Discover Merchant Account scam

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Got a call from someone saying they are from the L ega l Cl ub working for Discover. I told them I don't speak to anyone but my cc processor and I hung up. Then did some research on the phone number. Turns out they are trying to get you to sign up for a merchant protection plan which they charge you between $29-$39/month for.
Just be warned. They apparently do stoop to saying that they are sending an information pkg and are verifying the address. Once you do that they rattle off this prepared speech about the service which includes the mention of the dollar amount but a lot of people seemed to have missed that part.
We get these sorts of calls all the time, but it's been awhile since anyone called about our cc processing.

Funny I got a call from someone this morning wanting to discuss my Discover Card account. I don't have a Discover card, nor do we take Discover at the Lodge.

Funny I got a call from someone this morning wanting to discuss my Discover Card account. I don't have a Discover card, nor do we take Discover at the Lodge..
Right now the credit card companies are doing all they can to bring in more $$$$$ before the new laws go into effect. We have cut up all but one card and when we do use it, it is paid off immediately. We mostly use our debit card now.
Got a statement from JCP the other day warning us their interest rate was going up to over 29%!!!!! Give me a break!!!! They don't refund shipping costs any longer either unless you have it shipped to a store...what's the use of that???? I will only buy from then now when free shipping is offered.

Funny I got a call from someone this morning wanting to discuss my Discover Card account. I don't have a Discover card, nor do we take Discover at the Lodge..
River Wren said:
Funny I got a call from someone this morning wanting to discuss my Discover Card account. I don't have a Discover card, nor do we take Discover at the Lodge.
If you take Visa & MC then usually you HAVE to take Discover.

River Wren said:
We were bombarded with these vishing calls for weeks in the early summer.
It took a bit of work but reported them and, with a bit of persistence, was able to get them stopped.
They are a total scam and the caller ID is generally bogus.
My advice: report them to your state public utilities commission. Demand action and follow-up.
They're not only looking for information to help with sales calls. They're looking for information to commit fraud - and will often call on your toll-free number, racking up expenses for the inn.
Don't answer. Report. And make sure your staff knows to keep a log of date/time of all calls so your utility commission will actually do something about them.

River Wren said:
It took a bit of work but reported them and, with a bit of persistence, was able to get them stopped.
My advice: report them to your state public utilities commission. Demand action and follow-up.
They're not only looking for information to help with sales calls. They're looking for information to commit fraud - and will often call on your toll-free number, racking up expenses for the inn.
Don't answer. Report. And make sure your staff knows to keep a log of date/time of all calls so your utility commission will actually do something about them.
My utility commission can't even get my phone and internet service to work. I get a discount on my phone bill because the service is so bad here.
sad_smile.gif

If they display false phone numbers, not much can be done. This one at least gave me a name of a company that I could search on.

River Wren said:
We never had to take Discover.

River Wren said:
Me either.

River Wren said:
Bree said:
River Wren said:
Nope, not here... But I do as well as Amex.

River Wren said:
It may be processor dependent then because I am required to accept D in order to maintain my ability to accept V & MC.

River Wren said:
My utility commission can't even get my phone and internet service to work. I get a discount on my phone bill because the service is so bad here.
sad_smile.gif

If they display false phone numbers, not much can be done. This one at least gave me a name of a company that I could search on.
They may not be able to improve the level of your service but they should be interested in stopping vishing.
Vishing (like phishing by email but using telephones instead) displays a fake company ID to make you think you're talking with a trusted vendor.
We started getting these calls while I was on vacation. First mistake: my innkeeper took the call and took a message. They knew they had a live one.
After the Discover scam didn't work, they started with Visa and then Amex. Before it stopped, it had gotten to several calls each day.
The calls look so real you can see that a lot of folks would fall for them, giving up bank info, merchant account information and the like. That's what they're looking for; these are not calls to set you up for a follow-up call from a salesperson.
Even if you have poor phone service, you should report these calls.

River Wren said:
sad_smile.gif

They may not be able to improve the level of your service but they should be interested in stopping vishing.
Vishing (like phishing by email but using telephones instead) displays a fake company ID to make you think you're talking with a trusted vendor.
We started getting these calls while I was on vacation. First mistake: my innkeeper took the call and took a message. They knew they had a live one.
After the Discover scam didn't work, they started with Visa and then Amex. Before it stopped, it had gotten to several calls each day.
The calls look so real you can see that a lot of folks would fall for them, giving up bank info, merchant account information and the like. That's what they're looking for; these are not calls to set you up for a follow-up call from a salesperson.
so the caller id actually shows what looks like a legitimate business is calling?
i remember bank of a calling for my sister and the number was private or unknown or something on caller id ... i was shocked when it turned out to be a legitimate call! my sister called the bank number and spoke to whoever and then went over to the local branch and took care of whatever it was.
how is the average person supposed to sort out nonsense like that?

i hardly ever got requests to take discover. who runs it? is it fading out? i just never think of it much. seems to be visa visa visa heavily promoted.

i hardly ever got requests to take discover. who runs it? is it fading out? i just never think of it much. seems to be visa visa visa heavily promoted..
seashanty said:
i hardly ever got requests to take discover. who runs it? is it fading out? i just never think of it much. seems to be visa visa visa heavily promoted.
I get requests nearly every weekend when they pull that evil discover card out of their wallets...I cringe and say "we prefer visa" They say "We figured so, just thought we would give it a shot"

River Wren said:
sad_smile.gif

so the caller id actually shows what looks like a legitimate business is calling?
i remember bank of a calling for my sister and the number was private or unknown or something on caller id ... i was shocked when it turned out to be a legitimate call! my sister called the bank number and spoke to whoever and then went over to the local branch and took care of whatever it was.
how is the average person supposed to sort out nonsense like that?
Yep, the caller ID actually says Discover, or American Express or whatever.
That's what makes vishing so very dangerous. Online most of us are pretty skeptical. But when the caller ID on your telephone has the name of a real live business showing - but it's not them! - well, it makes it difficult to know it's a scam.
When I came back from vacation, I thought I was getting a real call about our Discover merchant account from the message my innkeeper took.
But here's the thing, I didn't call the number they left. I called the number I had on file associated with the merchant account - and they didn't know anything about it. So I did some research and that was the first time I'd ever heard of vishing.
They look like totally real calls.

Back