Directories that are a bunch of fluff

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Have you noticed all the new directories vying for our hard earned cash? Most of them (like another innkeeper mentioned) don't even show up on page 1, 2, 3 or 4 of google. For that, they are useless and a bunch of fluff.
I have noticed that not all directories are equal, no matter what they tell you, no matter how much they say over and over they have the stats to prove it! That the click throughs are out of this world. In some instances one directory works better than another and some not at all. Have you seen a shift in the directories you subscribe to?
It seems to be that as our guests becoming more internet savvy the directories are being used less and less. Are they using TA more perhaps? They google a location or view a map and google it - so our search terms should include surrounding areas for them to find us.
What changes have you noticed in this arena?

Joey Bloggs said:
It seems to be that as our guests becoming more internet savvy the directories are being used less and less. Are they using TA more perhaps? They google a location or view a map and google it - so our search terms should include surrounding areas for them to find us.
The directories certainly have their place - as long as they're really bringing business, that is.
But I think more and more guests are bypassing them altogether these days. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that a growing number of guests don't even know about the directories, much less use them. They just go straight to TA.

Joey Bloggs said:
The directories certainly have their place - as long as they're really bringing business, that is.
But I think more and more guests are bypassing them altogether these days. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that a growing number of guests don't even know about the directories, much less use them. They just go straight to TA..
Do you have a property listed on directories? I thought that you were an interim innkeeper?

Joey Bloggs said:
But I think more and more guests are bypassing them altogether these days. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that a growing number of guests don't even know about the directories, much less use them. They just go straight to TA..
I'm getting junk mail from so many new directories and they all claim to be the up and coming and none of them have an answer for me when I ask them why the heck I should give them any money when they don't show up on page one.
Riki

Joey Bloggs said:
I'm getting junk mail from so many new directories and they all claim to be the up and coming and none of them have an answer for me when I ask them why the heck I should give them any money when they don't show up on page one.
Riki
That's because they know that there's really no good answer to that question.
They're either effective or they're not.
Unfortunately, even if they're not effective for you, they're still going to ask for your money...

Joey Bloggs said:
I could not agree with you more. We have literally canceled most if not all of the usual directories, expect for B&B.com, since they are our tie into Expedia - and since we do tons of Expedia bookings it is worth paying for. In our experience, Google to find something, TA to verify it's not a disaster, and head to the website to book online. This is my opinion only, everyone has their own ideas on what's right for them. But some of the rates they are charging these days is just not worth it. With the onslaught of Twitter and Facebook and our blogs, we have some opportunities for marketing that was never available before to the average guy.

The tactics that some of them are going to to get you roped in is unbelievable especially a couple that I once (long ago) was gullible enough to belong to.
Bell h-o-p dot com is one. They kept my info online for years(minus contact info) after i quite paying (1 yr membership), no inquires for several years but then several months ago received 2-3 'inquiry' emails from their site..BUT to get the info I had to pay for membership. NOT happening. I sent them an email to remove my listing. Nothing, then the 2nd and 3rd inquiries came in then I emailed them and told them they had no right to use MY B&B to promote THEIR site and to remove it. That hit home and they replied that we would be removed if we would like OR they would be happy to extend us a 3 month FREE trial. (the free trial required me to provide CC info for after the trial) Please!
Then there is R-E-A-L adventures who again we were members several years ago. They have kept our info again minus contact info. Suddenly in the last week I have received inquires from their site. They do provide email addresses (on their site) with a list of inquires - funny there is a long list but I have only received 2 emails indicating a request for info. I sent out replies to those last few, NOTHING. They will be receiving an email to remove my listing as well.
Both sites are most likely sending out bogus inquires to attempt to rope me back in thinking they are really attracting potential guests. Oh, and one of the 2 (thing it was the 2nd one) also sent out an email stating (not a quote) 'are these inquires real? YES!' Makes me think - NOT!

The tactics that some of them are going to to get you roped in is unbelievable especially a couple that I once (long ago) was gullible enough to belong to.
Bell h-o-p dot com is one. They kept my info online for years(minus contact info) after i quite paying (1 yr membership), no inquires for several years but then several months ago received 2-3 'inquiry' emails from their site..BUT to get the info I had to pay for membership. NOT happening. I sent them an email to remove my listing. Nothing, then the 2nd and 3rd inquiries came in then I emailed them and told them they had no right to use MY B&B to promote THEIR site and to remove it. That hit home and they replied that we would be removed if we would like OR they would be happy to extend us a 3 month FREE trial. (the free trial required me to provide CC info for after the trial) Please!
Then there is R-E-A-L adventures who again we were members several years ago. They have kept our info again minus contact info. Suddenly in the last week I have received inquires from their site. They do provide email addresses (on their site) with a list of inquires - funny there is a long list but I have only received 2 emails indicating a request for info. I sent out replies to those last few, NOTHING. They will be receiving an email to remove my listing as well.
Both sites are most likely sending out bogus inquires to attempt to rope me back in thinking they are really attracting potential guests. Oh, and one of the 2 (thing it was the 2nd one) also sent out an email stating (not a quote) 'are these inquires real? YES!' Makes me think - NOT!.
I got an e-mail from top10innsdotcom this morning with an invoice for $120. It is the company that used to own webervations. I have no recollection of signing up for that site and I have no intention of paying that invoice. I m waiting to discover when my weber runs out. I think I am going to switch over to the one JB is using. She seems pleased with it - and when it comes to online rez, she ain't easy to please so it must be pretty good.
It is amazing how many places we end up being listed that we have no idea about.

We are not big enough yet to order things but down the road since we put a bottle of sparkling wine in the room, and since I plan to do elopments, will get champagne glasses with log on. Right now I have jewlrey sets from a local artist here and sell a "Sweetheart Package" which includes the lady picking out a jewlrey set and those are booking well.
Other than that I just have the vinotherapy product for sale which sells well. Skin and hair care made with the oils of the wine grape.
And handmade soaps.
I plan to get mugs later too
RIki

Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Joey Bloggs said:
But I think more and more guests are bypassing them altogether these days. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that a growing number of guests don't even know about the directories, much less use them. They just go straight to TA.
I think they go straight to Google! At least, the smart ones do...
=)
Kk.

This may be kinda off topic but here goes. I've started using Eventective.com for wedding and group leads. The cost of a lead is $2.50 or $5.00. I recently paid $2.50 for a wedding lead, I contacted the bride to be and got "the job". That $2.50 lead will result in $3,000 in business. I do not have any ownership or financial interest in that company, I'm only saying how it has financially benefiited my inn. Check it out for yourself.

This may be kinda off topic but here goes. I've started using Eventective.com for wedding and group leads. The cost of a lead is $2.50 or $5.00. I recently paid $2.50 for a wedding lead, I contacted the bride to be and got "the job". That $2.50 lead will result in $3,000 in business. I do not have any ownership or financial interest in that company, I'm only saying how it has financially benefiited my inn. Check it out for yourself..
Tomtrex said:
This may be kinda off topic but here goes. I've started using Eventective.com for wedding and group leads. The cost of a lead is $2.50 or $5.00. I recently paid $2.50 for a wedding lead, I contacted the bride to be and got "the job". That $2.50 lead will result in $3,000 in business. I do not have any ownership or financial interest in that company, I'm only saying how it has financially benefiited my inn. Check it out for yourself.
Tomtrex thank you for sharing, we ALL get these emails and I have not known anyone who has used them. Thanks this is good stuff.

This may be kinda off topic but here goes. I've started using Eventective.com for wedding and group leads. The cost of a lead is $2.50 or $5.00. I recently paid $2.50 for a wedding lead, I contacted the bride to be and got "the job". That $2.50 lead will result in $3,000 in business. I do not have any ownership or financial interest in that company, I'm only saying how it has financially benefiited my inn. Check it out for yourself..
I think that service, eventective.com, would be a good one to sign up for if you do events. Unfortunately, they always send me stuff that doesn't meet the very stringent parameters I have for myself - like a 4-yr-old's birthday party for $50. They allow a search within a certain radius of a location, so if you're near a city or area that might generate a lot of event holders it would be worthwhile.

Both sites are most likely sending out bogus inquires to attempt to rope me back in thinking they are really attracting potential guests. Oh, and one of the 2 (thing it was the 2nd one) also sent out an email stating (not a quote) 'are these inquires real? YES!' Makes me think - NOT!.
copperhead said:
Both sites are most likely sending out bogus inquires to attempt to rope me back in thinking they are really attracting potential guests. Oh, and one of the 2 (thing it was the 2nd one) also sent out an email stating (not a quote) 'are these inquires real? YES!' Makes me think - NOT!
They have a new email address and contacted me again today. They have already taken the liberty of uploading my info to their site, I just need to add some pix. They know I want the business and they know they can help so I have a free trial for 2 weeks. It will be interesting to see how many hits and bookings I get in those 2 weeks as I cannot find my listing.

I have just signed up for Group Accomodation.com (dont know if they do us) but they appeal to family groups rather than horrid stag and hen stuff you pay a flat fee but if you want extra promo you can pay as an when you want add on's ie for quiet months. It has done very well for a friend of mine so we are seeing. It is my gamble for this year.

It is spam, which is why this old post came up again, and now again. People reply to old posts and keep them current. Someone comes on and drops links all over, spam.

Back