Directory Listing - BedandBreakfastCountry.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Ugh! Just got a call from these people today. bedandbreakfastcountry.com saying that they were a Microsoft partner and wanting to get me to sign up to get listed on their website. Checked... they have no damn traffic. Heck... I have more traffic than they do and they want me to pay them $200
IMHO... SCAM!
I HATE how so many companies now claim that they are partners of major corporations, but have nothing to show any proof of it. And these companies (Microsoft, Google, etc) don't have a way to check if people really are their partners.
Secondly, don't you want to get your traffic up before you ask me to pay you $200?
Thirdly, don't you want to have legal businesses listed instead of illegal businesses listed? I don't want to be listed alongside a bunch of illegal businesses!
Fourth... don't they know that indexes like this are the past, not the future?
I hope B&Bs are smart enough to just say NO!

They think you only bake muffins. I think THEY only bake muffins, they need to get a clue.

I get calls from them every week. Sometimes 2-3 times per week. Apparently they are a Rogers subsidiary (as in Rogers Communications) so yes, they have major partners. Still doesn't make me want to fork over cash to them. If B&B's all stopped supporting directories, the directories would shrivel up and die and then they wouldn't be competing with us on Google.

I get calls from them every week. Sometimes 2-3 times per week. Apparently they are a Rogers subsidiary (as in Rogers Communications) so yes, they have major partners. Still doesn't make me want to fork over cash to them. If B&B's all stopped supporting directories, the directories would shrivel up and die and then they wouldn't be competing with us on Google..
happyjacks said:
I get calls from them every week. Sometimes 2-3 times per week. Apparently they are a Rogers subsidiary (as in Rogers Communications) so yes, they have major partners. Still doesn't make me want to fork over cash to them. If B&B's all stopped supporting directories, the directories would shrivel up and die and then they wouldn't be competing with us on Google.
They told me they are affliated with Microsoft. Didn't mention Rogers... maybe because Rogers doesn't really mean much around here except for cellular/mobile.
I checked their traffic. I could sell them traffic. No one is visiting their website.

I get calls from them every week. Sometimes 2-3 times per week. Apparently they are a Rogers subsidiary (as in Rogers Communications) so yes, they have major partners. Still doesn't make me want to fork over cash to them. If B&B's all stopped supporting directories, the directories would shrivel up and die and then they wouldn't be competing with us on Google..
happyjacks said:
You rebel you!

I went to check it out and it too over a minute to come up. I went and did some work while it stuggled. They don't have anything but some long term rentals at Virginina Beach for our entire state.
RIki

They call us all the time. Last time I told them that we will not list with them even if THEY pay me.
And I agree - B&B directories are going to be a something of the past.

They call us all the time. Last time I told them that we will not list with them even if THEY pay me.
And I agree - B&B directories are going to be a something of the past..
April said:
And I agree - B&B directories are going to be a something of the past.
I tell them that IF they reach me, you can pay ME to send business to you. In fact I had to say that to another "pay us $400 and we will put your name and phone # in this artsy brochure" Pay me, as I am the one sending YOU the customers!
regular_smile.gif

Maybe the logic goes like this
"We bought a MacBook Pro from Apple, therefore we are customers of apple, and thus in a partnership with Apple."
just a thought....

"We bought a MacBook Pro from Apple, therefore we are customers of apple, and thus in a partnership with Apple."
just a thought.....
paulavery said:
just a thought....
Any conversation that starts with the words "In partnership with" and then contains any of the following... Google, Microsoft, or the Yellow Pages has me pretty much scared that it's a scam.
I still get calls from time to time from people puporting to be Microsoft and offering to help me solve my computer problems.... they never are from Microsoft.

Amen to that! Nothing more annoying than seeing those directories taking away valuable real estate and paying them to do it. We have tossed `em all out the door, including the most horrific, "pay us to destroy your business, drive traffic away from you to our money makers, and obscure your listing with vacation rentals and featured hotels, Trap tobismal.

Amen to that! Nothing more annoying than seeing those directories taking away valuable real estate and paying them to do it. We have tossed `em all out the door, including the most horrific, "pay us to destroy your business, drive traffic away from you to our money makers, and obscure your listing with vacation rentals and featured hotels, Trap tobismal.
Happy Keeper said:
The funny part if when they try to sell space to us bragging about how much business and how much money we will make off of them, little do they know what you have mentioned, that IF they do become worthwhile and show up in Google well, they are stealing our spots in Google. Next time one of these calls someone toss that their way and see what they say? I bet they have no clue about it and will keep pounding the lack of business we have from not subscribing to their directory.

Food for thought... a real questoion.
When people want to stay at a hotel most will go to/and book through a travel website like hotels.com or expedia.com etc.
When people want to book with a B&B they often go direct to B&B itself (either e-mail or phone).
Maybe I am wrong on both accounts. But this is what I see the people I know do.
Why is this?

When people want to stay at a hotel most will go to/and book through a travel website like hotels.com or expedia.com etc.
When people want to book with a B&B they often go direct to B&B itself (either e-mail or phone).
Why is this?
paulavery said:
Maybe I am wrong on both accounts. But this is what I see the people I know do. Why is this?
Possibly because they know most of us do not list with the cheapo deals. They know the experience with a B & B is going to be worth the price - they probably know the truth, you get what you pay for. Go cheap and 9 times out of 10 cheap is what you get.

Maybe they call directly because they know that they can get local information from the innkeeper and not some text-typing minimum wage person who could care less.
Edited to say, Hey! this is a theme for a better way to stay video...
Riki

Why is this?
paulavery said:
Why is this?
Maybe it is because they feel they will get better information going directly to the B&B site, hopefully getting a feel of the experience they will get being there. With the big box chains, they get the same info regardless of where they book and they are able to compare amenities and prices all in one place if going though one of the above mentioned sites but for the most part they know what to expect with each chain name.
The thought that it is always based on getting the cheapest rate is really not that true anymore. With the last 2 trips I researched, I used the booking sites above as well as Google Maps to find my choices then called the hotels directly - got the same price quoted to me both times (without asking) as I found on the booking sites.

Back