Disaster Averted

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Got an online reservation a few days ago. Guest called right after, because for some reason ResKey had a little glitch and we straightened it out over the phone. Sent confirmation letter. She had booked the last room for yesterday and today. Called again the next day saying their friends wanted to come too, do we have a room. Nope (she should have realized that when she made her online reservation and there was only 1 room to choose!). Each time she called, I heard screaming kids in the background. She called 2 times yesterday, her day of arrival. First call was to say they wouldn't arrive until at least 7:00pm. Sure, no problem I say.
Then she calls around 6:00 to tell me that they would not arrive until about midnight, they were stuck in traffic. I then hear a kid in the background! I ask her if it's just the 2 of them staying with us and she says "yes". The 2 of them and their 2 children!!!! The children are 3 and almost 2. Oh no! Now I have to tell her that her reservation was for 2 adults and no children and we do not accept them in any room except our Cottage and that she had clicked on her online reservation that she had read and agreed to our policies. We are a romantic getaway for couples and they are here to get away from children. "Oh, isn't there something we can do?" she asks. Nope. I told her how sorry I was the we had this situation, but there was no way to make it work and she was responsible for both nights. Told her I would try to fill it for the next night, but if I didn't she was responsible.
After I hung up, I charged her card for the 2nd night (already had her deposit), opened up the room online and I'm done. What a nightmare that would have been here with 2 screaming kids! It was an uncomfortable conversation, but no screaming or yelling or arguing.
Now I'll be looking on TA for not only the "scam" person's review, but now the unhappy child person review. Oh, joy.

what is it with people and their fricking kids? feel that this is a USA problem to a certain extent maybe because uk B&B bedrooms are a lot smaller so parents arn't fooling themselves they can fit in.
HOW CAN PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND! CHILDREN ARE PEOPLE!!!!!?????

what is it with people and their fricking kids? feel that this is a USA problem to a certain extent maybe because uk B&B bedrooms are a lot smaller so parents arn't fooling themselves they can fit in.
HOW CAN PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND! CHILDREN ARE PEOPLE!!!!!?????.
We get a lot of parents who say, 'The kids can sleep on the floor, we only need one room with one bed.' All the time. They are certainly not willing to pay for the extra kids. Our rooms are small so there really isn't any room for kids sleeping everywhere. We have rooms with 2 beds just for this scenario but no one wants to pay extra. I recommend they stay at some cottages up the road where they have a kitchenette, TV, multiple beds and continental breakfast for $85. Even that's too much sometimes.
Or, they book online and put in that there are 2 guests and then add in a kid's age where it asks about kids. So, really just parent and child or 2 parents and child?
We just had a family with 3 kids stay and they had no problem paying for the kids. Euros.

I always cringe when the kids are screaming in the background and I'm praying the kids are not coming, too.

HOW CAN PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND! CHILDREN ARE PEOPLE!!!!!?????.
We get a lot of parents who say, 'The kids can sleep on the floor, we only need one room with one bed.' All the time. They are certainly not willing to pay for the extra kids. Our rooms are small so there really isn't any room for kids sleeping everywhere. We have rooms with 2 beds just for this scenario but no one wants to pay extra. I recommend they stay at some cottages up the road where they have a kitchenette, TV, multiple beds and continental breakfast for $85. Even that's too much sometimes.
Or, they book online and put in that there are 2 guests and then add in a kid's age where it asks about kids. So, really just parent and child or 2 parents and child?
We just had a family with 3 kids stay and they had no problem paying for the kids. Euros.
We have 2 suites and a cottage, plenty of space, but each has a maximum occupancy of 2 people. (Our permit is for a maximum of 6 people so the math is pretty simple.) Sometimes we get obnoxious callers who just can not concieve that we have the room for more people but that we will not take a reservation for more than 2 per accommodation. We have never had parents show up with kids. If they did I would have no problem turning them away.

pita.gif

This is a sore subject for me. Two times recently this has been an issue.
First was another INNKEEPER - yes, people innkeepers can be some of the worst guests!!! They called and said he needed to set up a late self check in... The next morning we hear bang, bang - below us as our quarters are above the guest rooms. As we were setting up breakfast, they all start galloping down the stairs - 2 kids & 2 adults. The room has 1 queen bed. Sad to have an innkeeper on a DNR list, but they are on mine!!!
Second was just last week. Again room for 2, 1 queen bed. The guest called early in the day, again needing a late check in (do you see a trend here?) and it would be herself and her mother as her DH was out of town. We happened to be able to greet them at the door - 3 of them, the 3rd a 15-17yr old (mentally handicap). There was NOTHING I could offer, our large rooms were filled. The mother kept saying that a qn bed would be fine all of them could fit. No, not on this late 1700's bed, (none of them were Tiggy).
While I like to be flexable and offer late check in, that has been the sign of PITA problems!!!

A fellow innkeeper keeps on reminding me that some people don't think that children are people. It's a royal PITA.

I think this is being more commonplace because of the hotels that say 'kids stay free' restaurants say 'kids eat free'. Kids to me are extra people ... Period. I found that kids eat A LOT, i don't know how they break even!

There's just no excuse......they see the area that says "adults" 2, "children 0". If they try to add them in, it won't let them.
Betcha after having to pay for this weekend without being here, they will not let this happen again!
poke.gif

I think this is being more commonplace because of the hotels that say 'kids stay free' restaurants say 'kids eat free'. Kids to me are extra people ... Period. I found that kids eat A LOT, i don't know how they break even!.
seashanty said:
I think this is being more commonplace because of the hotels that say 'kids stay free' restaurants say 'kids eat free'. Kids to me are extra people ... Period. I found that kids eat A LOT, i don't know how they break even!
But would those same guests walk into a 'kids eat free' restaurant, with 3 kids standing there, and say, 'Table for 2, the kids will just stand'? Even if kids are free we need to know they'll be present. BTW, when I get complaints about 'charging for kids' I tell them I charge for adults. 'Parent, child, extra adult.'

I think this is being more commonplace because of the hotels that say 'kids stay free' restaurants say 'kids eat free'. Kids to me are extra people ... Period. I found that kids eat A LOT, i don't know how they break even!.
seashanty said:
But would those same guests walk into a 'kids eat free' restaurant, with 3 kids standing there, and say, 'Table for 2, the kids will just stand'? Even if kids are free we need to know they'll be present. BTW, when I get complaints about 'charging for kids' I tell them I charge for adults. 'Parent, child, extra adult.'
I charge per person. If you have a belly button and are breathing, you are a person. I really do wonder what they do in a restaurant....

seashanty said:
Yeah try that at an amusement park!
The kids eat free always has a small *
It is never what it is cracked up to be. Better off paying the $3.99 kids meal price.

seashanty said:
Our youngest was an eating machine between ages 3 and 6 - when we found a lot of restaurants that posted Kids 6 and under eat free.

seashanty said:
Our youngest was an eating machine between ages 3 and 6 - when we found a lot of restaurants that posted Kids 6 and under eat free.
gillumhouse said:
seashanty said:
Okay you and I lived in different places, cuz the kids meals for free were so small the kids ended up eating off our plates. But as a parent you learn which kids meals are "meals" and which kids meals are apack of goldfish and a baby grilled cheese. I will never forget the wild caught Georgia shrimp in Savannah on the kids meal our daughter had, that was the BEST I had seen! No chicken nuggets at that place! :)

Back