Directory listing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posting anon was to be able to post funny or amusing guest stories. Which we like to do. We actually enjoy our guests and our businesses.
It was never meant to be armour against a bed and breakfast directory, which it now has become. Good luck pulling anyone out of their protective shell now!
Word today that yet another directory was lurking here. That makes it 3 or 4 (that I know of) since this conversation started..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Word today that yet another directory was lurking here. That makes it 3 or 4 (that I know of) since this conversation started.
Interesting to see how much power the "little guys"
wink_smile.gif
really have. Think the directories are nervous?
I've been RIVETED to my computer since this started. I have applauded you guys and cheered to my screen, given myself a high five, pumped my fist, all of that when you've "scored a point". You all really are something that I "aspire" to be: honest, forthright, display integrity, no holds barred, velvet fisted people.
This couple of threads are worth the price of admission and far exceed what I would learn at some boring, old, Aspiring Innkeeper Seminar!!
cheers.gif

emspiers said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Word today that yet another directory was lurking here. That makes it 3 or 4 (that I know of) since this conversation started.
Interesting to see how much power the "little guys"
wink_smile.gif
really have. Think the directories are nervous?
I've been RIVETED to my computer since this started. I have applauded you guys and cheered to my screen, given myself a high five, pumped my fist, all of that when you've "scored a point". You all really are something that I "aspire" to be: honest, forthright, display integrity, no holds barred, velvet fisted people.
This couple of threads are worth the price of admission and far exceed what I would learn at some boring, old, Aspiring Innkeeper Seminar!!
cheers.gif
ROTFLOL!
And glad to be of service...
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

Posting anon was to be able to post funny or amusing guest stories. Which we like to do. We actually enjoy our guests and our businesses.
It was never meant to be armour against a bed and breakfast directory, which it now has become. Good luck pulling anyone out of their protective shell now!
Word today that yet another directory was lurking here. That makes it 3 or 4 (that I know of) since this conversation started..
How do regular posters feel about other directories lurking/posting anonymously? Might be a good topic for a new thread, or even a poll. The reason we do not do this is that I think it would seem odd if you didn't know I was from a specific company, yet I was posting in defense of my company. Isn't there some type of forum etiquette that says if you are going to post in discussions regarding your own business or competitors businesses, that you must identify you are indeed a stakeholder in the conversation so that folks understand this?
Lurking and saying nothing shows restraint in many cases. However, anyone is permitted to lurk. Anyone who posts anonymously is found out - we are not a stupid lot - altough they will not be exposed as long as they are genuine in what they say. Many detectives here.
Many people have exhibited intelligence until they opened their mouths. I, for one, have no problem with an opinion being expressed by anyone/everyone (as themselves or anon) as long as it is kept civil and factual. Yes, we all (and I mean human beings as we all) get emotional when the right buttons are pushed, just do not get personal nor judgemental to any and all who disagree. I do not believe anyone issued a personal attack on anyone from bandb - just stated a disgruntled issue and why and from that point on attempted to get someone to understand our issue - or even try to understand it.
We have been trying for way too long to get the point across that without a web link - that the rest of the world considers a standard item - your Bronze listing is useless and that is the level that the small inn can afford. We are giving you the answer on a silver platter! One that should have been figured out in your own Board Room - make it in quantity. There is probably more money to be made by adding the web link to Bronze and getting all those small inns that cannot afford the Silver Platter demanded of us. Do you not think a press release that could say we list 14,000 inns would make a much bigger impression than we list 7,000?
This Forum tries to help everyone - even bandb.com........
Sounds like we are all on the same page then. I thought I had read that another directory had posted anonymously here, but I think we are up to 100 posts now so losing track. I agree that innkeepers should be able to post anonymously - just wouldn't think that vendors of any kind would.
There are some posting anonymously and as long as they are not deceptive (promoting themselves or demoting others) about it they are welcome to participate and share. Some just "listen in" as a way of staying connected. I think it helps them understand their clientelle that much better than listening to a crowd at a conference round-table or presentation.
If they are presenting themselves anonymously, I have no tolerance for self-promotion or game playing. If they are presenting themselves openly (as you, Eric, and Sandy do) then some self-promotion is allowable.
Of course it is always possible that someone may sneak-in and create an anonymous account and not give any hint at who they are, but as Muirford and Guilumhouse mentioned, when they start opening their mouth, they often reveal more than they realize.
I think you and Eric and Sandy certainly get credit (as many have already said) for coming here openly and representing bedandbreakfast.com openly. Personally, I may not always agree with what you say or the arguments used. I also think that you (more so than Eric or Sandy) have seen some benefit from coming here (or this forum's predecessor) and listening. You've asked for feedback on various things over the past year or so and I think you've gone away with some useful info.

How do regular posters feel about other directories lurking/posting anonymously? Might be a good topic for a new thread, or even a poll. The reason we do not do this is that I think it would seem odd if you didn't know I was from a specific company, yet I was posting in defense of my company. Isn't there some type of forum etiquette that says if you are going to post in discussions regarding your own business or competitors businesses, that you must identify you are indeed a stakeholder in the conversation so that folks understand this?
Lurking and saying nothing shows restraint in many cases. However, anyone is permitted to lurk. Anyone who posts anonymously is found out - we are not a stupid lot - altough they will not be exposed as long as they are genuine in what they say. Many detectives here.
Many people have exhibited intelligence until they opened their mouths. I, for one, have no problem with an opinion being expressed by anyone/everyone (as themselves or anon) as long as it is kept civil and factual. Yes, we all (and I mean human beings as we all) get emotional when the right buttons are pushed, just do not get personal nor judgemental to any and all who disagree. I do not believe anyone issued a personal attack on anyone from bandb - just stated a disgruntled issue and why and from that point on attempted to get someone to understand our issue - or even try to understand it.
We have been trying for way too long to get the point across that without a web link - that the rest of the world considers a standard item - your Bronze listing is useless and that is the level that the small inn can afford. We are giving you the answer on a silver platter! One that should have been figured out in your own Board Room - make it in quantity. There is probably more money to be made by adding the web link to Bronze and getting all those small inns that cannot afford the Silver Platter demanded of us. Do you not think a press release that could say we list 14,000 inns would make a much bigger impression than we list 7,000?
Sounds like we are all on the same page then. I thought I had read that another directory had posted anonymously here, but I think we are up to 100 posts now so losing track. I agree that innkeepers should be able to post anonymously - just wouldn't think that vendors of any kind would.
There are some posting anonymously and as long as they are not deceptive (promoting themselves or demoting others) about it they are welcome to participate and share. Some just "listen in" as a way of staying connected. I think it helps them understand their clientelle that much better than listening to a crowd at a conference round-table or presentation.
If they are presenting themselves anonymously, I have no tolerance for self-promotion or game playing. If they are presenting themselves openly (as you, Eric, and Sandy do) then some self-promotion is allowable.
Of course it is always possible that someone may sneak-in and create an anonymous account and not give any hint at who they are, but as Muirford and Guilumhouse mentioned, when they start opening their mouth, they often reveal more than they realize.
I think you and Eric and Sandy certainly get credit (as many have already said) for coming here openly and representing bedandbreakfast.com openly. Personally, I may not always agree with what you say or the arguments used. I also think that you (more so than Eric or Sandy) have seen some benefit from coming here (or this forum's predecessor) and listening. You've asked for feedback on various things over the past year or so and I think you've gone away with some useful info.
I agree - particularly on our RezOvation product. We made a number of changes to the product as a direct result of this forum. Specifially last January on the availability calendar product, and more recently on the credit card security stuff. Sometimes we can't make them all whether it is due to programming time, other users want something else, but we try to be an open book on the UI. If you guys would want to see it, I'd post every change we plan on there before it goes live since usability can be so tricky.

You mis-take my point. It is not the posting anonymously that will garner attention. It is any post that recommends a product without reservation, whether the promoter is anonymous or known. Vendors can post anonymously if they want to. If we ask what kind of beverage people like to drink in the a.m. and you post an answer to that anonymously - that's fine, we don't care that you work for bandb.com.

I agree - particularly on our RezOvation product. We made a number of changes to the product as a direct result of this forum. Specifially last January on the availability calendar product, and more recently on the credit card security stuff. Sometimes we can't make them all whether it is due to programming time, other users want something else, but we try to be an open book on the UI. If you guys would want to see it, I'd post every change we plan on there before it goes live since usability can be so tricky.
You are welcome and encouraged to ask about anything you want some feedback or suggestions on. I've seen you carry out many of the suggestions that have been offered (at least the technical ones) in the past so I have no reservations about taking time to respond to your requests for feedback.
And if you ever have questions about raising your rates, I'm sure there will be lots of ready suggestions on that too
smileystooges.gif
(sorry it's the best emoticon I have to represent sarcasm)

Since we are on this subject... here is a post from a PAII forum that you might want to see.
A few months back, there was a thread about other websites stealing content, watermarking images in hopes that they would stop, and the positives and negatives of doing so.
Well – it hasn’t stopped, and in fact has gone to a new level that I felt warranted a posting.
Sandy and Marti here at BedandBreakfast.com came up with a great Halloween press release, featuring a handful of inns. You can see it here:
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/about/press.aspx?year=2008&article=08092008
A website called “The Innkeeper” at www.theinnkeeper.com literally copied the press release, word-for-word, photos and all, and posted it on their website - as their own with no credit to the authors or original website. You can see their page here:
http://www.theinnkeeper.com/blog/?p=83.
They are literally serving the images directly from our server – if you look at the sources on the photo files – it is from BedandBreakfast.com. Kudos to Sandy and Marti – you know what they say about imitation and flattery. Although this really is plagiarism.
Shame on “The Innkeeper” for this highly unethical and illegal action. If I were them I’d be embarassed to have to stoop to such measures for site content, and now it will likely cost us money to get them to stop doing it. If anyone would like to see screen shots along with the image sources, I’m happy to email them out.
You'll notice that we have directed any request from www.theinnkeeper.com for image serving from their blogs - to one single image on our website.... the BB.com logo. After all, turn-about is fair play..
John, I happened to be on theinnkeeper this weekend and could NOT find the copied press release on their site. I know that several on this site did send emails to them regarding the use without noting b&b as the source.
I just hope that innspiring members helped in some way and that this issue was resolved.

Since we are on this subject... here is a post from a PAII forum that you might want to see.
A few months back, there was a thread about other websites stealing content, watermarking images in hopes that they would stop, and the positives and negatives of doing so.
Well – it hasn’t stopped, and in fact has gone to a new level that I felt warranted a posting.
Sandy and Marti here at BedandBreakfast.com came up with a great Halloween press release, featuring a handful of inns. You can see it here:
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/about/press.aspx?year=2008&article=08092008
A website called “The Innkeeper” at www.theinnkeeper.com literally copied the press release, word-for-word, photos and all, and posted it on their website - as their own with no credit to the authors or original website. You can see their page here:
http://www.theinnkeeper.com/blog/?p=83.
They are literally serving the images directly from our server – if you look at the sources on the photo files – it is from BedandBreakfast.com. Kudos to Sandy and Marti – you know what they say about imitation and flattery. Although this really is plagiarism.
Shame on “The Innkeeper” for this highly unethical and illegal action. If I were them I’d be embarassed to have to stoop to such measures for site content, and now it will likely cost us money to get them to stop doing it. If anyone would like to see screen shots along with the image sources, I’m happy to email them out.
You'll notice that we have directed any request from www.theinnkeeper.com for image serving from their blogs - to one single image on our website.... the BB.com logo. After all, turn-about is fair play..
John, I happened to be on theinnkeeper this weekend and could NOT find the copied press release on their site. I know that several on this site did send emails to them regarding the use without noting b&b as the source.
I just hope that innspiring members helped in some way and that this issue was resolved.
Nahh. It is still there. They just don't have an easy link to their blog.
regular_smile.gif

Back