Disaster Breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini

Reaction score
Okay so breakfast was a disaster this morning. Omelets was on the menu.
When guests sign in they are asked if there is anything they can't or won't eat?
Not a one mentioned a thing and I always tell them to make sure they fill in the dislike part..
I, therefore, assumed everyone loved everything that went into a western omelet.
DH started passing out the breakfasts, plated as usual.
Suddenly, they were handing them back, 2 don't eat meat, 1 does not eat mushroom, 1 does not eat green pepper, 1 will not eat red peppers, one no onions. And as I said, not one of them mentioned a thing on their sheet.
So by the time this was all over and I had to remake almost everyone's omelet, my head was spinning. DH and I will be eating lefover omelets for every meal today.
So the question I ask y'all is "When guests check in, do you have a form you have them fill in re dietary restrictions or do you just ask them when they arrive what they do not eat?" I am seriously thinking of having a list of food to tick that they don't like. It may work better.

NO!
I have no answer for this, as it really gets my goat. NO NO NO! STOMP FOOT!
I refuse to ask ANYONE WHAT THEY DO OR DO NOT LIKE. If you come to MY HOUSE FOR A MEAL, you can eat and leave what you don't want. Unless it is an allergy/personal belief issue.
I have a terrible allergy to bell pepper, if I were your guest I would just eat everything else! In fact if you used the same pan for a NON bell pepper as the rest of the omelette's, I wouldn't eat it. So I would SUCK IT UP and just eat what I could.
People are rude!
poke.gif

They would all have gotten very small portions of plain scrambled eggs and that would have been it on the second go 'round here. I would not have messed with more omeletes.
At the point where they're handing you their plates back, there's no graceful way out of making something else is there?
Sorry that this happened to you........
Picky guests suck!

Did they know the omelets were 'Western' before you started out? I wouldn't want green peppers, either as they permeate every inch of whatever they are in. However, if it was in front of me I would have picked them out. Your guests were babies. Everything you mentioned could have been picked out with no harm to anyone. At that point I would have graciously as possible explained we had no more eggs, please make the best of it, and to let me know later what else they couldn't eat as they hadn't mentioned any of this last night when asked.
OK, on to your question- we ask at time of reservation if they have foods they are allergic to or cannot eat for other reasons. (That could include religious reasons, I don't care, just tell me you can't have whatever.) I do not ask again on arrival but I do tell them what is being served and wait for reactions.
If it is a breakfast we are 'building as we go' I will tell them at the table what is going into the meal to give them one last chance to decline any ingredient. The number one thing that comes back to be thrown out is tomatoes. Mushrooms a close second, but those are usually weeded out when I tell them what's going into the omelet!

This stinks. You did everything you could to avoid the situation, so I don't know what the answer is. We only ask when they book if there is anything they can't have. You were a peach to make them more omelets, at that point I think I would've been pointing to the cereal (AND mentioning how YOU ASKED THEM WHAT THEY DIDN"T WANT TO EAT!!!).
This makes me stamp my foot too, NO NO NO!

I'm with Samster on this - scrambled eggs for the 2nd breakfast or they get cereal.
I ask guests what they can/can't and most tell me. For the ones that don't and are served a meal they can not eat most are not rude enough to hand it back, they'll just eat around what ever it is if they can. People are idiots and never think that ____ will be in their breakfast because at HOME it isn't! They also are on vacation, left their brain home and are too excited to get to their room and start having fun that to fill out your form or respond to my questions.

This stinks. You did everything you could to avoid the situation, so I don't know what the answer is. We only ask when they book if there is anything they can't have. You were a peach to make them more omelets, at that point I think I would've been pointing to the cereal (AND mentioning how YOU ASKED THEM WHAT THEY DIDN"T WANT TO EAT!!!).
This makes me stamp my foot too, NO NO NO!.
Don't you DARE stomp your foot! You will hurt your knee again!

I ask when taking the reservation for dietary restricts/requirements and are there any foods you do not eat. What is served for breakfast is determined around those answers. Other than that it is cook's choice and I rarely think to mention what is for breakfast in the morning. It is what I am serving. The time the lady told me should could not have cinnamon, I scrambles a couple eggs for her but I am not going to worry about it. Oh, and I do not think she got toast because I rarely have bread in the house and if I did, that day it was all in the bread pudding she could not eat because it had cinnamon in it. (I do not do toast because I do personal-size loaves of English muffin bread when serving eggs.)

This makes me stamp my foot too, NO NO NO!.
Don't you DARE stomp your foot! You will hurt your knee again!
The wise ones are always right! How about if I stomp the "good" foot?
tounge_smile.gif

So, we'll see how things go tomorrow because my guests are self-check-ins today and unless they see the brekkie board they won't know. Did get an email this AM for tonight about allergies. (But they are so odd I think it's not an allergy but a 'fat' thing.) Everyone else is a vegetarian, from what they said.

Why is it an "issue" to ask people what they don't eat or don't like? As the boy scouts say "be prepared", and it is no more common courtesy than asking any guests or friends who were coming to have a dinner at your house. I ask it on my online reservation, or over the phone for phone resas. I SELDOM have any "major" requests or allergies, I can count them on 10 fingers over 6 years (and I am talking other than simple requests).
And for those that do have special requests, you can revert to a fruit plate and a muffin, or scrambled eggs.
I feel bad that you had a not so good breakfast but onward and upward, and yes I have to agree I would have stuck with a simple "ham", "cheese", or "ham and cheese" omelet.

The frustration continues... as stated I always ask about alergies / dislikes at check in (also on my online form). This morning we noticed that one guy ate just a little of his breakfast plate - herb suffle, and nothing sweet, not even fruit. Nothing was said until this evening. His wife asked quietly if we were having anything with cheese tomorrow, kept looking back to see if hubby was watching. Guess HE did not want to bother me with any 'special orders'. Xing the cheese is simple compared to some requests....

The frustration continues... as stated I always ask about alergies / dislikes at check in (also on my online form). This morning we noticed that one guy ate just a little of his breakfast plate - herb suffle, and nothing sweet, not even fruit. Nothing was said until this evening. His wife asked quietly if we were having anything with cheese tomorrow, kept looking back to see if hubby was watching. Guess HE did not want to bother me with any 'special orders'. Xing the cheese is simple compared to some requests.....
I understand your frustration. I also ask when the reservation is made about requirements/restrictions/foods you do not eat. I include in the confirmation letter their response to that question even when it is a ho-ho no brussel sprouts as the answer (or liver & onions) smartA answer. and still get people who forget to say they cannot have cinnamon or the Dad who did not tell me until they were enroute that on kid could not have gluten and even then neglected to tell me he also could not eat eggs not peanut butter, He saved that gem for when they arrived at Midnight.

So, we'll see how things go tomorrow because my guests are self-check-ins today and unless they see the brekkie board they won't know. Did get an email this AM for tonight about allergies. (But they are so odd I think it's not an allergy but a 'fat' thing.) Everyone else is a vegetarian, from what they said..
Alibi Ike said:
So, we'll see how things go tomorrow because my guests are self-check-ins today and unless they see the brekkie board they won't know. Did get an email this AM for tonight about allergies. (But they are so odd I think it's not an allergy but a 'fat' thing.) Everyone else is a vegetarian, from what they said.
No one saw the breakfast board but they were fine with whatever was on the menu. Whew!

The frustration continues... as stated I always ask about alergies / dislikes at check in (also on my online form). This morning we noticed that one guy ate just a little of his breakfast plate - herb suffle, and nothing sweet, not even fruit. Nothing was said until this evening. His wife asked quietly if we were having anything with cheese tomorrow, kept looking back to see if hubby was watching. Guess HE did not want to bother me with any 'special orders'. Xing the cheese is simple compared to some requests.....
I understand your frustration. I also ask when the reservation is made about requirements/restrictions/foods you do not eat. I include in the confirmation letter their response to that question even when it is a ho-ho no brussel sprouts as the answer (or liver & onions) smartA answer. and still get people who forget to say they cannot have cinnamon or the Dad who did not tell me until they were enroute that on kid could not have gluten and even then neglected to tell me he also could not eat eggs not peanut butter, He saved that gem for when they arrived at Midnight.
gillumhouse said:
I include in the confirmation letter their response to that question even when it is a ho-ho no brussel sprouts as the answer (or liver & onions) smartA answer.
If I get these folks on the phone my immediate response is, 'OH! I'll have to let the cook know, that's his favorite recipe.' No matter what it is that they say. If they're laughing, I'm getting in on the joke.

gillumhouse said:
I include in the confirmation letter their response to that question even when it is a ho-ho no brussel sprouts as the answer (or liver & onions) smartA answer.
If I get these folks on the phone my immediate response is, 'OH! I'll have to let the cook know, that's his favorite recipe.' No matter what it is that they say. If they're laughing, I'm getting in on the joke.
My reply is usually Dang, that is my best dish! but I note what they say in the confirmation just to let them know I was listening.

So, you asked about "dislikes" and nobody stepped up to the plate to voice that until the plate was in front of them. Not your fault.
I do ask about food preferences both verbally and in written form. I also take note of what kind of coffee, juice, etc. they like to have so that I have it on hand. I provide a menu (with detailed descriptions of the foods being served) for the guests' entire stay at their check in, and I post the next day's menu in the pilothouse the day before. This gives everyone a second opportunity to speak up. So far, I've never been surprised.
For charters, not B&B, I have a very intense preference sheet. If they don't fill it out and return it to me, I tell them they'll be eating Beanie Weenies and water.

My website clearly states "...are available with at least two-days prior notice..."
I need time to prepare. If you don't give me the prior notice, it's on a best efforts basis. I usually have frozen gluten-free vegan bread and jam available. A box of gluten-free cereal and either soy, rice or almond milk.
When they announce it too late, I simply tell them that since we had no notice, this is what we have available that follows their dietary needs. Sorry, but I need time to get my ducks in a row.

My website clearly states "...are available with at least two-days prior notice..."
I need time to prepare. If you don't give me the prior notice, it's on a best efforts basis. I usually have frozen gluten-free vegan bread and jam available. A box of gluten-free cereal and either soy, rice or almond milk.
When they announce it too late, I simply tell them that since we had no notice, this is what we have available that follows their dietary needs. Sorry, but I need time to get my ducks in a row.
Do you have any problems when using the gluten-free bread with guests telling you it can't touch any regular bread? ie- don't put it in the toaster, I'll die!

Do you have any problems when using the gluten-free bread with guests telling you it can't touch any regular bread? ie- don't put it in the toaster, I'll die!
Cross-contamination can be a total problem. That is why I use a glass loaf pan for the gluten-free bread.

Back