Discount for weekly rental

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcalfee

Reaction score
In doing my homework before buying a B and B, I have noticed here in the US that no one has weekly rates. Do any of you offer discounts for a week or month? Or do travelers never stay for a full week?

I rarely have more than 3 nights (and 2 is the norm). IF someone books 7 nights, i charge for 6 and the 7th is a thank you for choosing us.
IF it is a working situation like my welder's helper was or the P A students, I have a different rate depending on the situation - although I rarely make that exception as I do not want someone in-house EVERY day for weeks on end.

Almost always, the request for a week rental is for our busy season, when that room would be filled anyway. With a 7 night stay, we would need to change the sheets and do a good cleaning at least twice in that week, so it really doesn't make any less work for us, so we don't do a discount.
If the request for a week stay is for an off season stay, I would do 7 nights, pay for 6.
Frankly, I hate thinking up 7 totally different breakfasts!

I have weekly rates and they come up automatically when you try to book for that long. We sometimes get guests for up to 2 weeks at a time. Had one for 17 nights and yes... a different breakfast every single night. They get one extra bonus, we do a load of laundry for them. For me, it's a lot less work, we only change the sheets once per 3/4 day. Plus we don't have a departure/arrival to deal with. Most of my long requests are off-season, though we do get some during the season including some guests we are rather fond of.

we have had people long term monday to Friday for 6 months which was fine but rarely more than that - we have live online booking - put in the dates and get a price, however i would do a discount on that basis as its less bother ie no check in's and check out's and if its workmen they only get one set of sheets for the week.

I have weekly rates and they come up automatically when you try to book for that long. We sometimes get guests for up to 2 weeks at a time. Had one for 17 nights and yes... a different breakfast every single night. They get one extra bonus, we do a load of laundry for them. For me, it's a lot less work, we only change the sheets once per 3/4 day. Plus we don't have a departure/arrival to deal with. Most of my long requests are off-season, though we do get some during the season including some guests we are rather fond of..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I have weekly rates and they come up automatically when you try to book for that long.
Same here.

I did not advertise specific weekly rates, I had a note on my website that said they are available on request. Depended on time of year, number of weeks, did they need breakfast etc. I had guests staying on and off sometimes for 9+ months .. of course they got a much better rate
They were some of the nicest guests I ever had

This is a great question! We had someone call today about a 2 week stay. Our owner only approved a 10% discount on a long term stay, but that doesn't make it affordable for most and I really wanted us to rethink it.
I guess there are plenty of pros and few cons to long term guests.
Could y'all please give an idea of what kind of discount you offer % wise? I was going to post a question about this anyways....

We do have weekly rates but do not advertise them we just discuss if they call. Mostly the question comes up for a business traveler not leisure couples or families.
Guess this would be something to think on and would depend on where you are located and the type of guest you attract. Once you have located your new investment do some seaching at like places to see if/how they handle this.

This is a great question! We had someone call today about a 2 week stay. Our owner only approved a 10% discount on a long term stay, but that doesn't make it affordable for most and I really wanted us to rethink it.
Could y'all please give an idea of what kind of discount you offer % wise? I was going to post a question about this anyways.....
My weekly discount works out to 7.5% on top of my online booking rate, so 16.75% off my rack rate, plus the load of laundry.
Say a room is rack rate of $100, so a week is normally $700. Online booking would give $630. And the weekly rate would go to $582.75. (So the discount looks bigger than it really is.) It's less than you boss's 10% off.

Mine is a vacation rental with no meals, and cleaning/new sheets only after departure, or once a week, which ever comes first, so my rates won't apply to a B&B.
(But if you're interested, it's 25% off for a stay of 7 nights or more, and 50% off for a stay of 30 days or more.)
I was once given this formula:
Daily rate should be 1/5 to 1/6 of weekly rate. (From that, you can take your daily rate and calculate a weekly rate.)
Monthly rates are only in slow periods and are equal to a 2 to 3 week rental during the same time period.

K9 I took into account that I only had to clean the room as an "occupied" and not as a check out every day, I only changed sheets and towels once a week or "on request more frequently". I did not have to serve breakfast. I also based my rates on what they could get from a "regular" hotel in the area that did offer a weekly rate. I also had to look at what was "reasonable". Would the person pay 30 nights x $100/night. Probably not. Often it was paid in advance. All these things were big plusses.
Now some Inns just do not need weekly business or may only take it at certain times, in my case the discount was "significant" but trust me it paid my "fixed" expenses during bad times and I do not believe I would have lost that number of regular bookings from it.

Could y'all please give an idea of what kind of discount you offer % wise? I was going to post a question about this anyways.....
For me it depends on what kind of mess I can expect - office type vs pipeline welder and what they expect. It is a negotiated agreement. For me it is usually room cleaned & sheets changed once a week. There is always the possibility of a shared bath - because it is always the room with the full-size bed that gets long-termed. The regularly $99 + tax per was given at $300 per week w/no breakfast - I put it on the books as $100 per night for 3 nights and comp the rest of the week for my bookkeeping. That way if she got laid-off, she was already paid for the week. She felt that was fair since she did not quibble. She liked the safety factor, the feeling of being at home, the someone to talk to and bum around with if she wanted to (she did). She was invited and went to some dinners and functions we had in town while she was here so she really was like family.
SHE took her boots off on the steps before she even got to the porch. I do not want someone who would not think to do that which is why we have only taken in female construction workers.

Back