Directory Gift Cards

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
If you take bedandbreakfast.com GC's - is it printed ON the GC that the guest has to let the property know they are using it when the reservation is made? If you've seen one lately, is it the least bit helpful to the guest in determining where it can be used? (Yes, we had one show up at the door to pay for a package deal and we had to decline it.)
'Paperwork' that may or may not have come with the GC is kinda useless. So, is the pertinent info ON the card itself? We should have looked at it when it was presented. But we got the same story, 'You're on their website, we thought you had to take it.' We explained we can't get paid because we don't belong to the program. Sure, we could have used it ourselves but we had no idea if it was good or not.

I checked on their website, it does not indicate in any way, shape or form that you participate in the program.
The card specifically says that they should verify ahead of time that the property accepts the card. There is a URL to specifically check properties (/giftcertificatesearch.aspx)
Have them call B&B.com at 800 (GO-B-AND-B) and talk to them about the card. It's not your problem at all.

I haven't seen one of those cards in a while, since we don't take them either. But I remember having this 'discussion' when Eric still ran bandb.com, about the vast expanse of white space on the card where they could print - MUST CALL B&B TO VERIFY BEFORE USING. Which they were never going to do, since that would negate all of their sales pitches for the cards. And I'm sure they still don't do it. One thing to know is that Diamond Collection B&Bs must take the cards - if someone calls me with one, I send them to one of those nearby Diamond Collection inns. Their rates are a good bit higher than mine, but that's a problem for the guest, not me. I don't get very many calls any more, although some people still hold the belief that since we're on the site at all, we must take the cards.

I checked on their website, it does not indicate in any way, shape or form that you participate in the program.
The card specifically says that they should verify ahead of time that the property accepts the card. There is a URL to specifically check properties (/giftcertificatesearch.aspx)
Have them call B&B.com at 800 (GO-B-AND-B) and talk to them about the card. It's not your problem at all..
They were ok with it once we explained.

Have them call B&B.com at 800 (GO-B-AND-B) and talk to them about the card. It's not your problem at all..
When I get someone calling and are a bit upset that not everyone on the directory takes them, I ask them to please contact bb.com and tell them. It seems that it's only we innkeepers who are "the bad guys"!

When I get someone calling and are a bit upset that not everyone on the directory takes them, I ask them to please contact bb.com and tell them. It seems that it's only we innkeepers who are "the bad guys"!
Breakfast Diva said:
Good idea.

Ever since I listed on our website, confirmation letter and policies you have to agree to on ResKey, I haven't had anyone just show up with the bb.com cards. The most I get now is the phone calls, so it's not so bad.

Ever since I listed on our website, confirmation letter and policies you have to agree to on ResKey, I haven't had anyone just show up with the bb.com cards. The most I get now is the phone calls, so it's not so bad..
We actually talked with them to make the rez. Never mentioned the GC.

Hi everyone! Its good to be back on here. Most of our storm clean up is complete Now I can come out to play!
I have had so many problems with their GC program. I have called and they don't really care that I have had people really mad at me because I'm listed on their site and I do not take their GC. They really need to figure out what to do with this. It makes us look bad and people get upset.
I had a company not to long ago ask If we wanted to start a GC program for Inn Rewards. I do not feel now is the time to roll something like that out. I am open to that in the future but one thing at a time. I hope all of you have had a great weekend!

Hi everyone! Its good to be back on here. Most of our storm clean up is complete Now I can come out to play!
I have had so many problems with their GC program. I have called and they don't really care that I have had people really mad at me because I'm listed on their site and I do not take their GC. They really need to figure out what to do with this. It makes us look bad and people get upset.
I had a company not to long ago ask If we wanted to start a GC program for Inn Rewards. I do not feel now is the time to roll something like that out. I am open to that in the future but one thing at a time. I hope all of you have had a great weekend!.
Glad you're all 'cleaned up'!
Eons ago bb.com DID a drastic overhaul to the GC program based on legitimate griping from the gang here. They made it easier to find which B&B's take the GC's, but it obviously still needs work.

I had a company not to long ago ask If we wanted to start a GC program for Inn Rewards. I do not feel now is the time to roll something like that out. I am open to that in the future but one thing at a time. I hope all of you have had a great weekend!.
Eons ago bb.com DID a drastic overhaul to the GC program based on legitimate griping from the gang here. They made it easier to find which B&B's take the GC's, but it obviously still needs work.
And now that John has left the company there is no one from B&B that openly reads the posts here.
It only makes me believe they think we all will get fed up with guests being mad at US and bite the bullet and join the program. If we could only get the GC holders to be as angry with them as they are with innkeepers who do not accept the GC we may see change - then again maybe not!

And now that John has left the company there is no one from B&B that openly reads the posts here.
It only makes me believe they think we all will get fed up with guests being mad at US and bite the bullet and join the program. If we could only get the GC holders to be as angry with them as they are with innkeepers who do not accept the GC we may see change - then again maybe not!
GC's are an amazing money-maker as everyone knows. What's the % that never get redeemed? It's a shot to the bottom line with almost zero effort. There is 0 incentive to make it easier on the guest or the innkeeper.
There is no real online place to gripe about the bad user experience so the GC buyer has no idea how hard it might be to find a place to use the GC.

FYI they are all watching what we say on hear. I have had many phone calls and emails from them during a complaint about our logo. They even said they monitor what we say. Tim even sent me quotes from some of you on here. So anytime you want to say "Hello" type away!

GC's are an amazing money-maker as everyone knows. What's the % that never get redeemed? It's a shot to the bottom line with almost zero effort. There is 0 incentive to make it easier on the guest or the innkeeper.
There is no real online place to gripe about the bad user experience so the GC buyer has no idea how hard it might be to find a place to use the GC.
If we ever decide to do a GC program for InnRewards I would like to figure out away to make it work without any %. I don't know that that is possible but Im sure if it is, everyone would take them. Then the problem is solved. I have had 3 or 4 this year book and I had to refund their deposit. Its been a real mess. BB doesn't care, I have talked to them.

Reality... put a statement in your confirmations that reads...
Please note: Sorry, but we do not accept gift cards from B&B.COM or any other third party. If you have questions regarding gift cards, please call them directly for help.
Incidentally, I do accept them. While I get some people who book ahead and use them, I also get some yoohoos that want to use them who show up at my door with no reservation whatsoever in the high season trying to find someone, anyone, who will accept them. Even had them ask me if I would cash it for them and hand them the cash (NO!). We also have to deal with exchange rates and sometimes people don't understand exchange rates.

If we ever decide to do a GC program for InnRewards I would like to figure out away to make it work without any %. I don't know that that is possible but Im sure if it is, everyone would take them. Then the problem is solved. I have had 3 or 4 this year book and I had to refund their deposit. Its been a real mess. BB doesn't care, I have talked to them.
Bob said:
Our state B&B association has Lodging Gift Vouchers (Gift Certificates) and there is no cost to the innkeeper so all properties in the association have to accept them. They way they do it is to charge an additional $5 to the buyer (shipping and handling).

Bob said:
Our state B&B association has Lodging Gift Vouchers (Gift Certificates) and there is no cost to the innkeeper so all properties in the association have to accept them. They way they do it is to charge an additional $5 to the buyer (shipping and handling).
That is what ours does as well.

I had a call from Ohio asking if we accepted the B&B gift cards, our website says to call, as we don't take all GC's... and he was disappointed, and I said how about save the card for a stop on the way or way home, and I will discount your room! (Midweek so will be a-okay)

FYI they are all watching what we say on hear. I have had many phone calls and emails from them during a complaint about our logo. They even said they monitor what we say. Tim even sent me quotes from some of you on here. So anytime you want to say "Hello" type away!
Bob said:
Well GOOD! I sure hope they are reading this thread and take it to the board room to discuss ways to make their program better!!!! The better the program the happier their clients - innkeepers and booking guests.
Maddie has hit the nail on the head with her comments regarding % use and no way to sound off or read others complaints about the program so the cycle continues!

Personally I hope InnRewards steers clear of GCs. Complication - how to pay the innkeeper, how to validate the GC, someone has to do all the paperwork, taxes, deal with IRS filing........

Back