Discounts are expensive

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might start offering free shipping.
wink_smile.gif

Oh wait, that is the gas promotion with BWTS, oh yeah another expensive discounting promotion.

This was my favorite and a sure-fire winner for an Adults only B&B:
"[COLOR= rgb(61, 61, 61)]Hire a clown, a magician, some dude who makes balloon animals. Let him wander the restaurant, or rope off a small area for "the stage."[/COLOR]

"[COLOR= rgb(61, 61, 61)]Hire a clown, a magician, some dude who makes balloon animals. Let him wander the restaurant, or rope off a small area for "the stage."[/COLOR].
Proud Texan said:
"Hire a clown, a magician, some dude who makes balloon animals. Let him wander the restaurant, or rope off a small area for "the stage."
I remember our friends in Australia taking us to some restaurant that did this. Adults. Yeah, right. I was baffled, why were we needing to see this guy? They just thought it was so great. I must have missed it somehow.

2. Product packages
Package a selection of products according to a theme (color, season, gift idea, topic, whatever) and sell as a special package.
26. Partner up
Find a related, complementary business and put together packages that include your service and their products.
27. Make it convenient
Working people often find it difficult to get things done during "business hours" because they're working, too. So offer an "at your convenience" option for those customers. For an additional fee, you'll extend your hours or make special arrangements for weekends, nights or holidays.
This is what I do with my packages. It is all done for them, they just have to show up and pay one charge. People also like the inn-to-inn. They get to experience 2 different B & Bs and 2 different areas. My bikers just left on their daytrip. They loved the other inn. Since this time it was 2 couples, she charged on couple's cc for staying with her and I will charge the other for the stay here. Her room rates are less than mine so she makes more profit but I don't care because I am getting what I want. the guests are happy as heck! And believe me - this package discounts NOTHING!

I think packages is particularly a great concept. One of the reasons websites like LivingSocial and other flash sale companies have been successful in the travel space is because busy consumers don't want to spend time planning a trip, they want it delivered in a pretty package for them. Creating say a "romantic" package with chocolate strawberries and flowers takes the work out of it for the guest.
On another note, while this thread is about not discounting, I do think discounting packages is important. You don't need to do 50% off like LivingSocial, but having some kind of extra value for the customer will increase the number of packages you sell. By adding additional items or amenities with the package you're getting more revenue anyways. First priority is to make it worth it for you as a business, but also make it enticing to the customer.

I think packages is particularly a great concept. One of the reasons websites like LivingSocial and other flash sale companies have been successful in the travel space is because busy consumers don't want to spend time planning a trip, they want it delivered in a pretty package for them. Creating say a "romantic" package with chocolate strawberries and flowers takes the work out of it for the guest.
On another note, while this thread is about not discounting, I do think discounting packages is important. You don't need to do 50% off like LivingSocial, but having some kind of extra value for the customer will increase the number of packages you sell. By adding additional items or amenities with the package you're getting more revenue anyways. First priority is to make it worth it for you as a business, but also make it enticing to the customer..
David Pearce said:
On another note, while this thread is about not discounting, I do think discounting packages is important. You don't need to do 50% off like LivingSocial, but having some kind of extra value for the customer will increase the number of packages you sell. By adding additional items or amenities with the package you're getting more revenue anyways. First priority is to make it worth it for you as a business, but also make it enticing to the customer.
We are fortunate to be in Virginia wine coutry, and got the license and insurance to run wine tours. 95% of our guests book the tours and we discout for them 10%. We make the same money on a night stay on the wine tours. DH is so spoiled now he does not want to accept reservations even during the week if they don't book a wine tour!!!!
If any of you are in a historical area I would recommend doing walking tours. Especially ghost / local mystery stories. I love that stuff! I'd book it!
Riki

On another note, while this thread is about not discounting, I do think discounting packages is important. You don't need to do 50% off like LivingSocial, but having some kind of extra value for the customer will increase the number of packages you sell. By adding additional items or amenities with the package you're getting more revenue anyways. First priority is to make it worth it for you as a business, but also make it enticing to the customer..
David Pearce said:
We are fortunate to be in Virginia wine coutry, and got the license and insurance to run wine tours. 95% of our guests book the tours and we discout for them 10%. We make the same money on a night stay on the wine tours. DH is so spoiled now he does not want to accept reservations even during the week if they don't book a wine tour!!!!
If any of you are in a historical area I would recommend doing walking tours. Especially ghost / local mystery stories. I love that stuff! I'd book it!
Riki
Riki that's great! Yea any kind of extra activity or amenity you can offer is more money in your pocket, and usually a better experience for the guest. Our company is located here in central Kentucky (horse and bourbon country) and many of the local inns have partnered with horse farm tour companies to offer packages. Take advantage of anything unique about your area.

We have already "partnered up" with the local vineyard and golfcourse. So, far no takers.

David Pearce said:
Riki
Riki that's great! Yea any kind of extra activity or amenity you can offer is more money in your pocket, and usually a better experience for the guest. Our company is located here in central Kentucky (horse and bourbon country) and many of the local inns have partnered with horse farm tour companies to offer packages. Take advantage of anything unique about your area.
David Pearce said:
One of our winery owners were touring Kentucky and stopped at one of the burbon spots. THey took home used barrels and use them to age their merlot based port style dessert wine. It's a huge hit now!
RIki

We have a local restaurant that serves local cuisine that we made a deal that offers 10% off if we make the reservation for the guest.
I was wondering if I should make a package in the winter that offers a $50 g/c for a local restaurant (Number 271 of 1394 on TA) which I can get for $40 at Costco, so I can include it in the package for $40 and it adds value or maybe a movie night coupon, which offers 2 admissions, 2 soft drinks and a popcorn. It costs me about $25, but just two movie admissions are $25.50. So if I add it into the package for $25 extra, they get an extra two drinks and a popcorn.
What do others think? We really haven't done anything like this in the past, but winter (slow season) is coming...

David Pearce said:
Riki
David Pearce said:
One of our winery owners were touring Kentucky and stopped at one of the burbon spots. THey took home used barrels and use them to age their merlot based port style dessert wine. It's a huge hit now!
RIki
Wow that's pretty interesting. We have a brewery in town that uses old bourbon barrels for a beer they brew (which is very good), but I've never heard of using it for wine.

David Pearce said:
Riki
David Pearce said:
RIki
Wow that's pretty interesting. We have a brewery in town that uses old bourbon barrels for a beer they brew (which is very good), but I've never heard of using it for wine.
David Pearce said:
Yep a port styled dessert wine. Has a distinct bourbon nose and is hugely popular.
Riki

We have a local restaurant that serves local cuisine that we made a deal that offers 10% off if we make the reservation for the guest.
I was wondering if I should make a package in the winter that offers a $50 g/c for a local restaurant (Number 271 of 1394 on TA) which I can get for $40 at Costco, so I can include it in the package for $40 and it adds value or maybe a movie night coupon, which offers 2 admissions, 2 soft drinks and a popcorn. It costs me about $25, but just two movie admissions are $25.50. So if I add it into the package for $25 extra, they get an extra two drinks and a popcorn.
What do others think? We really haven't done anything like this in the past, but winter (slow season) is coming....
Hey Eric, I think you're onto the rigth path but also be careful. It appears the amenities you are thinking of packaging will add value to the customer but not bring in extra revenue for your property. This isn't necessarily bad, but you don't want to go buy a bunch of movie certificates and then find out nobody wants to go see a movie. I would recommend only offering the package for prepaid bookings through your website. If you have Facebook or Twitter, or a blog you can promote it on there. Then when someone books the package you can go puchase the gift certificate. Value-added packages can and will bring in more bookings, so don't be scared to try it, just make sure you don't put yourself in a situation where you lose money on gift certificates you can't sell.
Also, when it comes to restaurants, people love to eat out when they travel so restaurant gift certificates are always great, especially if you can offer them at a discount to provide value for the customer. A few things to be careful of:
1. Make sure the restaurant is actually good. Remember you are "recommending" it. If it's part of a package then essentially you're limiting their choice of dinner to that one restaurant, you don't want them coming back upset that it was terrible food.
2. Make sure the gift certificate isn't for more than they can eat. If it's a $50 gift certificate for a place with $12 entrees it's hard to spend the whole amount, since they're travelling they can't spend it another day so it's value is lost.
3. Try talking directly to the restaurants about packaging gift certificates or even vouchers with your rooms. You said you have a place that will give 10% off, talk to them or another restaurant and let them know you want to create a package with dinner at their restaurant. See if you can get a deal that includes "dinner for two" at so and so restaurant that includes two entrees and dessert. Work out a deal so both you and the restaurant can make money. The restaurant should be willing to provide a significant discount since your guests are from out of town, and if the voucher doesn't include drinks they can make money off drink sales as well. It's a win-win for you both.

im working on a shop local deal with a shopping street just up the road from me they have a Jewlers, butchers, 2 cafe's music shop, beauty salon, Tool shop, electrical shop, 3rd best cheese deli in the country, New craft shop, pet shop and a book shop. We are going to work together to put together a web site and coupon book as well as relevant special offers and link it all up with the accommodation providers - ie B&B's get a coupon book. Web site is aimed at locals to encourage them to shop local. there may also be a monthly prize draw for a goody bag of things from the shops etc. Its all in the ideas stage now but I am really excited about it.

Back