Discounting - This Has To Stop!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eric, if this is happening again and again, maybe you should try doing what red handed jill said she did. raise your rates then offer the discount to bring them down to just above the rate you want to be paid. if you are consistently getting those emails, then your 'audience' of potential guests is searching for a 'deal'. those who don't want to pay over a certain amount still won't be booking your rooms, that but those with a psychological need to 'get a better rate' will..
Let's see... I have three basic rooms, maybe I am pricing them wrong....
  1. Queen Bed with ensuite
  2. King Bed with shared bath
  3. Queen Bed with shared bath
Rooms type 2 and 3 share a bathroom between them.
My rack rates in CAD are $139/$149, $129/$139 and $109/$119. We offer a basic $10 off a night when you book two nights in a row. So essentially everyone is really paying $129/$139, $119/$129 and $99/$109. (It's $10 more on Fridays and Saturdays).
Room type 3 is the smallest room. There are two of these types... One is larger than the other, but the smaller one has a private Romeo & Juliet balcony. We charge $5 extra in the summer and $5 less in the winter for that room.
Room type 2 is exceptionally large. We have extra beds in each, one takes 3 and the other takes 4. They have a sitting area.
Room type 1 is our only en-suite.
Looking at some of my competitors... one has private bath for each room, but some are ensuite and some aren't. Prices are $135, $152, $135, $145 and $156. Another has only shared bath for $85-$105 but continental breakfast and more rooms to a bath than me. Another up the street is $145 a night tax in, that makes it really $122.97 and that's private bath. Another with shared bath is $97 to $87 a night. Another, with a good rep, but not as good a neighbourhood is $125 double bed, $145 king bed and finally $189 for ensuite. Another in the area is $140 with ensuite, $125 queen shared and $110 double shared.
See, it's not so easy to pick a price. (And I only compared B&Bs). My King rooms are exceptional in size.
If you're running nearly 100% occupancy in your busy season, then you're not charging enough! You could make much more money and work a little less hard if you increased your rates, at least for your busy season.

Agree, it is a pain. Just recently Customer called over two days, trying to get a discount by claiming that "my competitor" up river offered a discount. I said that the other inn wasn't a competitor, it was a colleague and that it was a lovely place and Customer would enjoy the stay. Customer persisted, he wanted to stay here. I told him he can book online if he changes his mind. He said "I know I can book online (insulted), but I can't get a deal online!" I bit my tongue. Didn't say the obvious: don't want him here.
We get ... maybe a third of telephone contacts ... asking for a discount. Mostly it is due dillegence: if a discount is available, why not ask? Under some circumstances we will make a small concession e.g. weekday rate on a slow weekend or the $175 room for the $165 price of the room that is not available for one night of the requested stay. But for me, these are reasonable accomodations.
Of the folk asking for "deals" we don't give what they want and most don't book with us, thankfully. Sometimes we have lots of empty rooms, but I would rather go empty than feed a bottom-fisher -- I don't need their money that badly..
priceline+negotiator.JPG

eric, if this is happening again and again, maybe you should try doing what red handed jill said she did. raise your rates then offer the discount to bring them down to just above the rate you want to be paid. if you are consistently getting those emails, then your 'audience' of potential guests is searching for a 'deal'. those who don't want to pay over a certain amount still won't be booking your rooms, that but those with a psychological need to 'get a better rate' will..
My rack rates in CAD are $139/$149, $129/$139 and $109/$119. We offer a basic $10 off a night when you book two nights in a row. So essentially everyone is really paying $129/$139, $119/$129 and $99/$109. (It's $10 more on Fridays and Saturdays).
Room type 3 is the smallest room. There are two of these types... One is larger than the other, but the smaller one has a private Romeo & Juliet balcony. We charge $5 extra in the summer and $5 less in the winter for that room.
Room type 2 is exceptionally large. We have extra beds in each, one takes 3 and the other takes 4. They have a sitting area.
Looking at some of my competitors... one has private bath for each room, but some are ensuite and some aren't. Prices are $135, $152, $135, $145 and $156. Another has only shared bath for $85-$105 but continental breakfast and more rooms to a bath than me. Another up the street is $145 a night tax in, that makes it really $122.97 and that's private bath. Another with shared bath is $97 to $87 a night. Another, with a good rep, but not as good a neighbourhood is $125 double bed, $145 king bed and finally $189 for ensuite. Another in the area is $140 with ensuite, $125 queen shared and $110 double shared.
See, it's not so easy to pick a price. (And I only compared B&Bs). My King rooms are exceptional in size.
They ALL sounds too low to me! But I guess you have to see what your competitors are doing and go from there.
Well, excluding hotels... my copetitors are from $87 a night at the low end to $189 on the high end. I'm from $99 to $139 including the online booking discount with a two night minimum. I have to admit that the one on the low end has almost no rank on TA and the one at the high end is one below me on TA.
Hotels are running from $75 to $170 a night in my neighbourhood. $107 to $247 for downtown (the next neighbourhood over).
I am with the others if you are running at 100% occupancy in season put the rates up $30 and see what happens. I always start higher than I want so I have wiggle room but a good chunk book online so I don't have to deal with wigglers.

They ALL sounds too low to me! But I guess you have to see what your competitors are doing and go from there.
Well, excluding hotels... my copetitors are from $87 a night at the low end to $189 on the high end. I'm from $99 to $139 including the online booking discount with a two night minimum. I have to admit that the one on the low end has almost no rank on TA and the one at the high end is one below me on TA.
Hotels are running from $75 to $170 a night in my neighbourhood. $107 to $247 for downtown (the next neighbourhood over).
Two years ago we raised our rates 10% in hopes of dropping occupancy 10%. Same money, less work for us. For that high of an occupancy rate you should charge more.

Two years ago we raised our rates 10% in hopes of dropping occupancy 10%. Same money, less work for us. For that high of an occupancy rate you should charge more.
Do you think that we should post prices or should we simply send people to check availability? It's odd... B&Bs generally have a price page, but we don't see that at hotels. You don't really see a page with prices.

Do you think that we should post prices or should we simply send people to check availability? It's odd... B&Bs generally have a price page, but we don't see that at hotels. You don't really see a page with prices.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Instead of listing the price, try listing a range. For example: XYZ room $120- $145 (see calendar for current rate)

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Instead of listing the price, try listing a range. For example: XYZ room $120- $145 (see calendar for current rate)
I used to list the prices with a range, all they wanted to know was why they couldn't have the room with that lowest price range... in high season. So I split high and low season. And I put a + up after the number now.
But I find it odd the B&Bs seem to have price pages when hotels don't.
Has anyone done some testing... does getting people into check availability for prices work better or not?

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I used to list the prices with a range, all they wanted to know was why they couldn't have the room with that lowest price range... in high season. So I split high and low season. And I put a + up after the number now.
Has anyone done some testing... does getting people into check availability for prices work better or not?
Are you getting a lot of phone reservations? If so, you might consider the online discount many here are doing. 95% of mine are online reservations. It seems that I only have my problems with the phone reservations.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
A neighbouring B&B to me has a price page but does completely different prices on Late rooms and Boo k com seems a bit pointless to me. either keep them all the same or put in a range. I always think it puts people off ringing or enquiring if it is too high and you are off season.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Prices + availability on the same page. I absolutely hate having to play 'find the price' when I'm making a rez.

Saw the butt-ugliest B&B in the world this week. I won't disclose the name or location, but suffice it to say the sign out front that said "BAIL BONDS SOLD HERE" was three times larger than the b&B sign, and in a more prominent position.
Just for props I looked online and after MUCH googling finally found their weird url and there were virtually no outside photos of this formerly historically accurate 1700's home - just 10 years ago - which is now an atrocity, but four room photos, ne'r a price on any of them but an "Availability" tab that led you to a page that said to email them for room rates/availability.

Back