Directories...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Here I am again. Wondering if I need to cut the apron strings to a directory. BnBfinder. I am just bot getting bookings via directories at all these days...do I remove myself, or keep paying...it is always a decision to be made. Seems like a no brainer, but ARE people finding us there and then booking on our website?
I will do some google searches and see how well they come up now. Are you changing any directories add/remove this year?

I'm going to look at it again. See which ones we're still on and how they are working.

I just went through the same thing. It was time for b n b finder. I have a reservation tracker which is invaluable for these decisions. This one was definitely not working for us. I was considering keeping it just for the google love, but decided the heck with it and didn't renew.
When TA called and we had a productive conversation AND they actually changed a major thing for me, I decided to give it a try because I had dropped out of so many directories, that if you put them all together it comes close to paying for my new TA listing. I've had TA for less than a week and I got my first booking which pays for half of my TA listing (not using TripConnect yet). So far, so good.

We dropped most of directories. Signed up for TrAdvisor last month so to soon to say how it performs. Bedandbreakfast.com may be on the chopping block-just do not see same amount of inquiries through them this days. I think most people just search on Google and than check on Tripadvisor for reviews.

We dropped most of directories. Signed up for TrAdvisor last month so to soon to say how it performs. Bedandbreakfast.com may be on the chopping block-just do not see same amount of inquiries through them this days. I think most people just search on Google and than check on Tripadvisor for reviews..
A recent guest told us she came because of trip advisor. After her stay, she posted a trip advisor guest review. She emailed us to let us know. She said she had also tried several times to post her review to bedandbreakfast.com but could not get it to "take" no matter what she did. And she is computer savy, so she should know how to follow all the prompts. Makes us wonder if others have had the same experience.

We dropped most of directories. Signed up for TrAdvisor last month so to soon to say how it performs. Bedandbreakfast.com may be on the chopping block-just do not see same amount of inquiries through them this days. I think most people just search on Google and than check on Tripadvisor for reviews..
A recent guest told us she came because of trip advisor. After her stay, she posted a trip advisor guest review. She emailed us to let us know. She said she had also tried several times to post her review to bedandbreakfast.com but could not get it to "take" no matter what she did. And she is computer savy, so she should know how to follow all the prompts. Makes us wonder if others have had the same experience.
Mountain Inn said:
We've heard similar stories from guests trying to use TA. What we suggest, if they ask about reviewing, is that they wait until they are no longer here to do so. Guests who have used our guest computer have said their review never posted.
We think it's because they are using the same IP address we use to make mgmt responses and so TA flags the review as fake.
With bb.com you have to sign up to receive spam emails ;-) from them in order for your review to go thru. I did it once just to go thru the process and I get those emails everyday now.

I've also had a guest recently tell me they tried to post a bb.com review and couldn't get it through. He was never able to get the verification e-mail they send before they will post a review. I encouraged him to do a TA review, but nothing yet. It's a lot to ask of someone to continue to try
confused_smile.gif

JB,
Before deciding, suggest you read both parts of the two part series beginning at http://www.abouttheinn.com/2009/11/does-that-directory-deserve-your-money/ and make sure you are looking at your multi-channel funnel stats in GA, as discussed here and here.
Scott

Anyone with iLo ve Inn s? We've been with them for 5-7 years, but cannot identify how it produces, if it does. In the old days we just wanted to expand our web presence through links. Nowadays, we're just not sure they factor in all. $240/year. Easily paid for with a few reservations, but don't we say that about EVERY Directory? At some point there is a "cut bait" crossroad....but how to tell is the question!

Mountain Inn said:
We've heard similar stories from guests trying to use TA. What we suggest, if they ask about reviewing, is that they wait until they are no longer here to do so. Guests who have used our guest computer have said their review never posted.
We think it's because they are using the same IP address we use to make mgmt responses and so TA flags the review as fake.
With bb.com you have to sign up to receive spam emails ;-) from them in order for your review to go thru. I did it once just to go thru the process and I get those emails everyday now.
Same for TripAdvisor-had guests complaining they get spammed by tons of emails

Mountain Inn said:
April said:
I am getting them every day after a review. We want to hear from you, did you EAT HERE? Did you DO THIS?

Mountain Inn said:
April said:
I am getting them every day after a review. We want to hear from you, did you EAT HERE? Did you DO THIS?
Joey Bloggs said:
April said:
Yes, they list off a bunch of places you might have 'forgotten' to review! How could you have missed them??? How was the trip complete without going here and doing that and dining at such and such!

I think I would get rid of B n B find. Look at your stats? How many visitors do you have from them? Do you have them on a list of "How did you find us?" If they aren't showing up well then save your money.

Mountain Inn said:
April said:
Joey Bloggs said:
April said:
Yes, they list off a bunch of places you might have 'forgotten' to review! How could you have missed them??? How was the trip complete without going here and doing that and dining at such and such!
Had guests refuse to write the review because of that

Mountain Inn said:
April said:
Joey Bloggs said:
April said:
Had guests refuse to write the review because of that

I am going to look into wedding/elopement web directories for 2014. I am not doing the bike ad I have done for the last few years - NOTHING this year. Going to try focus on the elopements in the 1778 log house. Since b n b find is the only "shotgun" I am using, I am also trying to decide on it. Have until January to decide.

Back