Disconcerting comments

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about a video too. My SIL is an infomercial producer (yeah well) so I know I could have a professional one done. I thought about it being a tour of the house and grounds, maybe some shots of breakfast.
Pros and cons?.
Unless it is really well done and not a talking head innkeeper don't bother. It should be short and sweet. I am not waiting around for a 10 min. infomercial
catlady said:
Unless it is really well done and not a talking head innkeeper don't bother. It should be short and sweet. I am not waiting around for a 10 min. infomercial
I've liked a few of them that are just photos that fade in and out with some appropriate music. You're right about a talking head innkeeper droning on. Unless that person is funny or has something really interesting to say, it's a snoozer. The PO's were on the bleeding edge here. They had a video on CD that they would mail out. It was an interview-style video that didn't get bogged down.
If anyone has ocean frontage, just film the waves. I'd book there! A couple of places have webcams so you can see the beach. Wonderful!
If all you want is photos fading in and out with some music...try animoto.com. It's free for a basic video....
Or if you want, I have a subscription. Send me your pics and I will put one together for you and post to You Tube:) Here's one I did for our Chamber
http://animoto.com/play/a94UbSmtVvogAQ1aEGdHOg?utm_source=luraypage.com&utm_medium=player&utm_campaign=player

Interesting response to the BWTS video. That's the first time I've heard it as "off putting."
We are in a strange place with the campaign, because to date it has been 100% esoteric - only for the eyes and ears of innkeepers and those in our industry - but it's starting to become known by those outside our industry. Ultimately it will be a consumer campaign, but right now we are still in planning and development, yet folks are getting excited and wanting to start promoting it and using aspects of it.
The video you are referring to (the "I'm an Innkeeper" 58 second spot) was made purely to inspire innkeepers and vendors to support the forthcoming campaign. It was developed nearly a year ago before we started raising money, and we wanted to demonstrate the authenticty of innkeepers (the flip cam/home made video aspect)...get folks excited about pitting B&Bs vs. hotels...and just raise interest, curiosity and support. And...it worked very nicely. It's a bit of a cheerleading video to build pride in what we do and what we offer.
It's NOT a video to promote B&Bs or innkeepers to consumers. In fact, when the consumer site is launched, that video will not be seen at www.betterwaytostay.com. The current site, if you notice, is a redirect to support.betterwaytostay.com, which will remain the URL for the industry's eyes only. We are about to start development of 9 videos that are intended to be viewed by the traveling public to persuade folks to check us out.
That might not do anything to relieve an aversion to people-based videos, but hopefully it explains things a bit.

Interesting response to the BWTS video. That's the first time I've heard it as "off putting."
We are in a strange place with the campaign, because to date it has been 100% esoteric - only for the eyes and ears of innkeepers and those in our industry - but it's starting to become known by those outside our industry. Ultimately it will be a consumer campaign, but right now we are still in planning and development, yet folks are getting excited and wanting to start promoting it and using aspects of it.
The video you are referring to (the "I'm an Innkeeper" 58 second spot) was made purely to inspire innkeepers and vendors to support the forthcoming campaign. It was developed nearly a year ago before we started raising money, and we wanted to demonstrate the authenticty of innkeepers (the flip cam/home made video aspect)...get folks excited about pitting B&Bs vs. hotels...and just raise interest, curiosity and support. And...it worked very nicely. It's a bit of a cheerleading video to build pride in what we do and what we offer.
It's NOT a video to promote B&Bs or innkeepers to consumers. In fact, when the consumer site is launched, that video will not be seen at www.betterwaytostay.com. The current site, if you notice, is a redirect to support.betterwaytostay.com, which will remain the URL for the industry's eyes only. We are about to start development of 9 videos that are intended to be viewed by the traveling public to persuade folks to check us out.
That might not do anything to relieve an aversion to people-based videos, but hopefully it explains things a bit..
Thanks, Jay, for the clarification. I thought of that video as directed at members of the industry and not for general travelers when it was made.

That might not do anything to relieve an aversion to people-based videos, but hopefully it explains things a bit..
I don't think anyone thought it was for the general public, that is why I said "CAMPAIGN" video. We're not that silly.
I was using it as an example of a video FEATURING PEOPLE that is off putting. I am 100% for this campaign, and not DUE to the video at all. Someone was discussing having a video made for their inn, and I wanted to share an example of a PEOPLE BASED video that is not attractive to the viewer. For whatever reason, people focused too much, too close or too often in video are not ideal.

dupe post for whatever reason

Thanks Jay. I understood that it was FOR the innkeepers not to promote the industry. But I have seen this used in the promotional way by innkeepers on FB and other media based websites. I just don't think some realize how it is intended to be used.
I too am very excited for the campaign and believe it is just what we as an industry need.

Thanks Jay. I understood that it was FOR the innkeepers not to promote the industry. But I have seen this used in the promotional way by innkeepers on FB and other media based websites. I just don't think some realize how it is intended to be used.
I too am very excited for the campaign and believe it is just what we as an industry need.
copperhead said:
That's what I've seen and it isn't helpful at all. That video is, hate to say it, awful. And that's what innkeepers are putting out there to their GUESTS to show what B&B's have to offer. There was a whole mistaken idea of what that video was for. So now, guests who have seen it think we all stand around saying, 'I'm an innkeeper!' And there's not point to the video because it wasn't meant to be used the way it is being used. It doesn't say what the entire program is meant to say.

I don't think anyone thought it was for the general public, that is why I said "CAMPAIGN" video. We're not that silly.
I was using it as an example of a video FEATURING PEOPLE that is off putting. I am 100% for this campaign, and not DUE to the video at all. Someone was discussing having a video made for their inn, and I wanted to share an example of a PEOPLE BASED video that is not attractive to the viewer. For whatever reason, people focused too much, too close or too often in video are not ideal.
I agree with you 100% about people in videos that are talking. Not my fave.

Back