Directories to add or drop in 2010

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
  1. Would you care to share you experience with different B&B directories from last year - which ones were winners, which ones were iffy?
  2. Do you plan to add any new this year or drop any?
  3. Will you change you reservation system or credit card processing method?

Almost ALL of the directories I'm on fell off by up to 50% last year. (Before anyone thinks this may be a data error, it has been 'confirmed' by talking with other innkeepers on the same directories and in the same town.)
Exceptions...bbonline, bandb.com, ilove inns. These were either up or fairly even with the previous year. (For me, not necessarily for everyone.)
My state tourism site was down 14%, my local site was down 30%, my state assoc site was down 36%.
I have added some 'different' streams this year, not directories per se. As in, they have an online presence but you'd be hard pressed to find it. Their usefulness to me will be in printed material at visitor centers. (And yes, here that sort of thing makes a difference.)
I have already dropped 3 directories that just were not bringing in enough business or referrals. One is local, the other 2 are national.
I have a spreadsheet with the data. What position the directory is in the referrer list, how much it costs, up or down trending.
Not changing online rez system or cc processing.

I am dropping Purple Roofs. All I gained with a paid listing was words and pictures. S (as in Shinnston) comes way down the alphabet and every city that comes before shi alpabetically is listed BEFORE me even if they are free listings. I told them that paid means position and they told me paid means more info on their site. So I told them when my listing expires it is no longer paid. I got more from THAT listing (paid rez I mean) when I was a free listing. Thinking about others.

I'm only on two paid so will be adding. I'm on the fence without much time left to see about paying for the TripAdvisor Link. Last I looked one in my town has done it - their number 1 for my town. I've fought up to being number 2 so may have to swallow hard and cough up the $300.
Otherwise, I'll be googling my town to see what else to add.
Riki

The only paid ones we do are bbonline, local association, a wedding directory and a local state B&B directory (only because it didn't cost much)
We dropped bandb.com (tired of the price increases and other hassles) and the local chambers this year (one didn't perform at all, one was giving free banner ads and plugging a new local HOTEL that touts itself as a b&b, but they weren't plugging any of the local B&B's when we were paying for the service! ).
The rest of our listings are free. Not planning on any new listings.
We currently use Resnexus/Sam's for merchant services.
According to our stats, google and our local VCB far out perform any paid directory listings and we do get most of our bookings from those two sources. I really think aTripadvisor link would be the next thing...I'd guess it would probably be in the top three if we added it.

The only paid ones we do are bbonline, local association, a wedding directory and a local state B&B directory (only because it didn't cost much)
We dropped bandb.com (tired of the price increases and other hassles) and the local chambers this year (one didn't perform at all, one was giving free banner ads and plugging a new local HOTEL that touts itself as a b&b, but they weren't plugging any of the local B&B's when we were paying for the service! ).
According to our stats, google and our local VCB far out perform any paid directory listings and we do get most of our bookings from those two sources. I really think aTripadvisor link would be the next thing...I'd guess it would probably be in the top three if we added it..
Er......What it a VCB?
Kesous

According to our stats, google and our local VCB far out perform any paid directory listings and we do get most of our bookings from those two sources. I really think aTripadvisor link would be the next thing...I'd guess it would probably be in the top three if we added it..
Er......What it a VCB?
Kesous
VCB = Visitor Center Bureau

Er......What it a VCB?
Kesous
Ahhhh. Of course. thanks! Luckily for me we already have a great relationship with our local VCB!
--Kesous

I'm only on two paid so will be adding. I'm on the fence without much time left to see about paying for the TripAdvisor Link. Last I looked one in my town has done it - their number 1 for my town. I've fought up to being number 2 so may have to swallow hard and cough up the $300.
Riki.
What exactly would I be Receiving If I signed up and paid $300 on trip advisor?
How does it differ from just a straight listing?

Riki.
A link to your website.

Riki.
Hi Josh! Long time...
All you get is the link to your website from your page on TA (NOT the city page, btw, the guest still has to click to look at your listing), a phone number and a link to send you an email.
Most small properties don't have anything like this now. If someone can book your place directly from TA, it might not be worth it. Altho, if it cuts down on those 30% commissions, it might be.
Here is someone in your area and what they have.

Er......What it a VCB?
Kesous
Ahhhh. Of course. thanks! Luckily for me we already have a great relationship with our local VCB!
--Kesous
We call ours a CVB = Convention & Visitors Bureau.

I am dropping iloveinns after years of virtually no business from them. I have added the Trip Advisor paid link, so I will determine from my statz reports if this ends up beneficial at all. First year is always growing pains etc - so if they offer a second year discount I will prob go with it, if it is full price I would have to make the decision at that time. I have found NO directories worthy of $600 for - this inn.
For this month alone...so far half way through it- google has been the major hitter on my stats four times more than the next listing. Then bbonline second, bedandbreakfast.com is #11, iloveinns not even showing up as having a single click through.
The blog is having some click thru action. But that is free - so I will continue to use that as much as possible for the link love and key words and it is a guest amenity imo when it displays events they may choose to enjoy or book a room due to the event being posted there or extend their stay.

I am dropping iloveinns after years of virtually no business from them. I have added the Trip Advisor paid link, so I will determine from my statz reports if this ends up beneficial at all. First year is always growing pains etc - so if they offer a second year discount I will prob go with it, if it is full price I would have to make the decision at that time. I have found NO directories worthy of $600 for - this inn.
For this month alone...so far half way through it- google has been the major hitter on my stats four times more than the next listing. Then bbonline second, bedandbreakfast.com is #11, iloveinns not even showing up as having a single click through.
The blog is having some click thru action. But that is free - so I will continue to use that as much as possible for the link love and key words and it is a guest amenity imo when it displays events they may choose to enjoy or book a room due to the event being posted there or extend their stay..
Joey Bloggs said:
I am dropping iloveinns after years of virtually no business from them.
Joey, I'm shocked....your alter ego Joe Bloggs said that you can't not be in a major directory, if all your competition is there!

The blog is having some click thru action. But that is free - so I will continue to use that as much as possible for the link love and key words and it is a guest amenity imo when it displays events they may choose to enjoy or book a room due to the event being posted there or extend their stay..
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey, I'm shocked....your alter ego Joe Bloggs said that you can't not be in a major directory, if all your competition is there!
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Huh? I have no competition. I am the only B&B here. Sure you meant me? If you are in a high occup area with many inns, I would agree with that 100%. Not for this inn right here, however.

Joey Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Only game in town, imagine that!

Joey Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Huh? I have no competition. I am the only B&B here. Sure you meant me? If you are in a high occup area with many inns, I would agree with that 100%. Not for this inn right here, however.
Joey Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
FINALLY, after searching all darn day, I found where your male alter ego said it:

Joe Bloggs
wrote:

"In fact there are a couple (directories) I have continued with and can see no revenue from them at all. If others are on them, then stick with them. You have no choice, I mean you don't want to NOT be seen every place they are seen."
as seen at: https://www.innspiring.com/node/3306

Here is the thread and reply to an innkeeper who has TONS of competition:
InnsiderInfo wrote:
As many of you know from my previous posts, the innkeepers in this area are all indeed like a flock of sheep...they all have to do what everyone else is doing, regardless of whether it's effective or not.
So I think they are all listed because they are all listed! I don't want to have a knee-jerk reaction (which is my usual, I like to do whatever the others are NOT doing!) but I don't want to lose out either.
That brings us back to not knowing how a guest truly got from point a to point b. For a couple years I specifically called a special by a name that pertained only to that directory so I could track it. When I myself look at booking a weekend away, I have seen the BnB numerous times on numerous directories before I pick up the phone and call or book from their website. I think it is a mistake if you drop one when the rest are on it. As long as it is a major directory that comes up in the first 5 or 6 on searches in google. If it is a smaller and inconsequential, then I would drop it for sure. I commented on another thread to the Hawaii Innkeeper that I am staying on iloveinns for that same reason. I have yet to see a return on the money. When everyone dropped lanier I was new to lanier and decided to give it a shot - it didn't pan out so I dropped it 2 years later. We need to go with the flow when necessary. If there is another you think might be beneficial and you are choosing between an apparent dog and a new one, go for it (I WOULD)."
Again, back to today Jan152010 I agree with the same sentiment. I get emails and calls pleading to not let the directories lapse and they are not even in the top 10 on my referral list. So I traded in the dog - for TA and here's hoping it is not a dog.

Back