Disconcerting comments

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
The most frequent check-in comment lately has been, 'Wow, this is really nice.' That's a great comment, but it implies they were not thinking that when they made the reservation. We have all new, professional photos so there's not much more I can do to show what's in store.

I answer the phone and hear - "Wow, that sounds sp professional!" What do they think? That I am an amatuer who is going to answer with Whaddayawant!

I answer the phone and hear - "Wow, that sounds sp professional!" What do they think? That I am an amatuer who is going to answer with Whaddayawant!.
We get the same thing. Maybe they are relieved that what they saw is really what they will get? There is so much deception on the web too.
I know some sites that look a lot better on line than they do in real life
RIki

It's not necessarily that they were not expecting it, they are just walking into a new environment and complimenting it
When you book a hotel and you walk into a lovely lobby or hotel room, don't you think the same (if alone) or say the same (if with someone?)

We get the same Ike. I'm not sure what to do about it exactly. There is just so much you can do with pictures and some people think wow great pictures, looks nice there but when they get to live it, it is more like WOW this IS great!
I think I would rather it be this way than for them to think it will be nicer than the pictures and turn out not to wow them when they get here. Same with the comments "your website doesn't do your place justice". Sometimes I think about wanting to do a video, but am constantly reminded that I have found very few videos that make me say WOW gotta go there, in fact most are a turn off when I was 'sold' before seeing the video.

It's not necessarily that they were not expecting it, they are just walking into a new environment and complimenting it
When you book a hotel and you walk into a lovely lobby or hotel room, don't you think the same (if alone) or say the same (if with someone?).
agoodman said:
When you book a hotel and you walk into a lovely lobby or hotel room, don't you think the same (if alone) or say the same (if with someone?)
If I walk into a place where I have no idea what it will look like because they have not one photo, then, yes, I probably would make a comment about how nice, shabby, awful, unexpected it is.
I guess the point I was trying to make is that I SHOW everything on the website in photos and yet I get these astounded comments. As if it was not what they were expecting at all. Which means there is a disconnect I am trying to close up. How many bookings do I lose because guests don't feel the love on the website?

We get the same Ike. I'm not sure what to do about it exactly. There is just so much you can do with pictures and some people think wow great pictures, looks nice there but when they get to live it, it is more like WOW this IS great!
I think I would rather it be this way than for them to think it will be nicer than the pictures and turn out not to wow them when they get here. Same with the comments "your website doesn't do your place justice". Sometimes I think about wanting to do a video, but am constantly reminded that I have found very few videos that make me say WOW gotta go there, in fact most are a turn off when I was 'sold' before seeing the video..
copperhead said:
but am constantly reminded that I have found very few videos that make me say WOW gotta go there, in fact most are a turn off when I was 'sold' before seeing the video.
Oh that just cannot be possible. Everyday I have 10 emails telling me how much biz I am losing because I don't have video on my site.
wink_smile.gif

Wait, did they say "This is much nicer?" Or "This is nicer than we expected?"
I hope people walk into our place and say it is nice! Send them here, I will take them! I will plant a big kiss on their cheek to tell them so too!
(YEAH YEAH STILL NOT OVER BEING TOLD "LOWER THAN A MOTEL" SORRY, IT KEEPS CROPPING UP!)

I thought about a video too. My SIL is an infomercial producer (yeah well) so I know I could have a professional one done. I thought about it being a tour of the house and grounds, maybe some shots of breakfast.
Pros and cons?

Question: When you look at a hotel website or a B&B website, how many times have you actually watched the video???? Me? Never.

Wait, did they say "This is much nicer?" Or "This is nicer than we expected?"
I hope people walk into our place and say it is nice! Send them here, I will take them! I will plant a big kiss on their cheek to tell them so too!
(YEAH YEAH STILL NOT OVER BEING TOLD "LOWER THAN A MOTEL" SORRY, IT KEEPS CROPPING UP!).
'Wow, this is REALLY nice!' It's the tone. I don't get too many comments about it being nicer than the photos. Just something along the lines of shock that it is this nice.
Maybe it's the outside right now. There's a 5'x20'x15' pile of snow blocking a good part of the entry area so you really don't get a good sense of what the place looks like. All of my landscaping is buried so it just looks like a big old house and a parking lot right now.
I also think a fair amount of it this weekend was a group that came with a long-time guest. I think the group may have had a less than stellar opinion of the type of place their friends would normally stay at, so this was an unexpected pleasure.
But, that same group also showed the website to co-workers who said, 'That is really nice! We're coming next time!' so it's not the website. It might be the 'B&B dread' factor among the 30-somethings. And then they find it's not what they thought it was going to be, whatever that is.

I thought about a video too. My SIL is an infomercial producer (yeah well) so I know I could have a professional one done. I thought about it being a tour of the house and grounds, maybe some shots of breakfast.
Pros and cons?.
A prof video? Do it. Absolutely. But make it fun. Not an infomercial!

I think it's a compliment. Your website only shows snippets of the common areas. They get the whole picture when they walk in the door!

I just run with being pleased. Most people have no clue what they have booked anyway.

Pros and cons?.
Unless it is really well done and not a talking head innkeeper don't bother. It should be short and sweet. I am not waiting around for a 10 min. infomercial

Pros and cons?.
Unless it is really well done and not a talking head innkeeper don't bother. It should be short and sweet. I am not waiting around for a 10 min. infomercial
catlady said:
I've liked a few of them that are just photos that fade in and out with some appropriate music. You're right about a talking head innkeeper droning on. Unless that person is funny or has something really interesting to say, it's a snoozer. The PO's were on the bleeding edge here. They had a video on CD that they would mail out. It was an interview-style video that didn't get bogged down.
If anyone has ocean frontage, just film the waves. I'd book there! A couple of places have webcams so you can see the beach. Wonderful!

I still cannot stand any of the people videos. It is just me perhaps, but I don't like it, it is off putting to me, seems phoney or false. One that I really don't like, and this is terrible to say is the BETTER WAY TO STAY campaign video, it makes me nuts. It turns me off.
I want to see action shots, and the music better be good or non descript if there is music. And keep it short!

It might be a comment from the "non booker". Not sure how most people do it but I book and she goes along so she never has any idea where we are going to stay etc and she is prone to such comments as I can be a bit spotty in what I think is a fun place to stay.

It might be a comment from the "non booker". Not sure how most people do it but I book and she goes along so she never has any idea where we are going to stay etc and she is prone to such comments as I can be a bit spotty in what I think is a fun place to stay..
toddburme said:
It might be a comment from the "non booker". Not sure how most people do it but I book and she goes along so she never has any idea where we are going to stay etc and she is prone to such comments as I can be a bit spotty in what I think is a fun place to stay.
GOOD POINT!

I still cannot stand any of the people videos. It is just me perhaps, but I don't like it, it is off putting to me, seems phoney or false. One that I really don't like, and this is terrible to say is the BETTER WAY TO STAY campaign video, it makes me nuts. It turns me off.
I want to see action shots, and the music better be good or non descript if there is music. And keep it short!.
Joey Bloggs said:
I want to see action shots, and the music better be good or non descript if there is music. And keep it short!
I'm with you JB on the people videos as well as the BWTS video. The BWTS campaign is a little confused to say the least. I know they are wanting to promote B&B's as an industry but the video is directed more TO the industry trying to get more funds for the promotion. There needs to be 2 videos - one directed TO the industry (innkeepers) and another to promote the industry to the masses - showing us how they wish to promote our industry in a positive manor.

Back