about this. (and they emailed the people and told them so)
Like you Joey, I said to my friends "your house is in the same place it was when they booked, it's not like you moved it!!".

My sister had a job where every time they advertised a vacancy they had so many applicants it was neigh on impossible to read them all, so the first thing they did was put any application letters that weren't in blue ink in the bin, just to get the number down to a manageable size.

"I thought we would never get here!" Why - because they used mapquest. My site & confirmation says use OUR directions we KNOW WHERE WE ARE!!! Come on people!
Then of course more questions: I pull the car any closer? Where's the office?.
copperhead said:
"I thought we would never get here!"
If I had a pound for every time I've heard that. Two GPS problems here:-
1) Our postcode for some strange reason is centred about half a mile down the road, so when GPS says "arriving at destination" we're nowhere in sight.
2) there is a direct route from the main Highlands road, the A9, to our village but it's a single track country road with passing spaces. GPSs assume you can do 50mph down this road so think it's a short cut, you can't and it's not. This is a very narrow, windy road and it scares the h@@@ out of some people, especially some Americans.
So our confirmation says "if using a satnav please be aware that........"
Do they read it..........

copperhead said:
1) Our postcode for some strange reason is centred about half a mile down the road, so when GPS says "arriving at destination" we're nowhere in sight.
2) there is a direct route from the main Highlands road, the A9, to our village but it's a single track country road with passing spaces. GPSs assume you can do 50mph down this road so think it's a short cut, you can't and it's not. This is a very narrow, windy road and it scares the h@@@ out of some people, especially some Americans.
Highlands John said:
"if using a satnav please be aware that........"
And the Americans think, "Glad we have a GPS instead of one of those satnav things, whatever they are."
Last year in Ireland our GPS took us down those one-lane back roads many times, thinking it was the shortest route. It WAS a bit unnerving, but afterward we realized what nice scenery we saw and what an adventure it was. When you're traveling abroad, anything you see will be new and wonderful, as long as you get to your destination in a fairly timely manner.

Ha ha, made me smile.
Friends of ours with a bandb had people stay who left a rather unpleasant review on bookings dot com. Their primary whinge was that the house was out in the middle of nowhere down a country lane.
Now, given that one of our friends key marketing points is "look at us in a quiet rural location surrounded by mountains" it seemed ridiculous to complain about this. (and they emailed the people and told them so)
Like you Joey, I said to my friends "your house is in the same place it was when they booked, it's not like you moved it!!"..
Highlands John said:
Their primary whinge was that the house was out in the middle of nowhere down a country lane. Now, given that one of our friends key marketing points is "look at us in a quiet rural location surrounded by mountains" it seemed ridiculous to complain about this. .
Aaaaaaah....the story of my life!

I had guests during "LEE" in the cottage which has a tin roof.
There are songs written about "Rain on a tin roof" it is awfully romantic. When I mentioned this as they were getting coffee the next morning she acted put out, and responded like I was "apologizing" for the gorgeous sound of rain on a tin roof, which I was not! not in the least. I felt they had the best seat in the house during that storm!
I am NOT, I repeat, NOT responsible for the weather. I did not place the moon and stars in the sky either! Someone else did. :)

I had guests during "LEE" in the cottage which has a tin roof.
There are songs written about "Rain on a tin roof" it is awfully romantic. When I mentioned this as they were getting coffee the next morning she acted put out, and responded like I was "apologizing" for the gorgeous sound of rain on a tin roof, which I was not! not in the least. I felt they had the best seat in the house during that storm!
I am NOT, I repeat, NOT responsible for the weather. I did not place the moon and stars in the sky either! Someone else did. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
I am NOT, I repeat, NOT responsible for the weather.
EVERYBODY complains about the weather. Our best friends own a small resort on one of our county's rivers. When the river's up from rains they've had guests seriously complain about the gravel bars being under water!

copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
copperhead said:
If I had a pound for every time I've heard that. Two GPS problems here:- 1) Our postcode for some strange reason is centred about half a mile down the road, so when GPS says "arriving at destination" we're nowhere in sight. 2) there is a direct route from the main Highlands road, the A9, to our village but it's a single track country road with passing spaces. GPSs assume you can do 50mph down this road so think it's a short cut, you can't and it's not. This is a very narrow, windy road and it scares the h@@@ out of some people, especially some Americans. So our confirmation says "if using a satnav please be aware that........" Do they read it..........
That sounds like the people who follow MapQuest instead of my directions. They must have said shortest route because it takes them off the Interstate 8 miles too soon, then proceeds to bring them down a narrow almost 2-lane road that locals use - mostly in daylight only - that twists and turns and has NO shoulder. If you drift too far on either side you are in a ditch. They arrive bug-eyed and white knuckled as they usually arrive after dark.

Back